Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a couple of drops of transmission fluid under my borrego yesterday. After further inspection, it appears that it is coming from the rear portion of the transmission oil pan. I can't tell if it is actually leaking from where the pan is screwed to the underside of the transmission, or if it is the plug. It is only leaking a very small amount (like 2 drops a day). I guess the best thing to do would be to drain the fluid, remove the pan, replace the gasket, and see if that takes care of it.

I can't really think of any other place the fluid would be leaking out of.

Does anyone know if this would be covered under the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty? I have 88,000 miles on it now.

The gasket is approximately $80.00 online

part #4528249000

The pan, which is make out of plastic costs like $250.00. Crazy price for a piece of plastic...

Here is the parts diagram/website with the best price I can find.

https://www.kiapartsnow.com/genuine/kia-gasket-oil-pan~4528249000.html

·
Registered
103 Posts
I noticed a couple of drops of transmission fluid under my borrego yesterday. After further inspection, it appears that it is coming from the rear portion of the transmission oil pan. I can't tell if it is actually leaking from where the pan is screwed to the underside of the transmission, or if it is the plug. It is only leaking a very small amount (like 2 drops a day). I guess the best thing to do would be to drain the fluid, remove the pan, replace the gasket, and see if that takes care of it.

I can't really think of any other place the fluid would be leaking out of.

Does anyone know if this would be covered under the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty? I have 88,000 miles on it now.

The gasket is approximately $80.00 online

part #4528249000

The pan, which is make out of plastic costs like $250.00. Crazy price for a piece of plastic...

Here is the parts diagram/website with the best price I can find.

https://www.kiapartsnow.com/genuine/kia-gasket-oil-pan~4528249000.html
The transmission is part of the 10 year/100,000 warranty as long as you are the original purchaser. I also have the V8 EX 2WD with 93k miles. At around 80k miles my engine rear seal was leaking and was fixed under warranty. I'm going to replace my trans fluid soon. Even if you get your leak fixed under warranty, you should consider changing the pan since the filter is an integral part of the pan, unless you are not planning on keeping the vehicle much longer. Don’t believe the “Life Time” fluid thing. Kia knows that your transmission will last at least 100,000 on the original fluid…after that it’s on your dime and that’s what they are planning on. My original fluid was changed at 22k when Kia performed TSB 035 to replace the transmission module, so I’ll be at 75k when I change the fluid and pan. Although not in the owner’s manual, from what I’ve read, the transmission fluid should be changed at 75k and every 50k thereafter. Good Luck.
BTW, the pan costs more than $250, but it does include the gasket:
https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-pan-assy-ata-oil~45280-49000.html

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called my local dealership and they didn't think the pan would be covered under warranty if it had a leak. They also didn't think the leak would even be covered under warranty. I don't have a lot of confidence in my dealership's technicians from previous experiences. I think I would rather buy a new pan (aftermarket for around $85 - $150 from various parts stores), and have my local mechanic whom I trust pull the old pan, replace it, and fill it with new oil. The procedure for filling the transmission is not simple due to the oil temp/expansion of the oil. I would feel confident in doing it myself if I had a lift. The new pan has an integrated gasket too, something I learned.

PowerTorque FK429 - Automatic Transmission Filter Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

https://www.amazon.com/ATP-B-409-Automatic-Transmission-Integrated/dp/B00P194CZO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

·
Registered
74 Posts
Your V8 Borrego uses the ZF 6HP26 transmission which is commonly used on many vehicles world wide. So common and such a great transmission design that it is used in the largest selling vehicle in the US . . . the Ford F150 pickup. Since this application probably uses more transmissions than all the other applications in the world put together Ford builds them under license from ZF in Ohio.

Ford recommends transmission fluid drain and fill at 150k miles. That is drain and fill, not filter change. There is a drain plug in the pan so this is really a simple DIY project. There is a specified fill procedure involving shifting and temperature that needs to be followed but that's easy. If you have ever changed a transmission filter you found that it is not really a filter in the sense of an oil filter but a fine screen to keep 'chunks' from circulating before being picked up by the magnets.

The leak problems that have surfaced with this transmission are usually related to the solenoid control wire connector at the rear of the transmission not the pan or gasket. You do have to pull the pan to replace the connector plug.

As to ATF replacement, I would suggest that your local Ford store is a less expensive solution than your Kia dealer. Ford uses their Mercon SP transmission fluid which is less expensive than the Kia branded version. My local Ford store charged $50 labor and $56 for the 6 quarts of fluid or about $120 with tax and environmental junk fees.

Being conservative on maintenance I chose to drain and fill at 100k miles.

A drain and fill will only get about 6 quarts out of the 10 quart capacity. The remainder is in the torque converter. That gives you a 60% fluid change. Do it again after a thousand miles and you get 86% fluid replacement.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the information!

UPDATE:After crawling under the borrego today with a flashlight, I looked at the seal sleeve that sometimes leaks and that area looked all dry. I believe I discovered the source of the leak.

The tail shaft assembly, where the driveshaft connects to the rear part of the transmission appears to be where the fluid is coming from. Looking up above that area, you can see where fluid has hit the underside of the vehicle from the spinning of the driveshaft. The fluid is then travelling down the backside of the transmission and accumulating on the oil pan itself.

This makes sense to me. If the vehicle is operating at temp, the oil slowing coming out through that rear seal, getting spun around by the shaft, and then when I park the vehicle, the residual slowly moves down to the base of the transmission.

This should be under warranty.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my appointment today at the Kia dealership. The 8:15 am appointment for the diagnosis of the leak took over 3 hours. When I spoke with the service advisor, I explained to him where the leak was coming from and exactly what part needed to be replaced. He put his "best" guy on the job. Well after looking at it for what seemed to be an eternity, he comes back and said the tailshaft seal needs to be replaced. He said there aren't any of those seals in the US. He then says we are just going to replace the whole tranny for $14,000 warranty cost. WTF. After going back and forth with Kia tech, they finally said they had some seals for the trans in Korea.

To make a long story short they are going to order the part from Korea which won't arrive for about 2 to 3 weeks and then install it for me. If the transmission continues to leak it looks like I'll be out of luck because the warranty company (certified pre owned) will not provide a transmission that cost more than the vehicle is worth. With the parts being this hard to come by it makes me wonder if I should sell it after they repair it and move on. I don't really want to sell it because I've kept the vehicle in excellent condition.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Perhaps you should reread my post (#4) on the ZF 6HP26. Your Borrego transmission is a very common transmission world wide. Go to your local Ford store and buy a rear transmission seal for a F150 truck. If you want to pay more go to the Jaguar parts counter and buy the same thing for twice as much.

Or order a ZF OEM seal on line for less than $20 and available in 2-3 days.

You are correct; this should be under warranty.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:

After going in for service on 3/27 and having the problem diagnosed as the output shaft seal, the dealership has still not received the part. This frustrates me because it is such a simple part and regardless of where the part is located (Korea), it should not take this long to arrive. They said they could just order a whole new transmission if the little seal could not be located. Bad part is, the transmission is $14,000 and the vehicle is worth less than that. I don't feel as if the dealership is doing anything to help speed things up and resolve the problem. Apart from this annoying leak, the vehicle is in excellent condition. In the meantime, it sits in the garage because I don't want to lose too much fluid.

If the dealer can get a brand new transmission (which will probably sit on a shelf forever), but can't get the dinky little rear seal, there is a problem. They said they won't even attempt getting the new transmission because the warranty would not pay for it since it is such a high priced part. What good is a warranty if the ratio between part costs and vehicle value is the determining factor?

I filed a complaint with Kia customer assistance and we will see if that brings any help to this situation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you bring my comments on the general parts availability from other sources to the service folk's attention?

I understand that there is a strong direction for major components replacement rather than repair in the auto dealer business but the seal is a pretty simple replacement.

Call a local auto transmission shop and ask if they can do the replacement then share that with the dealer service department.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is why I generally avoid dealerships (not that tricky since I never own anything CLOSE to new). "Procedure" always seems to trump logic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts