Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to shop for winter tires and I was wondering if there is a larger tire that can be mounted to the stock 15" wheel. Width is the issue, what will fit on the stock wheel. The stock tires are 185/65-15, and I was thinking about a 195/65-15 or 205/60-15.

Anyone have any info? I'm buying snow tires next month and the 185, 195, and 205 sizes are all about the same price. I know that changing diameter will mess up the speedo and odometer.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX+
23 Posts
you can safely put a 1/2" bigger tire than the rim in width. If you have a 5" wide rim, the MAX width of your tire should be 5.5"...from what I've been told.

1/2" is about 13mm i believe? So the max I would put on is a 195 tire on the stock rim.

Tire size calculator

Check out that link, you can play around with different rim and tire sizes, and it will also show you how much your speedo will change with your selected sizes.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
you can safely put a 1/2" bigger tire than the rim in width. If you have a 5" wide rim, the MAX width of your tire should be 5.5"...from what I've been told.

1/2" is about 13mm i believe? So the max I would put on is a 195 tire on the stock rim.

SWEET, more misinformation being spread on this board. rule of thumb? awesome. you need to check the manufacturer's specs for exact info. all tires are different. a few of my race buddies run 275 hoosiers on their 15x6 wheels with no ill effects...

to the OP, my current 185's are just about cooked on my lx. i plan on installing 205/60-15 falken ze912's*. they are spec'd for 5.5 to 7.5 wheels. our 5.5's are on the minimal end of the spectrum, but easily within the functional size.

within 2 days of getting my rio, i had over 10 sets of wheels on it. i am constantly measuring/fiddling with wheel sizes/specs on my cars. i have over 60 wheels/tires in my basement...

*i am a big fan of ze912's for daily driving. the tire wears very well, has excellent wet and dry performance, and is relatively easy on the wallet. i have had 4 sets of them on 3 cars with no issues.

Anyone have any info? I'm buying snow tires next month and the 185, 195, and 205 sizes are all about the same price. I know that changing diameter will mess up the speedo and odometer.
for winter, you want to go thinner/taller. last winter i bought 14x6 steelies with 185/70-14 snowies. they worked fairly well last winter in a variety of sh!tty conditions. save your 15's for the nicer months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts