Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to test my Sorento out on some slippery stuff tonight. Rained all day and we had a cold snap. The road you see is like an ice rink. I'm still running the factory Kuhmo Tires, 80% on the front, 35% on the rear.

I must say, the safety features Kia put into this thing impressed me quite a bit. I can leave Stability and Traction control on, and have full control over the vehicle at all times, even when on ice.

Turn it off, and you can do whatever you want. Dounuts too ;)

What impressed me the most was the Stability control. I just hit a major piece of ice while making a left turn onto a small side street and felt the back end kick out. Though I was mashing the curb forsure but the ABS took over the front right wheel first, then the rear. Completely corrected itself and straightened me out. Very impressed!!!

And no, I wasn't speeding. I wasnt even doing 5 mph. Thats how nasty the ice is.

Actually, I was making a left at the stop sign you can see infront of my sorento.

With winter tires, I can imagine the Sorento being quite the winter capable vehicle. I wasn't so sure about it cause I came from a real 4X4 SUV but now I'm convinced. Just wanted to share!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok...I have to ask...what is a "real 4x4 SUV" ? ;)

I had a sorento years ago...was terrific in the snow. I recently bought a new one and had a chance to use it in some ice (not intentionally) and I agree, the stability control is great. I honestly can't remember if my 2003 had it or not. I'm loving my new sorento!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts

I had a sorento years ago...was terrific in the snow. I recently bought a new one and had a chance to use it in some ice (not intentionally) and I agree, the stability control is great. I honestly can't remember if my 2003 had it or not. I'm loving my new sorento!
I would think he means something designed for off-road conditions, as the sorento is a CUV built on a uni-body chassis with a lower clearance then most suv's. The sorento is off road capable but is made for paved roads as you can tell from the LRR road tires.
Ive yet to test the esc but i was worried about the stories people say of losing grip around turns when the engine idles itself to regain traction, but losing power at the wrong time can be a big negative.
So rento did you lose power when the esc kicked in and do you think it could be a problem in some cases if so? And did turning off the esc give you greater control then?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I came from a '02 Nissan Pathfinder LE. Fantastic in the snow with a LO range 4X4 system.

I would think he means something designed for off-road conditions, as the sorento is a CUV built on a uni-body chassis with a lower clearance then most suv's. The sorento is off road capable but is made for paved roads as you can tell from the LRR road tires.
Ive yet to test the esc but i was worried about the stories people say of losing grip around turns when the engine idles itself to regain traction, but losing power at the wrong time can be a big negative.
So rento did you lose power when the esc kicked in and do you think it could be a problem in some cases if so? And did turning off the esc give you greater control then?
The whole point of ESC is to cut power to stop your wheels from spinning. On an icy hill I floored it and it will let you spin the tires a bit but will do an on-off-on-off sequence with the power. Turning esc off let me have fun, but taking turns would allow the ass end to swing out wildly and if not careful, you'd be into a curb or post.

I felt safer with it on for the most part.

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Rain

Yesterday we went up a steep 2 lane highway with 2~4" of muddy, rocky rain water coming straight down the lanes. The tires individually kicked up over the occasion rocks that were tumbling down the road in the rain water. The engine didn't get wet and we maintain traction. I think the who group was going 15 mph. I was glad for the extra weight in the Sorento.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts