Kia Forum banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,525 Posts
Lets not start unsubstantiated rants.

You'll probably find other manufacturers from the same time frame that don't have transponder anti theft devices installed from the factory, and they might not be a favorite with the thieves for whatever reason, and doubt the other manufactures are going to retrofit all those vehicles at no cost.

If I had one of the vehicles that are popular with the thieves I install something like this:
car Immobiliser System with Engine Automatic Lock or Unlock Anti-hijacking & Anti-Theft DC12V Easy DIY

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
201 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
984 Posts
I'm still unclear as to what some people think you can supposedly sue Kia over - they did not include a piece of optional equipment in certain trim levels. It has nothing to do with (a) safety (b) performance or (c) emissions and therefore doesn't fall under the purview of any government agency (just because you can submit a complaint to a particular agency doesn't mean they are going to act on it or that it is even the appropriate place to file the complaint). I'm much more concerned over the poor quality of headlights in the LX version but, they meet government mandates and so it becomes up to me to upgrade them as appropriate, not Kia.

If people have their panties in a twist over this, how about how easy it is to steal catalytic converters off of most cars? Should manufacturers be retrofitting steel shields because they made them too accessible? Should we be filing complaints with government agencies claiming that the manufacturers have made these a target of thieves?

Some things you just have to either fix on your own dime, or live with it the way it is. This is one of them.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX 3.3L V6 AWD
174 Posts
Only thing I see with steering wheel locks is that a well determined thief will cut the steering wheel to remove it for joyriding. Not sure if the electronics on the steering wheel controls affect the driving.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento LX AWD
338 Posts
The videos I watched today said they could use the same usb method on push start Kia’s too. It’s behind the start button. Maybe I got the wrong information but I just bought a steering lock
They aren't going after the push button start Kia's and Hyundai's. They are going for the traditional key start vehicles because there is NO immobilizer on them. The push button start vehicles have an immobilizer, so the same methods can't be used to start them. My issue with all of this is the fact that vehicle manufacturers have been using immobilizer chipped keys for years and years, but Kia and Hyundai only had the immobilizer for regular key start vehicles in Canada. When I purchased my 2017 LX, I just assumed it had an immobilizer because every other modern vehicle on the road has one. The other issue is that the factory alarm system isn't being triggered because they are breaking a window and crawling into the car rather than breaking a window and then unlocking the door. If the thief did it that way, the factory alarm would sound, and the ignition is then disabled until the alarm is turned off. By crawling in through a window and not triggering the alarm, they can then rip the ignition apart and start the car. One simple way to help with this is to get a shock (glass break) sensor and have it trigger the factory alarm. That way, as soon as the glass is broken or the car is vibrated, the factory alarm will sound and the ignition is disabled. That is what Kia/Hyundai needs to install for their customers. I can see insurance premiums going up big time on these cars because of this.

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
167 Posts
1 Immobilizer chips were not required in the usa..
2 Suv's are still in short supply. sorentos 7,000 to 10,000 over list by me.
3 Why would any car company do an expensive retrofit for free that isn't mandated.
Anything is possible, like winning the big lottery. It sucks but it is what it is.

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX 1.6 hatchback
46 Posts
Under US regulations immobilizers are not required. Considering that the car has most of the immobilizer hardware already installed, it's a nonsense that hyundai did not make it functional. Same vehicles in canada do have an immobilizer. If you want to import a US model into canada, you have to reftrofit some sort of immobilizer device to pass inspection.

I'll be installing some aftermarket solution in my 13 rio shortly.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX AWD 2.4L / Titanium
105 Posts
Have you gotten it yet? If so, how did it fit your Sportage's 2017 steering wheel? The comments on that particular device said that the design of many modern steering wheels doesn't accommodate the double hooks.

If this Club fits the wheel below, then I think that's the one I'll get. Curiously enough, it's cheaper than the traditional red single-hooked Club.

Thanks!

-SM2016

·
Registered
1 Posts
How can I check if there is immobilizer in my 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport? It has key, not Push-to-Start button. Thank you.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX 3.3L V6 AWD, 2012 Soul !
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
For those who have the vulnerable kias-- a club is only going to work a LITTLE BIT. That is, it will provide a visual deterrent for the thieves who MAY just move on to another vehicle. Sadly, even the best steering wheel clubs are still super easy to defeat. Probably good to get as they're cheap (and many community police departments are giving them away for free). But it wwon't be a guarantee.

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX 1.6 hatchback
46 Posts
For those who have the vulnerable kias-- a club is only going to work a LITTLE BIT. That is, it will provide a visual deterrent for the thieves who MAY just move on to another vehicle. Sadly, even the best steering wheel clubs are still super easy to defeat. Probably good to get as they're cheap (and many community police departments are giving them away for free). But it wwon't be a guarantee.
If you see the amazon reviews from the one posted above, it bends like butter. Several people have had their car stolen in the reviews. Also, having to put/remove it each time is an annoyance, I drive my car 4 times a day, so even though it could be useful as a visual deterrent (not much as most creeps know you can break them in seconds), it's not for me.

I'm going the immobilizer way. I have the factory alarm, but it's useless as a lot of times they break the drivers door lock and turn it, causing the alarm to disarm as the car thinks you're using a legitimate key to enter. So first of all, I'm going to disable the key lock switch. If I ever have to use the key in the lock for any reason the alarm will go off and the car won't be able to start for a minute, but honestly I've used the key to enter the vehicle probably twice in 9 years.

Second, i'm going to install an immobilizer that disables the starter motor. Yes, they could pop the hood and bridge the starter solenoid, but realistically that's not going to happen as they will probably just leave after the alarm goes off, nor they are gonna spend time trying to understand what's going on with the car or why it doesn't start.

The main objective is avoiding them to start the vehicle and leave. Avoiding an intrusion is impossible, as they can pop the door lock and turn it or just break a window, and any other thing like a steering wheel club can be defeated in seconds.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento SX AWD
1,814 Posts
The standard stuff preventing stealing keeps the honest thief from steeling your ride. Leave the door open and keys in it and they're good. But the more professional type will have figured out how to get in, start the vehicle etc. Each layer you add slows them down and the Club is only another level, cutting the wheel if equipped and its still gone. Its dependent on the person and how determined they are. Pro's likely scan in advance the ride and know where it is and pick their time. Not random, so they're prepared.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
288 Posts
yeah, visual deterrent is better than nothing. If thief is determined to steal something, anything can be stolen! Making the thief work extra hard to saw it off may just cause the thief to move on to another super easier to steal Kia! ;)

For me, I figured that if my car is stolen, I’d either get it back or insurance would cover it. If I do get it back, I don’t want a damaged steering wheel… hopefully my push bottom car is known to be a bit harder to steal?

How can I check if there is immobilizer in my 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport? It has key, not Push-to-Start button. Thank you.
I don’t know for sure, but my understanding is that only push button ones have immobilizes.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Sorento SX XLINE Glacial White Pearl
107 Posts
How about Hyundia and Kia do the right thing and install the immobilizers like they should of. They already took out features in the US version of the Sorrento for what ever reason........ making money to now this. But they wait until the lawsuits cost them more than they are willing to bear to come up with a resolution.

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,525 Posts
How about Hyundia and Kia do the right thing and install the immobilizers like they should of. They already took out features in the US version of the Sorrento for what ever reason........ making money to now this. But they wait until the lawsuits cost them more than they are willing to bear to come up with a resolution.
What are you suggesting, that they retrofit all the vehicles, or install them in all new models?

Highly unlikely that a law suit will get anywhere with this subject.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts