Kia Forum banner
81 - 100 of 153 Posts

· Registered
2013 Rio EX 1.6 hatchback
53 Posts
Under US regulations immobilizers are not required. Considering that the car has most of the immobilizer hardware already installed, it's a nonsense that hyundai did not make it functional. Same vehicles in canada do have an immobilizer. If you want to import a US model into canada, you have to reftrofit some sort of immobilizer device to pass inspection.

I'll be installing some aftermarket solution in my 13 rio shortly.

· Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX AWD 2.4L / Titanium
122 Posts
Have you gotten it yet? If so, how did it fit your Sportage's 2017 steering wheel? The comments on that particular device said that the design of many modern steering wheels doesn't accommodate the double hooks.

If this Club fits the wheel below, then I think that's the one I'll get. Curiously enough, it's cheaper than the traditional red single-hooked Club.

Thanks!

-SM2016

· Registered
2016 Sorento LX 3.3L V6 AWD, 2012 Soul !
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
For those who have the vulnerable kias-- a club is only going to work a LITTLE BIT. That is, it will provide a visual deterrent for the thieves who MAY just move on to another vehicle. Sadly, even the best steering wheel clubs are still super easy to defeat. Probably good to get as they're cheap (and many community police departments are giving them away for free). But it wwon't be a guarantee.

· Registered
53 Posts
For those who have the vulnerable kias-- a club is only going to work a LITTLE BIT. That is, it will provide a visual deterrent for the thieves who MAY just move on to another vehicle. Sadly, even the best steering wheel clubs are still super easy to defeat. Probably good to get as they're cheap (and many community police departments are giving them away for free). But it wwon't be a guarantee.
If you see the amazon reviews from the one posted above, it bends like butter. Several people have had their car stolen in the reviews. Also, having to put/remove it each time is an annoyance, I drive my car 4 times a day, so even though it could be useful as a visual deterrent (not much as most creeps know you can break them in seconds), it's not for me.

I'm going the immobilizer way. I have the factory alarm, but it's useless as a lot of times they break the drivers door lock and turn it, causing the alarm to disarm as the car thinks you're using a legitimate key to enter. So first of all, I'm going to disable the key lock switch. If I ever have to use the key in the lock for any reason the alarm will go off and the car won't be able to start for a minute, but honestly I've used the key to enter the vehicle probably twice in 9 years.

Second, i'm going to install an immobilizer that disables the starter motor. Yes, they could pop the hood and bridge the starter solenoid, but realistically that's not going to happen as they will probably just leave after the alarm goes off, nor they are gonna spend time trying to understand what's going on with the car or why it doesn't start.

The main objective is avoiding them to start the vehicle and leave. Avoiding an intrusion is impossible, as they can pop the door lock and turn it or just break a window, and any other thing like a steering wheel club can be defeated in seconds.

· Registered
2015 Sorento SX AWD
2,099 Posts
The standard stuff preventing stealing keeps the honest thief from steeling your ride. Leave the door open and keys in it and they're good. But the more professional type will have figured out how to get in, start the vehicle etc. Each layer you add slows them down and the Club is only another level, cutting the wheel if equipped and its still gone. Its dependent on the person and how determined they are. Pro's likely scan in advance the ride and know where it is and pick their time. Not random, so they're prepared.

· Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
426 Posts
yeah, visual deterrent is better than nothing. If thief is determined to steal something, anything can be stolen! Making the thief work extra hard to saw it off may just cause the thief to move on to another super easier to steal Kia! ;)

For me, I figured that if my car is stolen, I’d either get it back or insurance would cover it. If I do get it back, I don’t want a damaged steering wheel… hopefully my push bottom car is known to be a bit harder to steal?

How can I check if there is immobilizer in my 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport? It has key, not Push-to-Start button. Thank you.
I don’t know for sure, but my understanding is that only push button ones have immobilizes.

· Registered
2021 KIA Sorento SX XLINE Glacial White Pearl
106 Posts
How about Hyundia and Kia do the right thing and install the immobilizers like they should of. They already took out features in the US version of the Sorrento for what ever reason........ making money to now this. But they wait until the lawsuits cost them more than they are willing to bear to come up with a resolution.

· Administrator
12,627 Posts
How about Hyundia and Kia do the right thing and install the immobilizers like they should of. They already took out features in the US version of the Sorrento for what ever reason........ making money to now this. But they wait until the lawsuits cost them more than they are willing to bear to come up with a resolution.
What are you suggesting, that they retrofit all the vehicles, or install them in all new models?

Highly unlikely that a law suit will get anywhere with this subject.

· Registered
2020 KIA Sorento SX6 FWD.
32 Posts
An excerpt from a Fox News article:
Law enforcement in the area have expressed concern about a nationwide trend this summer involving Hyundai and Kia thefts. A viral Tiktok video from the so-called "Kia Boys" shows thieves how to use a USB cable to steal rides.
The car was a 2021 Kia Forte, but electronics wise for all I know it works on all of them.

· Registered
2017 Sedona LX 3.3L V6
253 Posts
i confirm KIA s are easy to break into as philipino slaves sent from abroad to beg and steal from us could easily open both my cars using transmitters (kia and toyota) each time they knock for donations a few days later they come back to raid our street

· Registered
2018 sportage EX
53 Posts
whats up with all the reports of these being stolen using USB cables. it can't be that easy ?? from what i have seen, its the ones with key start, not push button start. any body else hear about this or know anything about it.

· Registered
2019 Niro PHEV Ex Premium
221 Posts
whats up with all the reports of these being stolen using USB cables. it can't be that easy ?? from what i have seen, its the ones with key start, not push button start. any body else hear about this or know anything about it.
There is slightly more to it than just sticking a USB cable into the key hole or something, but not that much. Kias and Hyundais with physical key ignition don't have immobilizers (in the US). The push-button start have immobilizers, so they are protected (from this kind of easy theft--no car is completely immune to theft).

· Registered
53 Posts
The USB cable thing is just mass media bull shit. They use a usb cable just to rotate the ignition switch that is accessible after removing the ignition lock cylinder, just because it fits. You can use some pliers or even your fingers.

The main two reasons these cars are so easy to steal are that the ignition lock is an absolute piece of shit made entirely out of plastic, so they can just pry the lock cylinder and gain access to the little "lever" that the lock cylinder turns, and second, there is no immobilizer system in the USDM vehicles, so you can just "hotwire" them as if it was a 1970s car. And I say "hotwire" because you don't even need to touch anything electrical, as the ignition lock is so fragile that you just pry it and turn it, no need to mess with wires or break the steering column lock.

The little silver thing in this image is that they turn using a usb connector. You might use anything you want just to rotate it like some pliers, two coins together or almost anything you can imagine.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim

Any person with two working brain cells can remove the ignition lock that is held only by ONE screw (or just pry it and it will break, as the plastic it's made of has the consistency of a water bottle) and turn that little lever to start the car.

· Administrator
12,627 Posts
Lets not start unsubstantiated rants.

You'll probably find other manufacturers from the same time frame that don't have transponder anti theft devices installed from the factory, and they might not be a favorite with the thieves for whatever reason, and doubt the other manufactures are going to retrofit all those vehicles at no cost.

If I had one of the vehicles that are popular with the thieves I install something like this:
car Immobiliser System with Engine Automatic Lock or Unlock Anti-hijacking & Anti-Theft DC12V Easy DIY
One member decided to take his rants to another level and added racist comments - he is banned from further participation in this thread.

· Registered
2016 Sorento LX 3.3L V6 AWD, 2012 Soul !
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
What started in my town (Milwaukee) is now spreading rapidly across the Nation. I've seen some very recent news items in the Los Angellos area that are just now saying, "Hey! all our Kias and Hyundais are getting stolen!"

When I first posted this thread, it was relatively new and limited to my area. Not anymore.

TokTok videos posted by "The Kia Boyz" are the source. Spreading like wildfire.

· Registered
2006 Sedona EX; 2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
26 Posts
Although KIA may not be obligated to remedy the problem, they should or risk losing customers! Think about potential increase in the insurance premium. I petitioned a solution with the KIA customer service by filling a case here: https://ksupport.kiausa.com/ConsumerAffairs/Message/NewMessage . I encourage you to do the same. Not sure it will make any difference. But it might if our voice is loud enough. I personally will stay away from the brand if KIA takes no action on this.

Just found out that Hyundai is coming up with a security kit this November: Hyundai to sell security kits to deal with problem of thefts . Hope KIA will follow suite.

81 - 100 of 153 Posts