Kia Forum banner
101 - 120 of 153 Posts

· Registered
2019 Kia Rio
9 Posts
I'm reading multiple news articles about pre 2021 Kia and Hyundai's easy to steal. What are folks doing to add security to their vehicles? I've purchased a steering wheel lock but I'm looking for a better solution like an ignition kill switch or something similar that I can install.

· Registered
2020 Kia Soul G2.0 MPI
1 Posts
I can easily check the status of the immobilizer on a 2020 Kia Soul, but for this I used special software and OBDLink adapter. If the immobilizer is present and enabled, the program will show the number of learned keys...
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

· Registered
2014 Kia Soul ! (Exclaim) fully loaded, bought it new.
3 Posts
Is there a list somewhere of the years and models that lack the "immobilzer"? For greater understanding this AP article link talks about the concern. Thanks

· Registered
2014 Kia Soul ! (Exclaim) fully loaded, bought it new.
3 Posts
Is there a link to a list of effected vehicle years and models? Thanks

· Registered
2017 Sorento EX FWD V6, 2017 Forte SX 2.0L
11 Posts
I'm reading multiple news articles about pre 2021 Kia and Hyundai's easy to steal. What are folks doing to add security to their vehicles? I've purchased a steering wheel lock but I'm looking for a better solution like an ignition kill switch or something similar that I can install.
I'm also considering adding an ignition kill switch to my Kia Forte. Info on kill switch options is posted here.

· Registered
2013 Kia Optima Ex
1 Posts
Stay away from Hyundai/Kia until they address their very easy stolen vehicles. My optima was stolen last month. The car wasn't hot wired. It was jimmy rigged somehow without a key. The thief was also able to unlock/pick the door lock without sounding my alarm. I confirmed it was locked via my home's security footage.

I picked it up last week from the city tow and another Kia/hyundai owner was picking their recently stolen vehicle up as well (their second one this year). Stolen converters and personal items for us both.

I loved my optima until I had to deal with several recalls, a failed engine (engine replacement covered by warrantee) and this incident. It's a 2013 with 80k miles that should not be causing an owner these many headaches.

· Registered
2016 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L
396 Posts
Nothing earth-shaking here but just sharing that I'm trying out a python-style lock to wrap around the steering column and make it tougher to snap open.

Pictured is a 6 feet model I picked up and the lock part of it fits nicely next to the column adjustment lever - it's a bit more snug now than pictured since I fiddled with it. Of course it's easier to defeat than a Club or a form-fitting metal collar and nothing against an actual thief - I'd assume that the cable would be easier to cut than sawing through the steering wheel and requires the thief to be slightly more observant when scoping but if it makes it more annoying than targeting the next guy...

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Steering part Steering wheel

I did also read about the option of adding an aftermarket glass break sensor (glorified microphone) or interior motion sensor to trip the alarm since window breakage doesn't trigger a lot of stock alarms by itself but I'm not sure I really want to put more money into this car beyond maintenance since I'm eyeing something body-on-frame long-term.

· Registered
2016 Kia Soul 1.6L automatic transmission
8 Posts
I watched a great video last night on how to add the best possible kill switch using the fuel pump underneath the back seat. It looked so simple and very inexpensive. What size wire is used on fuel pump I’m assuming it’s 16AWG but maybe it can be 18AWG can anyone confirm please. I can’t believe how simple it looked. It seems like the best possible way to protect yourself from the craziness in today’s society with that Tiktok kia challenge.

· Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
50 Posts
Owners of older Hyundai and Kia models have had a rough go over the last few months. A TikTok video made them the targets of thefts and break-ins after it was discovered that the vehicles didn’t have electronic immobilizers. Some have sued, some are resorting to old-school measures like “The Club,” and others are looking to dealers for help. A dealer service director in St. Louis came up with an answer.

Elliot Silk from Suntrup Automotive Group said he had dozens of Hyundais and Kias in the service lot, waiting for repairs from damage caused by break-ins. He and a service tech took matters into their own hands with an in-house-developed Bluetooth immobilizer. After three months of work, Silk said his device prevents the engine from being started until the driver has pressed a button on a key fob.

Silk thinks the device will stop everyday thieves from nabbing a car with one of his devices. He’s also confident the installation will prevent the removal of the device, as the vehicle would need some rewiring work done afterward.

The immobilizer is available for $200 installed at Silk’s dealership, and he’s also offering it online for $99 plus shipping. Hyundai and Kia told Automotive News they haven’t studied the device but say they “continue to review and evaluate options. Both automakers state that their 2022 and newer models come with immobilizers, but that’s little consolation to the millions of owners without. There may be an official solution in the future, but this is a solid alternative for now. Dealer Develops Home-Brew Fix for TikTok-Inspired Hyundai and Kia Thieves | The Truth About Cars

· Registered
2015 Sorento SX AWD
2,099 Posts
I have seen my video's and new broadcasts on how easy these new system are to compromise in seconds. Its happening in Canada even though immobilizers are standard.

Its way too easy for the pro's to get access the to the ECU and program an new key/fob and gone faster than anyone can get out the door.

Why are not the OEM"s not updating the firmware with better safeguards. Anything and owner can do merely slows the down. Whether the club, ODB block is used does not stop them. Even not having keys in scanning range in a shielded bag/box either.

There needs to be a change. The old fashion key was more secure.

· Registered
2015 Sorento SX AWD
2,099 Posts
There is a ton on MSN and even TV lately news about all the latest posh Push to Start theft and shows how easy it is from home security cam's. Organized crime people doing it. If you google about its all over on some methods to minimize but stopping is not possible if its outside.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sparklander

· Registered
2015 Sorento SX AWD
2,099 Posts
What you're seeing on MSN and TV is it Kia specific?
No, web link are now attached but relates to Smart or Push Button start vehicles as I have two of these. OEM need to step up and make some software upgrades to make it very difficult to compromised the system by intruders/thieves.

· Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
426 Posts
Used car prices are going down... so hopefully they'll be stealing less cars?

Didn't realize OBD port can be used to steal cars. Wow.

· Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
361 Posts
I see quite a few RF shield boxes for push button start remotes listed on Amazon.
These should help with type of theft where thieves capture the RF signal from outside your home.

101 - 120 of 153 Posts