Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

New to the forum and to Kia.

Just recently purchased a used 61 reg Picanto 2 1.25 Ecodynamics with 3500 miles. Looked at many small city cars and it was the Picanto that scored the best for driver leg room. Also the 7 year warranty certainly was attractive.

Before I begin the warranty discussions with KIA I just wanted to see if anyone else here has had this same issue.

When moving off from a stationary position I get a slight single knock noise each time I release the clutch in 1st and 2nd gear – no noise when moving out of the higher gears. This knocking noise decreases as the car warms up.

Any help and advice very welcome.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Is the noise repeatable? i.e. Does operating the clutch with the car stationary produces the "knock"? Same noise whether in gear or in neutral, or only when taking off from standstill?

I don't think there would be anything special about 1st and 2nd gear, except that if there is a problem with the engine mounts, the extra torque in 1st and 2nd may be tipping the engine far enough to hit something. Otherwise, repeatable noise might be slack throw-out pivot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wry 'Cuda

The knock noise only happens when accelerating from a stop, when you let out the clutch, when moving out of 1st gear. No noise if you depress and release the clutch when out of gear - engine running or not.

So, the knock noise seems to happen only when the engine and gearbox is under the greatest load - i.e. when moving off from a standstill and only when the car is cold. Strange...

-------

Also have a new annoying rattle in the rear boot area. Checked all the obvious. Found that if you load the boot with heavy items the noise goes away. Can only think that the cover over the spare is somehow making the noise.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts