Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX 2.4 L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, took the car in a year or so ago because of the recall notice. They "inspected" the engine, said they saw no sign of bearing wear (shavings in the pan), did the ECU upgrade. FFW to a couple weeks ago, car went into limp mode. p1326. Knock sensor. Had it towed to the dealer and their first plan was to replace the knock sensor. apparently there were none available, so they did ANOTHER ECU upgrade, cleared the code, refused to replace the engine, (even though the tech said that's what should be done) and , according to the paperwork, they did a "bearing clearance measurement" . When they called my girlfriend to tell her the car was ready, (her car) they tried to sell her an oil change, claiming the oil was dirty, when we are still 3000 miles away from our next service. Also told her trans and cooling system needing to be flushed and it needed spark plugs.
My question is this: How do you do a rod bearing clearance measurement, without pulling the oil pan and and rod caps, which would automatically result in new oil being installed anyway? Is there some new high tech way of doing this that I am not aware of, or is my dealer scamming us ?

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,316 Posts
…. My question is this: How do you do a rod bearing clearance measurement, without pulling the oil pan and and rod caps, ...
You don't, and neither can anyone else either. You are dealing with a bunch of criminals, because checking bearing clearance is not a part of the Kia procedure for dealing with P1326 limp mode, and would never be approved for reimbursement by Kia Corporate. You need to get your vehicle out of there and take it to another Kia stealership who hopefully will do way better than this outfit. And after this gets resolved, you should open a case with Corporate and report the BS these guys told you.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX 2.4 L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't, and neither can anyone else either. You are dealing with a bunch of criminals, because checking bearing clearance is not a part of the Kia procedure for dealing with P1326 limp mode, and would never be approved for reimbursement by Kia Corporate. You need to get your vehicle out of there and take it to another Kia stealership who hopefully will do way better than this outfit. And after this gets resolved, you should open a case with Corporate and report the BS these guys told you.
Thank you.. This has been our assumption all along, was just seeking confirmation. The issue we have is, living in this part of Montana the nearest dealership (the one that did this work) is 100 miles away. The next closest is Spokane, more than 4 hours away. I am getting ready to call them and get their input. Calls to the dealership (in Missoula ) go immediately to voice mail, and usually require several attempts before we get a reply. I do not think they even employ a service manager the way it sounds.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX 2.4 L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.. This has been our assumption all along, was just seeking confirmation. The issue we have is, living in this part of Montana the nearest dealership (the one that did this work) is 100 miles away. The next closest is Spokane, more than 4 hours away. I am getting ready to call them and get their input. Calls to the dealership (in Missoula ) go immediately to voice mail, and usually require several attempts before we get a reply. I do not think they even employ a service manager the way it sounds.
I just got off the phone with a different dealership, and the service mgr. told me that Kia has developed an instrument for checking the rod bearing tolerances. It uses compressed air to move the piston up an down and can measure bearing play that way..Makes sense I guess.. But I still think these guys are shady. I also learned that Kia doesnt "flush" their transaxles or cooling systems, they simply drain and refill. Please correct me if I am wrong in any of this. Thanks again for your time!

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,316 Posts
I just got off the phone with a different dealership, and the service mgr. told me that Kia has developed an instrument for checking the rod bearing tolerances. It uses compressed air to move the piston up an down and can measure bearing play that way..Makes sense I guess.....
Ok, I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, and it certainly would seem that there's something new from Kia/Hyundai that I wasn't previously aware of (in spite of the fact that I spend lots of time reading about this stuff). And I actually had a conversation with a guy on the Hyundai forums a while back, about a similar concept of turning the crank pully bolt and measuring piston movement through the spark plug hole. So I'm certainly willing to concede that there's a new tool which the automakers believe can accurately measure bearing wear, and possible impending engine failure. It would be great if that turns out to be true, and time will tell if it actually can accomplish that task.

However, even if it is successful, this tool will not remediate an unresolved P1326 limp mode issue. The current Kia/Hyundai protocol for dealing with a vehicle that come to them in P1326 limp mode is to first replace the knock sensor wiring harness if it fails the interference test (and possibly the knock sensor as well). But ultimately, if replacing the knock sensor parts does not resolve the limp mode, then engine replacement has so far been their only other possible course of action. The automakers can't change horses in mid stream by telling an owner that the new bearing tolerance test is good, and sending them on their way, because simply resetting the P1326 code rarely eliminates it permanently (based on numerous reports on these forums).

AFA the subsequent upgrade, I've read other accounts from owners of vehicles that received another upgrade after getting the P1326, and I have a feeling it's actually some type of backout of the original upgrade, or possibly a large reduction in the sensitivity trigger point. JMO about that, and I hope that whatever the latest upgrade actually is, it results in you not seeing that miserable code again in the future.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD
7 Posts
I just took my 2012 in due to excessive oil consumption. (1.5 QTS in 975 miles). They did the same bearing test and came back with a bad PCV valve as the culprit.....

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX 2.4 L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, and it certainly would seem that there's something new from Kia/Hyundai that I wasn't previously aware of (in spite of the fact that I spend lots of time reading about this stuff). And I actually had a conversation with a guy on the Hyundai forums a while back, about a similar concept of turning the crank pully bolt and measuring piston movement through the spark plug hole. So I'm certainly willing to concede that there's a new tool which the automakers believe can accurately measure bearing wear, and possible impending engine failure. It would be great if that turns out to be true, and time will tell if it actually can accomplish that task.

However, even if it is successful, this tool will not remediate an unresolved P1326 limp mode issue. The current Kia/Hyundai protocol for dealing with a vehicle that come to them in P1326 limp mode is to first replace the knock sensor wiring harness if it fails the interference test (and possibly the knock sensor as well). But ultimately, if replacing the knock sensor parts does not resolve the limp mode, then engine replacement has so far been their only other possible course of action. The automakers can't change horses in mid stream by telling an owner that the new bearing tolerance test is good, and sending them on their way, because simply resetting the P1326 code rarely eliminates it permanently (based on numerous reports on these forums).

AFA the subsequent upgrade, I've read other accounts from owners of vehicles that received another upgrade after getting the P1326, and I have a feeling it's actually some type of backout of the original upgrade, or possibly a large reduction in the sensitivity trigger point. JMO about that, and I hope that whatever the latest upgrade actually is, it results in you not seeing that miserable code again in the future.
Thanks Kiaguy.. I appreciate your time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts