Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1.6 CRDi SW
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 Cee'd SW 1.6 diesel.

When the car is stationary and I turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left and right there is a knocking sound and knock vibration in the steering wheel.

I dont notice it when driving.

Anybody experience this before? I just want to check here before I bring it to the dealer and see if it is a warranty item.

thanks

·
Registered
pro_ceed 1.6 CRDi 66kw (2008)
725 Posts
I experienced the same in the past. (around 75000 Km on the clock back then)
Got it sorted out under warranty. Took them 15 days to get the part and around two hours to replace it.

May I ask what mileage are you on at the moment ? I want to compare and see when does it start occurring, as I have a friend who had the same issue at similar mileage.

·
Registered
1.6 CRDi SW
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I experienced the same in the past. (around 75000 Km on the clock back then)
Got it sorted out under warranty. Took them 15 days to get the part and around two hours to replace it.
May I ask what mileage are you on at the moment ? I want to compare and see when does it start occurring, as I have a friend who had the same issue at similar mileage.
Thanks for replying, I have 73000 Km on the clock at the moment.

What part was replaced?

·
Registered
725 Posts
That seems to be the magic number..

I'm not sure if it's the correct word in English, but I think it's called steering rack.

·
Registered
0858 Kia Pro_Cee'd 3 1.6 CRDi, Red
191 Posts
My 2008 Pro Ceed 3 1.6 CRDi has started doing a similar thing, when turning the wheel when stationery I sometimes get a single knock, not all the time though. Mileage is just coming up to 50,000

·
Registered
725 Posts
I hope the replacement ones are better than the originals - as I'll be out of warranty if it happens again around 150 000...

·
Registered
1.6 CRDi SW
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That seems to be the magic number..

I'm not sure if it's the correct word in English, but I think it's called steering rack.
Thanks, I might be selling the car next week and the buyer noticed the knock - I just got used to it and didnt realise it was there. If its sold, the buyer will bring it to the dealer, otherwise I'll sort it out with Kia.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ive had a similar thing, occured at about 39,000 miles.
The steering column was replaced (not the rack), specifically its the electric steering motor that was knocking on mine.

·
Registered
1.6 CRDi SW
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just came back from the Kia dealer - it was fixed in a few minutes. The mechanic said he tightened the steering wheel torque. It feels as good as new so fingers crossed it isnt a symptom of something more serious.

·
Registered
Ceed SW 1.6 LX Fresh
149 Posts
Ive had a similar thing, occured at about 39,000 miles.
The steering column was replaced (not the rack), specifically its the electric steering motor that was knocking on mine.
Same here... they tried to tighten the screws and nuts on mine, but it did help only for a few days.

Some part of electric steering motor turn to be loose and can not be repaired.

The new part had the DAEWOO label on it :D:D

I hope it will serve longer than KIA part :D:D

Btw, mine broke up around 40 000 km.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts