Kia Forum banner

401 - 420 of 445 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
740 Posts
Received a letter in regards to our 2019 Kia Sportage SX Turbo AWD yesterday. (12 Nov 2019)

States they want to install new safety software which is used by the knock sensor to detect
excessive rod bearing wear on the 2.4 & 2.0L DI Turbo motor.

I fully intend to comply, but doesn't Kia have this issue under control by now?
Letter includes lifetime warranty on Long Block; only in the event of this issue occurring.

Any one else with a 2019 or newer receive this letter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
186 Posts
It may depend on your build date or the build date for your engine. The engine and ECU may have been assembled prior to the fix, and were installed before wide release.

There were multiple updates to the software if I recall properly. You may not have the latest version.

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
76 Posts
Just got a letter from KIA to return our 1 month old 2020 KIA Sportage with 2.4 engine for a Engine Control Unit Software Update. Product Improvement Campaign PI1806. Anyone else get the notice or have it done ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Received a letter in regards to our 2019 Kia Sportage SX Turbo AWD yesterday. (12 Nov 2019)

States they want to install new safety software which is used by the knock sensor to detect
excessive rod bearing wear on the 2.4 & 2.0L DI Turbo motor.

I fully intend to comply, but doesn't Kia have this issue under control by now?
Letter includes lifetime warranty on Long Block; only in the event of this issue occurring.

Any one else with a 2019 or newer receive this letter?

Thanks!
Just received mine today for our 1 month old 2020 KIA Sportage. I'm going to call the dealer with the VIN to see if ours is included as the letter does state it "may" need the update. I guess if it's not done it voids the warranty. Our letter included nothing about a lifetime warranty on the long block ? I am skeptical as a friend had it done on their 2018 or 2019 Hyundai and a couple weeks later while out of state on vacation their car went into limp mode. It was towed to the closest dealer. Even though they had factory warranty & bought "KIA's" extended warranty the dealer refused to give them a loaner car. And after sitting at the dealer over 3 hours they were informed the parts to fix it were on nation wide back order with no idea when they would be available. I have a 2013 KIA Sportage that we've had no issues with. With winter here, at least we can put a few thousand miles on it after the update before we'll take it any distance. Damned if you do & damned if you don't.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,371 Posts
... I guess if it's not done it voids the warranty. ….
That's never been the case with any prior Kia/Hyundai knock sensor update program. Does the paperwork you received from Kia say that anywhere, or did a Kia employee tell you specifically that's the case? If not, then your factory warranty is unaffected if you choose to not have this upgrade done now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
kiaguy002
My friend asked the service Dept. at the Hyundai dealer when he got his letter about getting it done and they told him if it wasn't done it would void the warranty on the engine because supposedly the upgrade can detect a bearing issue & put the car in limp mode. If the update isn't done and the bearing fails it is the owners fault if it isn't done. In my letter it states if the upgrade is done and if there is a bearing issue the car will go in limp mode. The Tech can tell after it goes to limp mode how far the car was driven. If the warning light comes on and it goes to limp mode they want you to drive it just enough to get it off the road basically then tow it to the closest dealer for engine analysis ? Going to call Wednesday and talk to our dealer. I have a 2013 with the same 2.4 engine and have never had any issues. Will update after consulting my dealer.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,371 Posts
…. My friend asked the service Dept. at the Hyundai dealer when he got his letter about getting it done and they told him if it wasn't done it would void the warranty on the engine ….
I would not believe this unless it appears in a document printed by Kia corporate. It's the corporation that provides the warranty, not the stealerships. If you want information you can count on, contact Kia corporate and open a case to get your question answered in writing.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage EX
3 Posts
I also received the letter on My 2019 Sportage. The letter looks like the one I've seen in another thread on the 2016-18 "Product Improvement Campaign". Surprised that this is still an issue especially on a 2020. Anybody advising not to do this? I don't expect I'll keep this vehicle past the life of the powertrain warranty anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
740 Posts
naranja,
That's the letter that I received. Looks like a generic write up. Most likely not a good idea to refuse the upgrade to the software. Long term that may come back to bite you as they will have a record of the refusal. Hopefully their updated software does not come with a bunch of gremlins and false positives that throw you into limp mode. I guess time will tell, but I still can't believe that Kia does not have this 'grenading engine issue' behind them, as of yet. Bad PR if you ask me.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yep, there is another thread identical to yours started last week by Lou O.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,840 Posts
I see that. I did a Community search before posting mine and it found nothing. Sorry for the double post.
No worries - the forum search function is atrocious.

I usually use the forum address with Google.

·
Registered
740 Posts
ron1004 has merged the two threads, which is fine by me.
I'm going to the dealership this Thursday the 21st. I'll post again if new information is available.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I called our dealer this morning and gave them the VIN to make sure our vehicle was indeed included in the program. It is. I then asked him if I didn't get it done would it void the warranty. He explained the update is supposed to detect vibration consistent with early bearing failure so if set off and put in limp mode the car could be evaluated at a dealer before the engine has catastrophic engine failure. By choosing not to have the upgrade done, and experiencing bearing failure destroying the engine, he wouldn't know if it affected the warranty until the work order was submitted to KIA. They would either OK or deny a repair. "Excellent way to avoid the question". He continued to say if the update is done you get a lifetime engine warranty ? Even I guess if you sell the car it follows it. I explained what happened to my friends Hyundai when they had the update done. He seemed stumped, but said there were a few ECM's that seemed to fail on early affected models but they have worked out the bugs ? He personally never had a vehicle come in with issues after a update at that dealership. So, I guess we will have it done. Will update results afterwards. Since the update includes I guess all KIA models with the 2.4 & 2.0 engines they are backed up.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,840 Posts
I called our dealer this morning and gave them the VIN to make sure our vehicle was indeed included in the program. It is. I then asked him if I didn't get it done would it void the warranty. He explained the update is supposed to detect vibration consistent with early bearing failure so if set off and put in limp mode the car could be evaluated at a dealer before the engine has catastrophic engine failure. By choosing not to have the upgrade done, and experiencing bearing failure destroying the engine, he wouldn't know if it affected the warranty until the work order was submitted to KIA. They would either OK or deny a repair. "Excellent way to avoid the question". He continued to say if the update is done you get a lifetime engine warranty ? Even I guess if you sell the car it follows it. I explained what happened to my friends Hyundai when they had the update done. He seemed stumped, but said there were a few ECM's that seemed to fail on early affected models but they have worked out the bugs ? He personally never had a vehicle come in with issues after a update at that dealership. So, I guess we will have it done. Will update results afterwards. Since the update includes I guess all KIA models with the 2.4 & 2.0 engines they are backed up.
Could it be the fires reported also plays a role in the avoidance of the catastrophic damage?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yes, that's the primary reason. If the software can detect early bearing failure and go into 'Limp Mode', KIA just avoided another law suit over engine fires. The fires result from catastrophic lower end failure with parts breaking through the oil pan, releasing the oil to hit the hot exhaust parts behind the engine, starting a pretty bad fire.
I was leery of the update but just let them do it anyway. Now I'm glad I did because if it decides to let go, the software will prevent me being involved in a bad fire. Sure, the inconvenience is epic but you walk away.

·
Super Moderator
10,840 Posts
There may be, but I haven't heard of any other manufacturer offering a lifetime warranty on an engine as part of their plan to restore faith in their product.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, that's the primary reason. If the software can detect early bearing failure and go into 'Limp Mode', KIA just avoided another law suit over engine fires. The fires result from catastrophic lower end failure with parts breaking through the oil pan, releasing the oil to hit the hot exhaust parts behind the engine, starting a pretty bad fire.
I was leery of the update but just let them do it anyway. Now I'm glad I did because if it decides to let go, the software will prevent me being involved in a bad fire. Sure, the inconvenience is epic but you walk away.
My 2013 KIA Sportage has the same motor as our 2020. I've had the plastic piece off under the motor. It seems to me it would be pretty easy to drop the oil pan. If there is a bearing issue I wonder why KIA just doesn't drop the pan and solve the issue permanently with new improved bearings ? They must not feel as though it's a big enough issue. Don't want to bad mouth KIA as I've had no issues with the 2013. That's why we bought the 2020.

401 - 420 of 445 Posts