Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sportage SX 2.0T-GDI AWD
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(see attachments for pics of the new UI, including version numbers)

All - so two days ago I was looking for the latest nav update for my SX T-GDI 2021 Sportage purchased in March 2021
I found what I though was what I was seeking, downloaded it and the installed, created the SD card and updated my Sportage. Other than this process taking more than 1 hour, it all went smoothly.

But ... wow ... Holy Crud what a mistake. Does any one know how to revert to previous version?

Kia should really warn users that this is not only NAV update, but also a major overhaul to the UI functions and appearance. Not cool to change the UI without any warning.

And ... I do realize opinions vary ... but IMO ... man is the new UI ugly and hard to use
. Instead of what was actually a fairly clean simple whit-on-black high-contrast UI with generally large and readable fonts, they made it all smaller, with less contrast, and much harder to read under all lighting conditions, not to mention made several functions distinctly more difficult to use (notably the radio and presets - I don't listen to the radio much, but it was immediately noticeable how difficult it was to find/change stations).

... and the nav seems to work even less well than before, and the voice recognition (say for SMS response) is significantly worse.

Does anyone from Kia ever read any of this ... wish there was a workable method to complain!

<\rant-off> :LOL:

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,666 Posts
Can you go back to the previous version??? No.... I never use the radio function as I have SiriusXM. Whenever I really need voice recognition, I use Android Auto. I really don't find much difference in the UI for the functions I use in the new version. I happen to like the smaller text because I'm an information freak. The Nav is generally good as long as you put in the address manually. The voice recognition, especially in comparison to Google, sucks (a technical term). Is the new UI ugly for radio??? Yes -- I agree with you. There are some display settings you can play with to see if that helps when you go through all of the settings. Eventually, cars will have no Nav or voice recognition -- they will leave that to Android Auto and CarPlay. If it wasn't part of the tech package and I could get a high res screen with Android Auto, I'd forget the Nav function completely.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sad it's not possible to revert. They went from a moderately useable UI to a dramatically inferior UI. My opinion.

SiriusXM is included iny definition of radio. There is almost nothing on radio that I want, so it's not very consequential, But they made it harder to use for sure.

I was surprised nav was built-in. Again my opinion, but all nav is useless. I far prefer to actually know where I'm going. Dependence on route navigation is one significant contributior to poor driving behavior that I see constantly in the roads, in my opinion.

Anyway. Thanks for the info.

P.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,666 Posts
Sad it's not possible to revert. They went from a moderately useable UI to a dramatically inferior UI. My opinion.

SiriusXM is included iny definition of radio. There is almost nothing on radio that I want, so it's not very consequential, But they made it harder to use for sure.

I was surprised nav was built-in. Again my opinion, but all nav is useless. I far prefer to actually know where I'm going. Dependence on route navigation is one significant contributior to poor driving behavior that I see constantly in the roads, in my opinion.

Anyway. Thanks for the info.

P.
I do use SiriusXM a lot because I'm a news junkie and there are some music stations I like. I'm just not into the music apps on my phone. Disagree totally on nav. So I am on the road and want some Mexican food. I ask Android Auto for the nearest Mexican restaurant and it gives me a few options. I didn't know I was going to do that before getting into the car. It also gives me an approximate time I will be there so I can tell them ahead of time. Traffic is part of AA. I use the built-in nav mostly for going home. I know where that is, of course, but don't always know the best way to get to the freeway. My wife is geographically challenged and the nav has saved her many times. Unless you are a cabbie in London and know every street in the city, nav is very useful. That is, unless you don't get out much....

As to poor driving behavior, I doubt it's because of the nav. It may be texting, or eating, or putting on makeup, or combing your hair, or interplay (?) with someone in the car. In fact, I've seen a number of people who don't know where they are going who slow down, speed up, slow down, look for street signs, get out of their lane, etc. Personally, I think people who don't use a nav as far more dangerous.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
956 Posts
I'm in awe that you can know every turn on a new route that you haven't traveled before.
As to poor driving behavior, I doubt it's because of the nav. It may be texting, or eating, or putting on makeup, or combing your hair, or interplay (?) with someone in the car. In fact, I've seen a number of people who don't know where they are going who slow down, speed up, slow down, look for street signs, get out of their lane, etc. Personally, I think people who don't use a nav as far more dangerous.
I agree with you here. I love the fact that NAV is available, and having it built-in is a plus over holding the phone and using it. I just encountered on of those people that kept nailing the brakes for every intersection on a country road looking for a sign I suspect. Another bonus of the nav is the traffic alerts, I've avoided a number of long delays just by detouring around traffic issues that I'd have never known about without nav.

What's the alternative, have one of those super convenient mile long maps unfolded and blocking your view?

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,153 Posts
Its on the update site if you read about new features first. I read about it before the dealer updated mine prior to me picking it up. It doesn't bother me. Some people like it and others not so much.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX Turbo Black with beige interior
70 Posts
(see attachments for pics of the new UI, including version numbers)

All - so two days ago I was looking for the latest nav update for my SX T-GDI 2021 Sportage purchased in March 2021
I found what I though was what I was seeking, downloaded it and the installed, created the SD card and updated my Sportage. Other than this process taking more than 1 hour, it all went smoothly.

But ... wow ... Holy Crud what a mistake. Does any one know how to revert to previous version?

Kia should really warn users that this is not only NAV update, but also a major overhaul to the UI functions and appearance. Not cool to change the UI without any warning.

And ... I do realize opinions vary ... but IMO ... man is the new UI ugly and hard to use
. Instead of what was actually a fairly clean simple whit-on-black high-contrast UI with generally large and readable fonts, they made it all smaller, with less contrast, and much harder to read under all lighting conditions, not to mention made several functions distinctly more difficult to use (notably the radio and presets - I don't listen to the radio much, but it was immediately noticeable how difficult it was to find/change stations).

... and the nav seems to work even less well than before, and the voice recognition (say for SMS response) is significantly worse.

Does anyone from Kia ever read any of this ... wish there was a workable method to complain!

<\rant-off> :LOL:
I see that you have HD and am wondering if you are able to access HD weather traffic and radar when highlight the DATA SERVICES.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in awe that you can know every turn on a new route that you haven't traveled before.

Just read the map before starting the trip. Been doing it for 30 years.
This is one of my pet peeves with these nav products ... built in and android ... it is SO hard to get the overview of the map that I want, be able to get the street names etc. I strongly dislike the turn-by-turn directions from any/all nav products. I want to see the route, study it, and drive it.

traffic alerts are interesting. I think the android ones seem far superior to the built-in Kia. that would also hold as a general comment about nav products. I will occasionally use google maps to try to get a route overview, or possibly the details on the last one or two turns, but the Kia nav is so utterly painful to use that I have given up even trying. had this vehicle 4 months. drove 9k miles. used kia nav maybe 3 times to completion (on maybe 10-15 attempts).

honestly i neve had a problem with paper maps .. unfortunately, between smart phones and government budget cutbacks, seems most states rarely publish and update theirs maps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see that you have HD and am wondering if you are able to access HD weather traffic and radar when highlight the DATA SERVICES.
yes, before and after the update. I've looked at it once or twice. doesn't seem useful for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do use SiriusXM a lot because I'm a news junkie and there are some music stations I like. I'm just not into the music apps on my phone. Disagree totally on nav. So I am on the road and want some Mexican food. I ask Android Auto for the nearest Mexican restaurant and it gives me a few options. I didn't know I was going to do that before getting into the car. It also gives me an approximate time I will be there so I can tell them ahead of time. Traffic is part of AA. I use the built-in nav mostly for going home. I know where that is, of course, but don't always know the best way to get to the freeway. My wife is geographically challenged and the nav has saved her many times. Unless you are a cabbie in London and know every street in the city, nav is very useful. That is, unless you don't get out much....

I've driven 9k miles in the 4 months I've had my 2021 SX. Never been a cabbie in an city.

<rant=on, including lots of unpopular personal opinions>

Certainly texting, makeup, all distracted driving etc have always been huge problems. I think following turn-by-turn from a device is highly problematic. Because drivers don't KNOW where they are going and are blindly following, thus they cannot plan and anticipate the route.

personally I think people should know the roads and routes before trying to drive. If a driver can't visualize almost all parts of the route in their mind before starting to drive, they should not be driving. But I also don't think people should be allowed to drive unless they have a solid understand of the basic mechanical functions of an IC engine and vehicle, and be able to perform basic maintenance. I know that neither perspective is realistic anymore.

long before smart phones, or even public access to GPS, I used to travel to new cities all over the US and have to drive there. I would get the little map from the rental company, or occasionally buy a local paper map at the gas station, buy a soda, spend 15 minutes studying it, maybe take a test drive along a major route or two, and I'd be (generally) pretty good to go. That always worked for most cities in the US.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,666 Posts
I've driven 9k miles in the 4 months I've had my 2021 SX. Never been a cabbie in an city.

<rant=on, including lots of unpopular personal opinions>

Certainly texting, makeup, all distracted driving etc have always been huge problems. I think following turn-by-turn from a device is highly problematic. Because drivers don't KNOW where they are going and are blindly following, thus they cannot plan and anticipate the route.

personally I think people should know the roads and routes before trying to drive. If a driver can't visualize almost all parts of the route in their mind before starting to drive, they should not be driving. But I also don't think people should be allowed to drive unless they have a solid understand of the basic mechanical functions of an IC engine and vehicle, and be able to perform basic maintenance. I know that neither perspective is realistic anymore.

long before smart phones, or even public access to GPS, I used to travel to new cities all over the US and have to drive there. I would get the little map from the rental company, or occasionally buy a local paper map at the gas station, buy a soda, spend 15 minutes studying it, maybe take a test drive along a major route or two, and I'd be (generally) pretty good to go. That always worked for most cities in the US.
Why would you need to anticipate a route? The nav tells you ahead of time that a turn is coming up. Would you rather have to pick up a paper map while you're driving because you can't remember the 27th turn? Or perhaps you miss a turn and then don't have a clue where you're going? I'm really very good without maps, but when the nav reroutes me because there is a car accident, it's great. Once you plan a route and an accident happens, you're stuck... And, then there are new roads that the paper maps just don't have... And then, I'm running low on gas or want to eat and can do that easily. I might plan a stop, but not be actually hungry at the time....

If you want to be stuck in the 19th century, that's up to you. But technology has made us far more efficient. I know -- I've been driving for over 60 years. Right now, I consider those who use paper maps far more dangerous on the road than those who use a nav. And if they miss a turn, they have to look at street signs and find their way back. That also makes them dangerous.

Almost all taxi's and car services right now use a GPS even though that is their job. You want to call Uber and then have them look at a paper map to determine how to go? Really? Think about it.

So, I doubt if you would buy an electric car because you can't understand how the car's control unit is programmed. Computers are the most important part of todays internal combustion cars. Do YOU understand the ECM programming, sensors, maximizing equations, etc.? If not, perhaps you shouldn't drive a new car????

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
956 Posts
Certainly texting, makeup, all distracted driving etc have always been huge problems.
I doubt you'll find much argument about that here.
I think following turn-by-turn from a device is highly problematic. Because drivers don't KNOW where they are going and are blindly following, thus they cannot plan and anticipate the route.
That's pure hogwash IMO. The nav gives me plenty of time to anticipate turns. Even if I know the route, on heavily traveled roads I like the nav simply because of the traffic alerts. That has saved me countless hours of sitting in a traffic jam that I could easily avoid by taking the alternate route suggested by the nav application.
At least you recognize that this really isn't realistic, that's a start!

That like me saying I think you shouldn't be allowed to take an airline flight unless you can fly a plane! Yes, I am a pilot, but it'll be pretty lonely on that flight if we enforce that restriction, but I'll have a good seat. Please come down to earth with your expectations!
I know it will come as a shock to you, but before these driving aids were available many of us managed to drive and get to our destination. Some of us traveled extensively for business to strange cities, I even traveled to different countries and had to drive around in a strange city with different driving customs frequently. Yep, somehow I managed to make it to my destination in the end, but there were times it was a somewhat circuitous route. Your idea of studying the map and taking a "test drive" on a route or two strikes me as as unrealistic as some of your other ideas. If I'm on a business trip, or even on vacation, I don't always have time to study a map and take a few "test drives", I may simply want to get to my destination!

Also, just because you looked at a map that could have been published months or more likely years before, that doesn't make you immune to all the construction, accidents, or other reasons for detours along the route. Once that happens, you're lost in the weeds! I suppose now you're going to tell me you just memorized the whole map so that couldn't happen. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
110 Posts
As has been articulated, it's not possible to revert to old versions of the Nav. The update includes firmware upgrades which are not compatible with the old version.

Sorry to hear the upgrade isn't what you were expecting. I find the newest UI pretty efficient. It will probably just take you some time to acclimate to it. And don't forget you can map a custom key using the physical buttons below the nav screen.

In the 34 years and approximately 4 million miles I have been driving, I've never been more efficient at it because of today's technology. I used to drive with a stack of Atlases and state maps. Knowing my entire route was a fun way to plan - but if anything unexpected happened or I had to re-route, I had to go back and study my maps. Which took even more time.

Today I revel in the bliss of technology. I can make last-minute changes to my route and it's no factor. My maps are accurate! Technology gives me warnings of road construction the day it starts, traffic that's backed up almost the minute it happens, and suggests POI's I might not have ever known about.

I wish you luck with your new nav and UI updates and leave you with this thought - If everyone around you has embraced the technology except for you, do you think maybe it's possible you're just stubborn and opposed to change? :)

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,666 Posts
I think it is interesting that many people out there just don't like change. They find excuses like the nav takes your attention away from driving. But what they do is inefficient and takes even more attention away from driving because if there's a problem, they have to think about it and look at signs or a map. This thinking affects all sorts of things like premium fuel gives you more horsepower or you need to change your oil every 3,000 miles -- both of which used to be generally true, but technology and manufacturing have made these thoughts arcane. I'm well into my 70's, and many people my age just can't adapt to new technology. They can't get used to smartphones and computers where there are several ways to get to what you want. They want a 1-2-3 solution. When there is a new OS version, and the paradigm changes, they are lost. It's a way of thinking. That will change with my kids and has already changed with my grandchildren. New technology is exciting!!! It's fun!! And most of it increases our productivity if we let it do so. There was a time when I'd agree that people should understand the basic functions of how a car works. But today, it's just another appliance like your toaster or microwave. Do you really have to understand how a microwave works to use it? There are nerds like me who like to understand the underlying technology, but in real life, it's just not that useful. If something goes wrong with the car, you usually need to hook it up to a computer to get the error codes. If you've ever looked at the service manual, the diagnostic procedures are far more complicated than in the past. In the end, you'll take it to a mechanic or the dealer who has the equipment to properly diagnose and fix the issues. And this comes from a guy who, in his younger days, rebuilt engines and transmissions and modified track cars himself. It just doesn't make sense to do that anymore.

There are places where understanding a little bit can save you money. When you buy a new car, getting nitrogen in the tires and paying for it is a joke. Air is already 78% nitrogen. Doing all of the extra services at a dealer oil change is also wasteful. It's easy to change the air and cabin filters yourself and most of the time, your tires don't need to be rotated. Having an oil change place tell you to follow the "severe" oil change schedule is also a joke. Full synthetics can easily last 10-15K miles even in severe conditions.

·
Registered
'21 Kia Sorento SX, '03 VW GTI
21 Posts
That’s what it looks like on the 2021 Sorento. I don’t know any other view, but some pages are a bit ugly. I don’t use the Kia Nav; simply rely on the Apple CarPlay integration since it’s easier.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Cadenza premium FWD
10 Posts
Can you go back to the previous version??? No.... I never use the radio function as I have SiriusXM. Whenever I really need voice recognition, I use Android Auto. I really don't find much difference in the UI for the functions I use in the new version. I happen to like the smaller text because I'm an information freak. The Nav is generally good as long as you put in the address manually. The voice recognition, especially in comparison to Google, sucks (a technical term). Is the new UI ugly for radio??? Yes -- I agree with you. There are some display settings you can play with to see if that helps when you go through all of the settings. Eventually, cars will have no Nav or voice recognition -- they will leave that to Android Auto and CarPlay. If it wasn't part of the tech package and I could get a high res screen with Android Auto, I'd forget the Nav function completely.
Considering that the year before during covid I paid 149.00 for an update to my 2014 Cadenza & have gotten updates before not a big "D" but after 5-6 months it died. Must have been a virus had no use of gps at all. i fought with the mapnsoft people (think that is the name without checking my emails) they kept asking for pictures and the only picture i had was that i had to send them was the sd error picture. This time when it was offered for almost nothing i think 29 or 39 for the cd. Not sure have to check my charges record. I just added it up to a bad year for me. But i got the cd & got my GPS back & have no issues.. so I am a happy camper having had 6 months of use at 149 to a fraction of the cost & it is working like the old nav update i had. My mother all ways said beggers cannot be choosers.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Sportage SX
1 Posts
Hello,

Wish I could provide a method to rollback your update, but from what I've read it isn't doable.

For what it's worth, I've been keeping an eye on this myself. After purchasing a '18 Sportage this past December I took advantage of the online availability of the updates; which on the whole I thought was pretty cool, considering that back in the day people used to have to order updated discs or flash drives through the dealer at a couple hundred dollars just to have an up to date map... anyway I used the Navigation Updater application for Windows and installed the August '20 update shortly after I got the car; I believe prior to that the software was the original version as shipped from the factory. I did notice at that time that I had lost battery and signal icons for my Bluetooth connected phone. For some reason the November '20 update wasn't there yet, or at least I didn't notice it; though I did also end up doing that one as well once I saw that was out, and didn't see any major difference to that update that I recall.

However when I saw the latest update notification a couple months ago (for the April '21 update), I went to review the notification details and was quite turned off by the first few passages showing the new icons and color scheme; it seemed to me that what I currently had was an adequate match to the rest of the dashboard in terms of color scheme, iconography and fonts, while the updated version was certainly not.

So I have not updated to the new version.

There doesn't seem to be much discussion of this issue here; however on another forum geared specifically toward the Telluride, there is a 17 page thread on the topic:

14.10 update (November 2020) now available

This was evidently when their navigation units were changed to the new theme, and when some usability problems came up for them. I have read the whole thread and people have called it the "Purple Rain" update, the "Barney Purple" update, among other choice words LOL. A lot of complaints there; since their screens are wider a lot of them revolve around the home screen layout, but it would seem that there are other issues with presets being erased, HD Radio weather data no longer being available, etc. as well as the new Nixie-tube radio display looking like a bad, late '90s WinAmp skin, as someone put it. I guess it also used to be possible to re-order your SiriusXM presets once upon a time, which would have been nice...

Might be worth keeping an eye on that thread / forum as well, since there is certainly some code sharing between the various Nav units.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
460 Posts
I have not updated, and will not update, for a couple reasons (and they have nothing to do with fear of change). I don't use any of the NAV functions (using AA), and have had no issues with the system functions I do use. I see no need to update what currently serves my needs, just to have the latest (and from what I see here, not necessarily the greatest).

If the changes made fixed bugs/issues that affected my usage, I would update in a flash (pun intended).

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,153 Posts
I just posted negative feedback on the Kia map update site to see this will be resolved. According to them its not their doing but a change implement by Kia. (whom ever is writing the interface software anyway)

Unknowns, yet when there is a problem Kia says they've nothing to do with it and sends us to Mnsoft who claim they only supply the data!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
1,127 Posts
I was just on vacation and got frustrated with the navigation and pressed Restore To Default thinking it would just reset toll road, etc. settings.
It wiped out all my saved addresses and now the vehicle speed doesn't show anymore. I may do the new update soon but may have to order a new SD card from Amazon.
1,500 mile trip and the SX ran great.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts