Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I have a 2013 Sportage, about 85k miles on it.

There's a "clank" or "knock" which sounds like it's coming from the lower rear axle. It's not super loud, but loud enough to be concerned. The dealer is about 1 and a 1/2 hours away so I wanted to post here first.

Normally I hear the sound when driving forward from a stopped position. I will hear it 1, 2 or 3 times until the car builds more speed and then it goes away. And the sound is almost never herd when driving over 20mph. I can also hear it a couple times when making slow turns. Sometimes noticeable going over small bumps, but sometimes not.

I browsed the forums for a solution. I tightened down the spare good and the jack is super tight. All the seats are locked in. I seriously think it's coming from under the car. I looked under the car for anything loose but everything seems solid.

I don't know if there is a serious problem going. Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: Wife used the E-brake when parking today. She got back in the car, released the e-brake and drove to the store. She called me and said she hasn't heard any sound since. So perhaps maybe the e-brake cable was bound up somewhere. Because the sound does resemble a springy, twang. With that said, we are still not 100% sure.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a similar clunk that would come and go, my wife drives the Sportage. The odd time I’d drive it and notice a noise coming from the rear suspension, was thinking an end link or maybe and strut mount. After lots of head scratching it was the rear seat latches, I had to wrap some electrical tap around the latch, no more noise...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Nick. Yeah, I looked into the seats but everything seems locked and solid into place. Unless I am missing something. Were the seats moving back and forth when latched?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Even though the seats are properly seated and latched it is a common complaint that the latch and striker will have movement creating a knock or creek. I’d give it a little bit of electrical tape to see if it helps at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm taking my Sportage down to the shop. The sound has escalated and is also making a whistling noise. It doesn't feel safe to drive. I will report back here after we find the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I'm back.

The mechanic was an older brother-in-law of mine who has 20 years of automotive experience. So I took it to his shop. Kia dealer was booked for over a week.

The whistling/squeaking sound was the brake sensors. So I got new brakes. Just so happens that both sounds were happening at the same time.

The knocking sound.... He says it's a "body/frame noise", nothing like a rear coupling or axel issue. Something is just hitting itself. We noticed that the muffler could sway back and forth very easily. And he says it could also be the sway bar. But we were not able to pinpoint where it's coming from, part of the reason is that it hasn't really been happening much. The sound is too intermittent for any real solution. Sorry if I disappointed you guys.

With that said, the noise has subsided and sometimes we can go days without it. He says he can't find anything wrong with the car and it's safe to drive.

If anything changes I will reply with the info here.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Does the sportage have a hidden storage under the trunk's floor like the Sorento? Perhaps there is something lose in there?....something round that rolls back and forth when you pick up speed or when you brake...

I can't be just "nothing"...If I were you I'd be camping in the dealership's lounge area until they find the problem.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It does have the little Styrofoam storage divider under the false floor with the mini-spare located underneath it, however the initial comment said it was not the spare tire and it had been checked. Good suggestion though.

·
Super Moderator
9,501 Posts
Haiii!!

Could you able to find the source of this sound?? I also have the same issue with my KIA sportage 2015
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts