Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A prior thread titled "AWD not working" got me thinking about the AWD system. I have a '19 with V6 and AWD. As far as I know my system is working. But from the other thread, Jace57, the tread starter, said "I'm thinking its the rear coupler that seems to go out on alot of these models with V6.". I have to say that I'm not familiar with this being a problem. I'm certainly not saying that Jace57 is wrong, just that I have not run across this information before. Is this really happening for more than a few folks? It's supposed to be working all the time, so how would one know that it's not working unless you are in snow or some other situation where the AWD is really needed? Of course the graphic in the car shows that it's working but apparently it may not be. Jace57 heard a loud noise when his stopped working. Does the loud noise usually occur when the rear coupler craps out? Aside from a noise or a slippery road situation, how do you know it's stopped working. I don't live in the extreme north nor do I travel dirt roads on a daily basis, so I don't "need" my AWD everyday, but I've paid for it so I want it to work. It probably is working but I'd like to know more about this problem that I never heard of when researching the vehicle.

Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,830 Posts
The coupler in prior generations was a problem for some owners. It was a particular problem in the CM series of the Santa Fe. Many internal bearing failures with a few other issues thrown in for good measure. Not hearing much about issues with this newer system (new design from another manufacturer).

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
283 Posts
A prior thread titled "AWD not working" got me thinking about the AWD system. I have a '19 with V6 and AWD. As far as I know my system is working. But from the other thread, Jace57, the tread starter, said "I'm thinking its the rear coupler that seems to go out on alot of these models with V6.". I have to say that I'm not familiar with this being a problem. I'm certainly not saying that Jace57 is wrong, just that I have not run across this information before. Is this really happening for more than a few folks? It's supposed to be working all the time, so how would one know that it's not working unless you are in snow or some other situation where the AWD is really needed? Of course the graphic in the car shows that it's working but apparently it may not be. Jace57 heard a loud noise when his stopped working. Does the loud noise usually occur when the rear coupler craps out? Aside from a noise or a slippery road situation, how do you know it's stopped working. I don't live in the extreme north nor do I travel dirt roads on a daily basis, so I don't "need" my AWD everyday, but I've paid for it so I want it to work. It probably is working but I'd like to know more about this problem that I never heard of when researching the vehicle.

Thanks
Hi Wheels,

Did you consider going over grass perhaps and flooring it while someone is outside to see if all 4s spin? This is probably an amateur idea but honestly that's what I would do. Not my grass though, probably the neighbors lol jk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your explanation ecanderson.

Hey Tim, I don't actually have a problem that I'm aware of. I just wasn't aware that people had been having problems. And it looked like the graphic would show the AWD working even if it wasn't. So I thought it would be hard to tell. But for now I'll assume mine is working properly. ecanderson said it was mostly prior generations that had problems.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,374 Posts
wbw makes a good point.....other than parking on a ice skating rink and flooring it, how do you know the awd system is fully functional?

Reactions: MIA KIA 09

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to pass on that 😁

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,'11 Dodge Journey AWD,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,515 Posts
I'm going to pass on that 😁
Yeah I hear you. I will be curious for when we finally can get our private purchase 2011 Dodge Journey AWD plated and on the road to see how it's AWD functions, as we've never had an AWD vehicle. I do know that if if breaks down, that it has to be flatbed towed and NOT put on the "hook"!

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX
85 Posts
Not an owner yet (still awaiting delivery), but with previous vehicles, I would usually test one wheel at a time on loose gravel

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
875 Posts
Is the coupler in these later years Magnetic or still hydraulic activation used. Most other oem are using magnetic as the earlier Sante Fe's did.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
875 Posts
Hmm, I'd hope they would have fixed it by now. Especially looking above the 3.3L get the same unit as the 4 cylinder vehicles. There is quite a difference in power generated across various models in the list.
To me this is an error in fitment. A HD version should be used in the V6 builds. We (current owners) know they don't last long!!

This is a key reservation in buying another newer Sorento or Sante Fe LX with a 3,3L V6

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,830 Posts
It's a totally different unit than the Borg-Warner that started with the CM series Santa Fe.
Those went through couplers a mile a minute, though I also heard about some successes with rebuilds using new bearings. Haven't seen a peep out of current version owners.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
875 Posts
Well the all bear the same part number. I am on the 2nd one. See how long it last from the original one. A 2.0L or 2.4L as per the parts chart should not use the same coupler. Much different weight of vehicle and power from the other engines to the same coupler. Matching is wrong.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
619 Posts
Is there really that much weight difference if it's only a different engine?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,830 Posts
Well the all bear the same part number.
Was that a reply to me? I can assure you, the old Borg-Warner ITM 3e assembly ('magnetic multi-plate') has been history for a while now. That's the system that Hyundai debuted in the '08 (CM) Santa Fe and whose coupler caused a fair bit of trouble for owners. They later switched out everything for the Dynamax system, which the Sorento got as part of the UM series remodel. Part numbers (and happily, design) quite different.

Just curious - you show that you have a MY 2015 Sorento. To the best of my recollection, Kia Canada follows the N.A. model year plan, and as a 2015 yours is an XM series, not the UM series that started in MY 2016?

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
204 Posts
I think I read somewhere they claim these can handle up to 1000Nm of torque. What's the 3.3, 340Nm? In the diesel markets still the same units and probably up to 440Nm with the 2.2 4cyl diesel. No idea what that translates too in the drivetrain though.

I believe all AWD in the Sportage / ix35/ Tucson / Sorento / Santa Fe family use the same type couplers regardless of engine type and designed by Magna Powertrain ( WIA-Magna Powertrain ). I'm talking of this type excluding the early magnetic type.

Current type first came in 2010 on the ix35/ sportage then the DM Santa Fe then the Sorento updated model around Dec 2012

Thoughts I have on these are:
  • constantly driven on the input shaft side, has a single open ball race bearing , I have one with bearing failure with the hard casing fragments that destroyed the rest of it.
  • less than 500ml of specific fluid internal, it can be purchased. I know it as DTF-1 or TF0870
  • fluid never changed , no drain but there is a fill port.
  • wet clutch packs, no filtration system apart from a coarse screen for the actuator pump
  • unless 100% torque applied from the prop shaft anything less results in clutch slippage , heat and debris
  • plenty of Russian videos for weld failure on the hub on the output end. Quality control or extreme cold?
  • software controlled, a possibility it may engage incorrectly or too much torque . I'm thinking of hard surfaces, around corners and differing axle speeds.
  • I don't have snow but those who do I would expect the AWD would be cycled on and off more frequently, shorter life?
I'd be interested to know if any improvements have been made. The harness and pump I believe have changed, and software/modes also I expect.

I do believe if the fluid had a regular change surely that would greatly extend life expectancy.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
875 Posts
@Gerard 2
Very interesting outline of the unit. I guess it begs the question. Did the Sorento 2015 or 2016 onward come fitted with that one. Maybe they're the replacements type

"
  • unless 100% torque applied from the prop shaft anything less results in clutch slippage , heat and debris"
Well I tend to accelerate lightly in turns pulling away to avoid stress and grinding. More after I have straightened out the steering. I wonder if that is happening in that case.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
204 Posts
@Tripplec
early units were 478003B510 then 478003B520. You can see that information gunrunnerjohn put up and the link. The TSB that's been posted a few times now goes through the part number changes and the later number can be fitted retrospectively just the new harness needs to be added as well to connect back the main harness.

By the time Sorento (2012-13) got this type it was already 478003B520, nothing changed there and as you can see showing current for 2020 models.

So that would leave potentially only software / ecu changes for any improvement since 2013?

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
875 Posts
New harness at the coupler end? I'll have to go under and see. If I didn't get the new part I'll be ticked when it was replaced 2 years ago.

Ok, I found the work order and 478003B520 is the part installed which had to be ordered for my vehicle. No listing of a harness unless it comes with it.

Well I am happy about that if its indeed much better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts