Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2005 EX 3.5L Automatic
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to look-up the procedure how to change the fuel filter on a '05 Sedona on kiatechinfo.com.
Here's what it says:

Remove the fuel tank cap to lower the fuel tank's internal pressure.
2. Locate access cover.
3. Remove the fuel pump & fuel filter assembly installation screws, then remove the fuel pump & fuel filter assimbly from the fuel tank.

Really? This has got to be the worst description I've ever seen!

Does not say where the access door is.
Would you not depressure the fuel system by first taking-out fuel pump fuse and run-out the fuel/pressure BEFORE attempting to open the fuel tank?
Would you not remove the negative battery cable when doing this?

Or is it just me? These descriptions did not do much for me. Oh well, at least the access to kiatechinfo.com is free and did not pay for these wonderful instructions.....

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
Edit: See a writeup I did on replacing the fuel filter below that expands on the manual

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That seems pretty deficient alright. Here are the relevant bits from my manual:

Releasing Fuel System Pressure

! WARNING THE FUEL SYSTEM REMAINS UNDER PRESSURE WHEN THE ENGINE IS NOT RUNNING. RELEASE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE BEFORE DISCONNECTING ANY FUEL LINE TO REDUCE THE CHANCE OF PERSONAL INJURY OR FIRE DAMAGE TO VEHICLE COMPONENTS.

1. Start engine.
2. Disconnect fuel pump connector located under center floor carpet.
3. Let engine stall, then turn IG OFF.
4. Reconnect fuel pump connector.

Fuel Filter Removal

1. Release fuel system pressure. Refer to "Releasing fuel system pressure".
2. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
3. Remove service cover under center floor carpet.
4. Disconnect fuel pump's electrical connector, main and return hose.
5. Unfasten fuel pump and filter assembly fixing-bolt (6 EA).
6. Extract fuel pump & filter assembly.
7. Remove the pump & filter assembly case.
8. Disconnect fuel pump electrical connector and pull the fuel pump from the fuel filter.
* Notice: Be careful not to lose O-Ring (4 EA)​
Nothing specific about replacing the filter, but I guess its implicitly that favorite of Haynes manuals 'Installation is the reverse of removal'.

Priming the fuel system

After fuel pressure has been released, system must be primed to avoid excessive cranking to restart the engine.
1. Connect terminal 1 (FUEL PUMP) and terminal 5 (Battery+) of data link connector with a jumper wire.
2. Turn IG ON for no longer than 10 seconds to pressurize system and check for fuel leaks. (Jumper wire gets if it is left in for longer than 10 seconds)
3. Turn IG OFF and remove jumper wire.​
The wording in Step 2 seems to be missing a word between 'gets' and 'if' - 'hot'? surely that would depend on the wire you are using for the jumper.

The above is from the manuals covering the Carnival / Sedona with the 2.5l GV6 / KV6 / K5 engine, but I'd imagine its fairly common to all.

Changing the filter is on my to-do list so I've not done this myself as yet.

No mention in my manual about releasing any residual pressure in the tank by removing the filler cap - I'd certainly be doing that before opening the tank.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent! Thanks for those instructions, look much more like it. May I ask where yoneu purchased this manual and much you paid? I've been searching for a Sedonal manual but cannot find one (Hayne's don't make them).

·
Registered
2001 Kia Carnival 2.5L manual & 2000 Carnival Auto
320 Posts
Again, please note that the in tank fuel filter is a bag.
It would takes an awful amount of shitty fuel to clog it..

Look eleswhere first for any problems...

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
Replacing the Carnival's fuel filter

I replaced my fuel filter last weekend as it had become apparent its never been done since the vehicle left the factory 110,000km ago (another story...).

I cut the filter case open and you're right, the paper element is commendably large. Good thing too, as mine was full of red mud. However, there'd been no signs of fuel starvation when going up steep hills etc, so it was still coping fine.

Regarding the instructions from the w/s manual that I posted above, typical of workshop manuals much can lurk behind that simple word 'remove'. I found a few tricks and traps and wrote up a .pdf with photos etc, now located here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regarding the instructions from the w/s manual that I posted above, typical of workshop manuals much can lurk behind that simple word 'remove'. I found a few tricks and traps and wrote up a .pdf with photos etc, attached. Comments and additions solicited!
PeterBlue- Excellent write-up! This will certainly come-in handy. Thanks for taking the time putting that togehter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts