Kia Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,632 Posts
I was just on vacation and got frustrated with the navigation and pressed Restore To Default thinking it would just reset toll road, etc. settings.
It wiped out all my saved addresses and now the vehicle speed doesn't show anymore. I may do the new update soon but may have to order a new SD card from Amazon.
1,500 mile trip and the SX ran great.
Vehicle speed is located in settings.... Look for it...

Reactions: SSportage

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,632 Posts
I have not updated, and will not update, for a couple reasons (and they have nothing to do with fear of change). I don't use any of the NAV functions (using AA), and have had no issues with the system functions I do use. I see no need to update what currently serves my needs, just to have the latest (and from what I see here, not necessarily the greatest).

If the changes made fixed bugs/issues that affected my usage, I would update in a flash (pun intended).

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
The map update includes systems changes. There are also adjustments to the AA and CarPlay interface that would enable new AA/CarPlay functions/display. I haven't looked at the detail, but I always update my infotainment system just like I update my smartphone and computer. That way I never have compatibility issues. Now that the updates are basically free, I see no reason not to update.... Just like your smartphone and computer, the infotainment system may well have a few bugs -- especially with new apps. We don't know all of the system changes, but I've never had any issues. I always wait about 2 weeks after the update is posted just to make sure the update works.....

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
1,112 Posts
Vehicle speed is located in settings.... Look for it...
I pushed every map setting and didn't see how to get the speedometer reading to show again. It's no biggie but I kind of liked it.

·
Registered
2021 Sportage SX 2.0T-GDI AWD
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think we should close this discussion. I realize I am VERY particular about some things to a degree that most folks dont really connect with.

Yes, I am one of those people that don't like change ... at least in cars. I prefer cars from before 1974 (emissions), and definitely from before 1994 (black box).

Everyone is different. This UI change - and the fact that Kia didn't warn about it - combined with a myriad of other niggling annoyances with this vehicle (that mostly did not exist in my 2017 LX that was stolen sadly) - are enough to make me try to sell this and go back to driving my 2004 GMC Canyon as a daily driver. At least that is what I tell my self every time the e-brake or the push-to-start don't work as expected, or I have to look at that radio UI.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,632 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think we should close this discussion. I realize I am VERY particular about some things to a degree that most folks dont really connect with.

Yes, I am one of those people that don't like change ... at least in cars. I prefer cars from before 1974 (emissions), and definitely from before 1994 (black box).

Everyone is different. This UI change - and the fact that Kia didn't warn about it - combined with a myriad of other niggling annoyances with this vehicle (that mostly did not exist in my 2017 LX that was stolen sadly) - are enough to make me try to sell this and go back to driving my 2004 GMC Canyon as a daily driver. At least that is what I tell my self every time the e-brake or the push-to-start don't work as expected, or I have to look at that radio UI.
I don't know how old you are, but I had my first car in 1960 (a 1953 Chevy with 2 speed Powerglide transmission and a 6 cyl) and would never want to go back to that. Then I had a 1962 Renault Dauphine with about 12 hp and a 3 speed. You can have that as well. My first new car was a 1969 Triumph TR6. Great memories but I recently drove one and couldn't believe how rough it was, how small the pedals were, and how having just 100 hp isn't really much fun. 4 speed stick? I've owned 1970's muscle cars, but I wouldn't want one as a daily driver. Power windows? Count me in. You can have your crank windows and manual vents. Listening to SiriusXM, USB drives, and streaming music? Count me in again. Air conditioning that actually works in Las Vegas where I live? You betcha. Emissions? I grew up in Los Angeles and you can't imagine what it was like before legislation. You'd fly into LAX and all you would see is a dark grey cloud over the whole area. Today, there is a light grey cloud, but nowhere near what it was back then.

So, I think what we have today is eons better than the past and you are really missing out if you like that old stuff. I'm in my mid-70's, but perhaps in another 5 years when I hit 80 I'll have dementia and think that what we had in the past is better....

Reactions: fredp

·
Registered
227 Posts

Don't give up : Others here are interested especially in that poor NAV update your photos show.
Just a suggestion: when I last updated the Nav in my 2017 SX , I ordered the SD card directly from MnSoft.
(rather than downloading it & copying to your SD card). It came in a SD plastic case and that case was inside a KIA colorful/advertisement CD case.
The install 6/7/2020 went well and it is real nice, BUT had it been poor/unacceptable I could have put back my previous SD card.
PS: Thanks to your input I won't be doing (or need) any updates until I hear that KIA/MnSoft has made corrections.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm considerably younger. My first car was a Datsun B310 (used - 4sp man) in 1978 IIRC, followed by a (used - 3sp auto) 1978 Ford Fairmont in 1982, a (new - 5sp man) 1987 Mazda 323 and a (new - 5 sp man) 1993 Acura Integra (first vehicle I ever even rode in that had A/C). I would still have either of those last two cars as a daily driver today if they hadn't been wrecked. That Mazda got 30+mpg and with the 5sp was very peppy. Around 1980 I used to love driving my father's 1967 IH Travelall. Today I have this Sportage that I complain about all the time, and my 2004 GMC Canyon.

Denver used to have really terrible air also, compounded by our strong inversion layer 1/2 the year. Most of the now I don't ever turn on any radio. Mostly a wasteland IMO. If you've ever lived somewhere with ice storms and weeks on end below 10℉, you can appreciate crank windows more, lol.

NO DOUBT, engines are so much better, with low emissions and more than 2x power-to-weight. Interiors are more comfortable, but also much harder to keep clean. I would take some of the fancy features ... IF they could come without the varied annoyances, nannying features (90% of the 'safety' 'features'), and without ALL of the surveillance (black box, gps, etc). This is why a true resto-mod appeals so much to me ... classic car with modern drivetrain, suspension, and no electronics.

Soon the electronics and automation will take over. I anticipate it will be illegal in most places to 'drive' your car (that is have it under human control vs automation) in well less than 20 years. When that happens I will walk, or ride a bike if I'm able, and never, ever even sit in such a device.

WALDT - we all like different things! 😀

I don't know how old you are, but I had my first car in 1960 (a 1953 Chevy with 2 speed Powerglide transmission and a 6 cyl) and would never want to go back to that. Then I had a 1962 Renault Dauphine with about 12 hp and a 3 speed. You can have that as well. My first new car was a 1969 Triumph TR6. Great memories but I recently drove one and couldn't believe how rough it was, how small the pedals were, and how having just 100 hp isn't really much fun. 4 speed stick? I've owned 1970's muscle cars, but I wouldn't want one as a daily driver. Power windows? Count me in. You can have your crank windows and manual vents. Listening to SiriusXM, USB drives, and streaming music? Count me in again. Air conditioning that actually works in Las Vegas where I live? You betcha. Emissions? I grew up in Los Angeles and you can't imagine what it was like before legislation. You'd fly into LAX and all you would see is a dark grey cloud over the whole area. Today, there is a light grey cloud, but nowhere near what it was back then.

So, I think what we have today is eons better than the past and you are really missing out if you like that old stuff. I'm in my mid-70's, but perhaps in another 5 years when I hit 80 I'll have dementia and think that what we had in the past is better....

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
826 Posts
The install 6/7/2020 went well and it is real nice, BUT had it been poor/unacceptable I could have put back my previous SD card.
No, you couldn't! The upgrade is not reversible, once you've done the upgrade, you're stuck with what you have. The Kia upgrade site makes that very clear. I put my old SD card in to see what happened when I did my update, and the system choked on it.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
456 Posts

Man as much as I loved my 67 Impala SS (and wish I had it back, but no as my DD), I would not want to have to mess with replacing sparkplugs, points and condenser, adjusting lifters and carburetors every 12k miles, changing oil/filter every 3k miles, replacing bias-ply tires every 12 - 18 months (much sooner if I let the beast loose). Miss it, but don't miss it, if you know what I mean.

Reactions: rvoll

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,632 Posts
I'm considerably younger. My first car was a Datsun B310 (used - 4sp man) in 1978 IIRC, followed by a (used - 3sp auto) 1978 Ford Fairmont in 1982, a (new - 5sp man) 1987 Mazda 323 and a (new - 5 sp man) 1993 Acura Integra (first vehicle I ever even rode in that had A/C). I would still have either of those last two cars as a daily driver today if they hadn't been wrecked. That Mazda got 30+mpg and with the 5sp was very peppy. Around 1980 I used to love driving my father's 1967 IH Travelall. Today I have this Sportage that I complain about all the time, and my 2004 GMC Canyon.

Denver used to have really terrible air also, compounded by our strong inversion layer 1/2 the year. Most of the now I don't ever turn on any radio. Mostly a wasteland IMO. If you've ever lived somewhere with ice storms and weeks on end below 10℉, you can appreciate crank windows more, lol.

NO DOUBT, engines are so much better, with low emissions and more than 2x power-to-weight. Interiors are more comfortable, but also much harder to keep clean. I would take some of the fancy features ... IF they could come without the varied annoyances, nannying features (90% of the 'safety' 'features'), and without ALL of the surveillance (black box, gps, etc). This is why a true resto-mod appeals so much to me ... classic car with modern drivetrain, suspension, and no electronics.

Soon the electronics and automation will take over. I anticipate it will be illegal in most places to 'drive' your car (that is have it under human control vs automation) in well less than 20 years. When that happens I will walk, or ride a bike if I'm able, and never, ever even sit in such a device.

WALDT - we all like different things! 😀
Electronics and automation will also be in your resto-mod whether you want them or not. I've seen a ton of resto-mods and they all have a number of computers because of modern crate engines, infotainment systems, high end audio, power windows, power brakes, modern transmissions, modern disc brakes, etc. As for surveillance, I've got nothing to hide, but I do turn some of the nannies off. I do like the parking sensors and blind spot monitoring -- especially as I get older. Having Homelink on my mirror is better than carrying a garage door opener. I have had a car or two cut in front of me (although that's unusual), and the emergency braking system was a help. The black box is helpful in determining how to make cars better, and again I have nothing to hide, so it's fine with me. Unless you carry an old style flip phone, your smartphone surveils you far more than any car, so I assume you don't carry one????????

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Even a flip-phone must have GPS since 1999, and regardless tower triangulation is a thing even if GPS wasn't there (and don't fool yourself that turning off location services is useful, it's not). I go to extensive lengths to limit my phone tracking, but certainly it does track me. I often do not carry it for exactly this reason, or intentionally leave it in locations other than where I actually am, just to obfuscate.

I have nothing to hide either. That I know of. Today. THAT IS NOT THE POINT ... NO ONE has the right to information about me, except me. And none of us can control any longer who has information about us. And therefor no way to know how that information might be used against us in the future. If you don't own a phone, never used credit, and wear face disguises 100% in public, you will eliminate 80% of the surveilance. No one does that of course and even the first two are barely feasible and certainly not the latter. My internet and tracking footprint is probably 30% of what many people have, but it's still vast.

Neither my phone carrier, nor the US federal government have any right to this information about me (or anyone). It is absolutely unconscionable. Neither does the insurance company nor the local police and court have any right to either location or blackbox information.

But I digress and rant. Like usual. LOL. Privacy has eroded almost entirely in the last 40 years (not that there was all that much privacy in the first half of the 20th century either really).

Yes a resto-mod will have a crate engine and transmission, so onboard ECU and TCU will be there. But I can make sure there is no black box, and I would never install an infotainment system (gawd I hate that made up word) anyway. Maybe a radio, if one can even be purchased with just an AM/FM tuner.

Electronics and automation will also be in your resto-mod whether you want them or not. I've seen a ton of resto-mods and they all have a number of computers because of modern crate engines, infotainment systems, high end audio, power windows, power brakes, modern transmissions, modern disc brakes, etc. As for surveillance, I've got nothing to hide, but I do turn some of the nannies off. I do like the parking sensors and blind spot monitoring -- especially as I get older. Having Homelink on my mirror is better than carrying a garage door opener. I have had a car or two cut in front of me (although that's unusual), and the emergency braking system was a help. The black box is helpful in determining how to make cars better, and again I have nothing to hide, so it's fine with me. Unless you carry an old style flip phone, your smartphone surveils you far more than any car, so I assume you don't carry one????????

·
Registered
456 Posts
Humorous that in the same sentence you state you hate "infotainment" as it is a "made up word", but you seem to have no problem using the made up word "gawd".

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,632 Posts
Even a flip-phone must have GPS since 1999, and regardless tower triangulation is a thing even if GPS wasn't there (and don't fool yourself that turning off location services is useful, it's not). I go to extensive lengths to limit my phone tracking, but certainly it does track me. I often do not carry it for exactly this reason, or intentionally leave it in locations other than where I actually am, just to obfuscate.

I have nothing to hide either. That I know of. Today. THAT IS NOT THE POINT ... NO ONE has the right to information about me, except me. And none of us can control any longer who has information about us. And therefor no way to know how that information might be used against us in the future. If you don't own a phone, never used credit, and wear face disguises 100% in public, you will eliminate 80% of the surveilance. No one does that of course and even the first two are barely feasible and certainly not the latter. My internet and tracking footprint is probably 30% of what many people have, but it's still vast.

Neither my phone carrier, nor the US federal government have any right to this information about me (or anyone). It is absolutely unconscionable. Neither does the insurance company nor the local police and court have any right to either location or blackbox information.

But I digress and rant. Like usual. LOL. Privacy has eroded almost entirely in the last 40 years (not that there was all that much privacy in the first half of the 20th century either really).

Yes a resto-mod will have a crate engine and transmission, so onboard ECU and TCU will be there. But I can make sure there is no black box, and I would never install an infotainment system (gawd I hate that made up word) anyway. Maybe a radio, if one can even be purchased with just an AM/FM tuner.
There are benefits and detriments to any technology. If I go on a bike ride and get hurt, people will know where I am because I have my phone. GPS is a great boon for getting to new places efficiently. If you get lost, GPS can be a savior even if you have a good sense of direction. An infotainment system contains a GPS nav, AM/FM radio, an ability to get SiriusXM, and control of car functions like your climate control. It also now lets you add apps of your own. So in your case, you don't have to get SiriusXM and apps if you don't want to. That leaves a nav and AM/FM radio. I guess if you don't want a nav, that's an issue. Many people use the word "infotainment" as a bogeyman rather than understanding what it is. The concept of "making a statement" when in actuality is not done, doesn't hurt anyone but yourself. Like you, I use very little social posting. I have Facebook to follow my grandkids, but post nothing. Every time I make a purchase online or use a search engine, my privacy is invaded. However, the benefit to me far outweighs the detriments and making a statement by not doing these things only hurts me. There is a statement about cutting off your nose to spite your face. So in our lives today, everything is a trade-off. It would be great of no one owned guns, but that just isn't going to happen so you deal with compromises. If I wanted to make a personal statement, I wouldn't own a gun (but I do). But it's sort of like pissing in the ocean to raise the tide. As long as I own a smartphone, buy things online and do Google/Bing searches, I don't care about a black box because I've already given up more privacy than any car would give me.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,632 Posts
Humorous that in the same sentence you state you hate "infotainment" as it is a "made up word", but you seem to have no problem using the made up word "gawd".

"Smartphone" is a made up word as is the name of every drug we take. "Laptop" is also made up word. Look at any car manufacturer's website and see all of the made up words. People use words and don't really understand what they represent. If I said I wanted a car with navigation, a radio, a way to answer my phone, and a way to play my music that would be..... wait for it..... AN INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM.

·
Registered
456 Posts
"Smartphone" is a made up word as is the name of every drug we take. "Laptop" is also made up word. Look at any car manufacturer's website and see all of the made up words. People use words and don't really understand what they represent. If I said I wanted a car with navigation, a radio, a way to answer my phone, and a way to play my music that would be..... wait for it..... AN INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM.
I'm sorry, are you chastising me for pointing out the incongruity in the OP's post? Your comments actually agree with my sarcastic response to the OP, so why direct it to me?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,632 Posts
I'm sorry, are you chastising me for pointing out the incongruity in the OP's post? Your comments actually agree with my sarcastic response to the OP, so why direct it to me?

It's not directed at you. I was supporting your statement. Sorry I didn't make that clear.... I thought it was a great point!!!!

Reactions: ddhartma

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well.... ALL words, in all languages are 'made up'. They are simply sounds we make, and mutually agree upon a meaning.

I'm not a big fan of portmanteau's like any of those, actually. But it is certainly one of the beauties of English ( compared to some other languages ) that we not only allow, but embrace, an actively evolving lexicon.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts