Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX Turbo
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this for sometime now. Brought it back to the dealer many times and they say it is normal. When going forward or reverse you hear and feel a knocking sound when going over a small lip like in a driveway. Usually the wheel has to be turned a little. I just found when I am in park and rock the wheel left to right you can feel it. My son just got the 2013 SXL and no noise. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL, 2010 Nissan Altima, 1968 Mustang
7 Posts
That's tough to pinpoint, but I don't think it's normal. I am thinking along the lines of a CV joint or something like that. Or maybe a ball joint. Lift the front of the car and really shake the tires hard. That is a way to check to see if there is movement in the ball joints. You might also go in a parking lot and drive it in a figure of 8. If it makes noise while turning left. The problem is on the right ( usually a CV Joint). The opposite side for the opposite direction.

Hopefully that will at least put you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX Turbo
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I am taking it in tomorrow. I shot some video which has great sound of the noise. I am hoping the mechanic can figure it out by hearing it. I am going to run the sound from my phone through the speakers in the car, which makes it sound as if you are driving the car. It's definitely on the left side. Driving at about 5 mph it really stands out. I did notice by turning a little left you can hear it better. Sounds as if something is loose. I will let you know if they find anything. Every time I brought the car in they said they could not find anything wrong. I want to get this documented in case anything brakes down in the future.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX Turbo
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:(Well guess what, I brought it in this morning and showed them the video with great audio. I took a drive with them and couldn't find a road that has a lot of bumps. I explained the best way to hear it, is to drive around 5mph over a bumpy road. They said they checked out the suspension and found nothing. I guess I will have to find a road around them that is bumpy and take them out again. At least it is documented.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX Turbo
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it possible to put up a video? I shot one the other night and you can hear the noise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts