Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kia's are ok, but there is a reason they give you that 100,000 mile warranty, because they know their cars are going to have problems. I am an ASE master technian and see alot of kia's including my mother's 2002 sedona that has 36,000 miles on it and has already had both head gaskets replaced because of coolant leakage, valve cover gaskets replaced because extreme oil leakage, upper radiator hose leaking, radio replaced three times, alternator twice, power steering pump because of whinning. Luckly she's got that warranty but that does not componsate for her inconvience of not have her vehicle. I will admit some owner's may not have as many problems as her with their kia's but i infasize the word YET! The part's and quality control on the kias are very poor. I'll stick with my toyota's and honda's over any kia any day. Good luck and get your problems fixed before that warranty is up and you have to spend some big bucks.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Originally posted by zws81@Dec 31 2004, 03:32 AM
Kia's are ok, but there is a reason they give you that 100,000 mile warranty, because they know their cars are going to have problems. I am an ASE master technian and see alot of kia's including my mother's 2002 sedona that has 36,000 miles on it and has already had both head gaskets replaced because of coolant leakage, valve cover gaskets replaced because extreme oil leakage, upper radiator hose leaking, radio replaced three times, alternator twice, power steering pump because of whinning. Luckly she's got that warranty but that does not componsate for her inconvience of not have her vehicle. I will admit some owner's may not have as many problems as her with their kia's but i infasize the word YET! The part's and quality control on the kias are very poor. I'll stick with my toyota's and honda's over any kia any day. Good luck and get your problems fixed before that warranty is up and you have to spend some big bucks.
hey you got a lemon so what every car EVERY on the market has lemons.

hell wanna talk about a great kia. ok we will talk about mine. ive got just about 120,000. all ive ever had to do to it is matinence. plugs, wires, filters, oil changes at every 3k, brakes.
still on original clutch. this car goes to the drag stip every summer gets pounded every day and never seen the shop for a bad problem......

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad to hear there are good ones! I have also had mine in for many repairs includeing replacing the compressor unit within the first year. I told the dealership that the warranty was the only thing keeping it in my garage!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I wish I had a good one, it does about 20 miles to the gallon, is constantly having problems with something under load after about 30-40 miles at 2400 revs. it will only idle for the other 200 miles of the journey at 40-50 mph. then be fine the next day when it goes to the garage.

I will never suggest that anyone buys one, and I myself will never buy another one... who ever heard of a car that goes rusty after 1 year.. what is it made of?

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
I dont know where you think you are supposed to get 30 mpg in the 3.5L v-6 as the 1.8L spectras are rated for that mileage per gallon. 20-25 seems right on the money. Also you get bad gas mileage with a loaded van. I see you do that sometimes that is why I mention it.
Do all of you people do the routine maintence that is supposed to be done??
I just ask dont take it to offence but I see a lot of people complain things go wrong but do nothing to the cars till something goes wrong... There are routine things to help keep car running longer stronger...
I have 2 kias
1. 1999 kia sephia 120,000 miles
2. 2001 Kia spectra with 33,000 miles

None have been to shop other than whats supposed to be done...

Also my father has a 2000 kia sephia with 107,000 miles not a problem ever......

·
Registered
391 Posts
the kia sedona documentation states 30 mpg in the 2.9 CRDi, although on a tickover 200 mile journey it manages 25 mpg not 30.. remember UK gallons are bigger than american at 4.54 litres ( i think so anyway ).

yeah I had a 1990 volvo 740 GLT 2.3 16v for 5 years and all it cost me was £7 GBP for new alternator brushes and some oil and filters every 8 months, I pay more in diesel driving it to the dealership to be fixed again. this sedona is a waste of money once again today it decided to kangaroo up the road doing 40 mph. I assume some sedonas are much better, as they are so popular in the UK.

hopefully some other car will write mine off so I can buy a decent car. I am supposed to be driving everyone to newcastle in a month or so and considering it can only be seen once every 2 or 3 weeks for the engine/ ecu / injector problems and it is never fixed when it is returned I doubt very much it will be a pleasurable journey. oh no thats a lie it has leather seats and a dvd player for the kids. :blink:

·
Registered
71 Posts
"the kia sedona documentation states 30 mpg in the 2.9 CRDi"

I'm Just asking .... but where does it state this? Does it or will it differ for different year Sedona's? I know I've not had my long but even with the short trips I'm doing I get, on average 44 mpg with varying loads. Maybe it's because its new and not run in yet, etc., etc., but *gheesh* if I end up getting 30mpg or less it's gonna cost a fortune to run!

·
Registered
2004 Cerato LX
75 Posts
1999 Shuma, 81500 miles on the clock, only ever had standard maintenance on it, the only things replaced have been the battery, cam belt and mid/rear exhaust, but just standard wear and tear stuff you would get with any make. Starts everytime, 38mpg, no strange noises....I'd buy another Kia tomorrow if theyre all like mine

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by CurlyWurlyGirl@May 24 2005, 06:46 PM
"the kia sedona documentation states 30 mpg in the 2.9 CRDi"

I'm Just asking .... but where does it state this?  Does it or will it differ for different year Sedona's?  I know I've not had my long but even with the short trips I'm doing I get, on average 44 mpg with varying loads.  Maybe it's because its new and not run in yet, etc., etc., but *gheesh* if I end up getting 30mpg or less it's gonna cost a fortune to run!

that is a real breakthrough... what reg is yours nine is 2003 with 25,000 miles

people told me the fuel consumption will improve as the car get run in.

http://www.kia.co.uk/sedonatechspecification.asp about three quarters of the way down.. it is higher than the which magazines marks.. perhaps they have a new engine... I have an Automatic 2.9.. and drive it gently sometimes and hard other times, but it really is terrible it costs me £35 for 200 miles. oh I am not sure if it makes a difference in models, my one has leather interior, is that much heavier?

I will look for some "non kia official government stats...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hiya Clarts

My Sedona is new this year ... still running it in (not had it that long really!)
I will look at that website addy today - thanks very much for that :)

I've got a 2.9 manual. I'm not sure if this does make a difference compared to an automatic (if it does, I wouldn't have thought it was a great one *shrug* I just dunno). I use the car with some versitility - school runs, shopping, stocking up with supplies (animal feeds, bales, hay, etc.) ... the list of uses is endless with some quite heavy loads. I've not long done a round trip from Edinburgh-West Sussex on one tank of diesel (roughly 900 miles, give or take) - driving not far over the legal limit (allegedly! *cough* *cough*) on the motorways. I've been told that this mpg was good.

Again, I wouldn't have thought seat coverings would make any difference. I don't use a roof box and don't tow either.

Fiona

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got a 2004 2.9CDRi with about 13,000 miles on it. No problems whatsoever yet. Regularly get about 27 MPG about town, my best is 48MPG on a 300 mile run from Edinburugh to Birmingham. As for Kia's being rubbish - well, all I can say is that so far I have not had a single issue - not even as much as a squeak or rattle - I must have got one of the ones they built on Monday morning, instead of one built on Friday afternoon after a trip to the pub !

·
Registered
39 Posts
900 Miles on one tank ? Really ? The only way you could do that was if the car was on the back of a transporter ! Even the sales brochure quotes a max. range of about 600.

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX, 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GL
145 Posts
But realise the brochure is based soley on MPG averages.

You folks have diesl and to be honest I was able to get 575 miles to a single tank of gas in my 02 Sedona last year in a trip from Canada to Florida. I averaged 800 to 875 kms per tank over the entire drive.

As for KIA's sucking I bought mine new and traded it with 75000 for an 05 Sorento and the thing was as tight the day I handed the keys off as it was the day I picked it up.

I've owned GM's, Fords, Chryslers, Honda's and to be honest I was VERY :D happy with it as a vehicle. Remember every manufacturer has bad vehicles. It's the nature of manufacturing.

I mean look at the latest JD Power results. KIA finished above Porsche, Mazda and VW just to name a few.

·
Registered
71 Posts
tonyd Posted Yesterday, 05:38 PM
900 Miles on one tank ? Really ? The only way you could do that was if the car was on the back of a transporter ! Even the sales brochure quotes a max. range of about 600.

Yes, 900 miles on one tank. Really! Passed a few transporters and even though I do have this overwhelming desire to mount one at speed, I refrained myself.

As for sales brochures, well, I rewrote one for vauxhall ref: max speed ... so what does that tell you about them?

:) smiles over the miles :)

Fiona

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
that guy didnt say 900 miles read his post he said 300 heres the quote

on a 300 mile run

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
front windscreen wiper needs replacing too as all the paint has fallen off it.
This happens to 99.5% of every vehicle. rain and weather fades thm and they crack....

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX, 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GL
145 Posts
Same thing happened to my 02 Sedone. I took it (wiper arm) off the van sanded it down and repainted it with a rust proof paint I had around my garage. To be honest it looked better than stock. It took me 15 minutes total to do the sanding and painting and I had it reinstalled in 2 hours tops. And I agree it happens to all vehicles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts