Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears we are all pretty happy with our Rios:). No real Quality or reliability issues yet. Complaints about fuel economy not meeting Government #s(These numbers are BS & are only for comparison with other cars) , Low front Passenger's seat & excess Tyre noise seem to be our most talked about problems & these are design not quality issues. We all seem like very happy Campers! Please ad anything I may have missed

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX 6M 5-door
80 Posts
my major complaint is the dashboard. It makes a lot of noise on a rough road. Something definitely is not put together right in there and ive read common concerns about this.

Also, the complaints of fuel economy... My nearly 10 year old Toyota Echo i used to have would get better fuel economy than my Rio. yes, it had less power, weighed less, etc. But most people just expect 10 years of car develop should mean the Rio will get better fuel economy. You must realize the Rio is heavier, has a lot of heavy features, has a lot of power for this class. So fuel economy is good when factoring all that in. Any other car for sale will also not meet set standards if you dont drive it in the correct fashion.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
407 Posts
my major complaint is the dashboard. It makes a lot of noise on a rough road. Something definitely is not put together right in there and ive read common concerns about this.

Also, the complaints of fuel economy... My nearly 10 year old Toyota Echo i used to have would get better fuel economy than my Rio. yes, it had less power, weighed less, etc. But most people just expect 10 years of car develop should mean the Rio will get better fuel economy. You must realize the Rio is heavier, has a lot of heavy features, has a lot of power for this class. So fuel economy is good when factoring all that in. Any other car for sale will also not meet set standards if you dont drive it in the correct fashion.
There is a TSB about the rattling dash problem. Your dealer should know that your car needs it based on the VIN...

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
I have no complaints whatsoever. You really cant complain about gas mileage when everyone drives differently. I usually get abuot 7.5-8.5L/100km but im young and love my car to be responsive and perky.

Handling is just awesome on our little rios and the HP is great for the little weight that we have. The biggest mod Im looking forward to are wheels and tires but will wait a bit until the stock ones wear out.

Ive had no problem with the dash and I have a auto but Ive driven it in shift/tip tronic since day 1 it fits much better in rush hour traffic and cruises!

Hope you guys fix your problems and start enjoying our rios even more!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dash Problem fixed for the 2013 Model Year Rios?

Because a TSB was issued for the dash rattling, creaking noises, does this
mean that the 2013 Kia Rios will have had this problem corrected?

I am thinking of purchasing a 2013 Kia Rio, but I would be very annoyed if
this problem still existed with the 2013s.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SX(Silver), 2010 Subaru Forester, 2004 Subaru Forester (Traded for RIO SX)
27 Posts
I have not heard any rattles on MY 2012 Sedan. I would think there are no pads in the sedan or hatchback (U.S versions). I do drive with the radio up and mostly travel on smooth highways. The TSB states the noises are more evident during cold weather, I'm assuming when the plastic contracts a bit.

If you open the .PDF file and look at that picture...do you honestly believe that the dash, radio, steering wheel, a/c vents, etc. are all going to go back in place perfectly? No broken clips, scratches, bends, or other squeak surfacing as a result of the tear down? Is it worth it?

My 2010 Forester squeaks in the winter, but not enough to drive me insane.

Is this noise in the 2012 RIO bad enough to drive people insane?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before i ordered my 2013 in january I drove a couple of 2012's & both had a rattle in the dashboard that I found most annoying.I have had my 2013 for 7 weeks & 4400 kilometers and so far so good. No rattles:).

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Hi, my Sedan EX was built on March 2012, and as of now my dash has no rattle. Does that mean that the TSB only apply to some Rios built before a certain date. Mine having been built in March 2012, I tend to think the rattle may have been a problem affecting the first 2012 Rios built like in 2011. How can I know if the TSB apply to my Rio if ever...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
136 Posts
Hi, my Sedan EX was built on March 2012, and as of now my dash has no rattle. Does that mean that the TSB only apply to some Rios built before a certain date. Mine having been built in March 2012, I tend to think the rattle may have been a problem affecting the first 2012 Rios built like in 2011. How can I know if the TSB apply to my Rio if ever...
Take it to your dealer they will check it based on your VIN

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Racinier - Only for cars built up to November 18th production if you read the TSB

·
Registered
313 Posts
Racinier - Only for cars built up to November 18th production if you read the TSB
Hi, you're so right. I read carefully the bulletin but I must have skipped this part. Too much wine...The photos of the inside of my Rio must have taken all of my attention though.
Cheers

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
I have not heard any rattles on MY 2012 Sedan. I would think there are no pads in the sedan or hatchback (U.S versions)

Is this noise in the 2012 RIO bad enough to drive people insane?
it really does drive me insane. next service they will fix it whether they like it or not!
I have started ignoring it but at the same time, a new car should not rattle over bumps like the dashboard will fall off...

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
MIne was built 9/2011. And after the washboard backroads I was on in NM, I *still* have no rattles, squeaks, bumps, *anythig* making noises. I have no complaints about the ride, the build quality, road noise...just...that little 1.6L should push this car better than it does. 138 horses should act better than they do.

·
Registered
313 Posts
MIne was built 9/2011. And after the washboard backroads I was on in NM, I *still* have no rattles, squeaks, bumps, *anythig* making noises. I have no complaints about the ride, the build quality, road noise...just...that little 1.6L should push this car better than it does. 138 horses should act better than they do.
RioBravo I agree with you. To me, the engine acts more like a 115-120hp. I don't care that much about that though. Fortunately my EX Sedan have no rattles, no squeaks and no little annoying noises. Only the road noise is getting on my nerves at times and the poor sound quality of the UVO and the very low volume of it. Aside those minor quirks, I'm happy with the Rio. Just hope it will last long cause I tend to keep my cars 10 years and up (Neon: 12 years). RioBravo how do you like the ride?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts