Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Borrego
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 Borrego with the 4.6 V8 started making a bad noise. Vehicle was fine day before next morning my wife came into the house and said the KIA was ticking. I checked the oil it was fine had her start it back up and sure enough tick, tick tick like a lifter was not pumping up. I sent her to work in my truck I figured I would check the KIA again after work I really thought after the temp warmed up it would be fine Wrong! I started it up that afternoon it sounded like something was coming apart in the motor. I shut it off and called the dealer then a tow truck. Next day the dealer calls me and says there are metal shavings inside the motor and I have to prove I have had the engine serviced.
I carried documentation of 10 oil changes ( a little over 52000 miles I only had to change it 7 times) to the service manager. Two days later I call to check and they tell me I will be getting a new engine. The next week they call me and tell me they went into the engine and could not find the source of the metal and its no longer making noise so I could come get it.

Am I over reacting It seems to me they either need to find the source of the metal and fix it or replace the engine.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego EX V8 2WD
111 Posts
I would take it to another dealership to get a second opinion. You could always drive it for a little bit and just see what it does. Sounds a little fishy to me though.

·
Registered
Borrego
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Called KIA Motors customer service they pretty muched backed the dealer. They keep saying the trouble is documented and I still have plenty of time left on the warrantey. They don't seem to understand I spent over 30 grand for a reliable vehicle not somthing I have to worry about the engine locking up on me while driving thru a construction zone with no shoulder to pull off of in the middle of the night.

Went and picked up the Borrego tonight the invoice said the found " Debris in a lifter and left side valve cover. Cleaned debris. Vehicle to spec at this time"
Down in the materials used: 6 quarts of 5W20 oil and one quart of MARVEL MYSTERY OIL!

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
I would perform some kind of dyno test to see if you lost any ponies or combustion / pressure etc. metal shavings that is not picked up by the filter is not a good sign and while the engine 'runs', it would probably be a matter of time before significant failure recurs. If anything, Kia bought time at your expense so that if and when the fault happens they are banking it happens after warranty expires. Just a thought. If you can get an independent mechanic to give his blessings then perhaps you're okay.

Besides, how do they go from "your getting a new (read refurb) engine" to "we can't find the source of the metal pieces in your engine - oh well let's pack it up and put fresh recycled oil in her..."??

Good luck - keep us posted
and always check the NHTSA site for similar problems in your case...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts