Kia Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
299 Posts
Why would Kia recall the locks? An ignition lock isn't an indestructible device, it's a DETERRENT. It won't stop determined thieves that want the car. Even high end manufacturers like Mercedes have their cars stolen every year, no lock or system is foolproof.

The articles don't go into depth either about how these thieves are using a USB cable to steal cars. I'd be interested to see if they are using the ends to turn the ignition switch after the lock cylinder is torn out, or if they are using it to access the engine computer to start the cars (although I'd think if they were smart enough to do that they wouldn't be stealing Kias...).

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul
12 Posts
Why would Kia recall the locks? An ignition lock isn't an indestructible device, it's a DETERRENT. It won't stop determined thieves that want the car. Even high end manufacturers like Mercedes have their cars stolen every year, no lock or system is foolproof.

The articles don't go into depth either about how these thieves are using a USB cable to steal cars. I'd be interested to see if they are using the ends to turn the ignition switch after the lock cylinder is torn out, or if they are using it to access the engine computer to start the cars (although I'd think if they were smart enough to do that they wouldn't be stealing Kias...).
Why would you respond in such a condescending and obnoxious way without bothering to investigate this at all? If you know all about this and disagree, you might choose to be nasty. But you admitted you were 100% clueless about this.

It looks like the Kia locks are easy to pry off in seconds, and then a USB cable fits right into the opening and can easily crank the car. Once you know you can do this, these ignition locks offer NO DETERRENCE.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
299 Posts
Why would you respond in such a condescending and obnoxious way without bothering to investigate this at all? If you know all about this and disagree, you might choose to be nasty. But you admitted you were 100% clueless about this.

It looks like the Kia locks are easy to pry off in seconds, and then a USB cable fits right into the opening and can easily crank the car. Once you know you can do this, these ignition locks offer NO DETERRENCE.
A manufacturer has to balance cost against anticipated use and/or loss. Kia could design a much stronger lock but that will cost more money. Would you buy a Soul that had a much stronger lock, but added $1000 to the price of the car? How about $2000?

The bean counters get to tell the engineers how much they can spend on a particular component. Locks for low end Kias and Hyundais ain't gonna be a real high priority on the budget list.

The locks are a deterrent but like I said, a determined thief will find a way around it. That isn't Kia's fault nor should they be 'making it right', they haven't done anything wrong in this instance. If you want a more secure car then spend the coin on something with better anti theft features or an immobilizer. Still won't keep your car from being stolen but it'll take more time.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul
12 Posts
A manufacturer has to balance cost against anticipated use and/or loss. Kia could design a much stronger lock but that will cost more money. Would you buy a Soul that had a much stronger lock, but added $1000 to the price of the car? How about $2000?

The bean counters get to tell the engineers how much they can spend on a particular component. Locks for low end Kias and Hyundais ain't gonna be a real high priority on the budget list.

The locks are a deterrent but like I said, a determined thief will find a way around it. That isn't Kia's fault nor should they be 'making it right', they haven't done anything wrong in this instance. If you want a more secure car then spend the coin on something with better anti theft features or an immobilizer. Still won't keep your car from being stolen but it'll take more time.
There are plenty of cheap cars, but two-thirds of the ones being stolen are Kias and Hyundais because of the garbage lock.

I wouldn't begin to know how to hotwire most cars. But now I know how to pop the cover off these and turn them with a USB cable.

No, I wouldn't pay $1000 or $2000 more for a $3 chip to fit into the empty space in my fob (that is made to hold a chip and doesn't have one) and $10 for a receiver for it. But I'd pay $50 more. Did you have a specific $2000 locking mechanism in mind, or are you just continuing to troll?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not sure why you say they aren't doing anything. Right in the article is a link to another one:

Do you mean you want them to give those items to existing owners?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul
12 Posts
I'm not sure why you say they aren't doing anything. Right in the article is a link to another one:

Do you mean you want them to give those items to existing owners?
Right in that article, there are links to the entire internet. That's how web pages work. Great that you figured that out. I already knew.

Now that there is an identified problem with substandard locking on these vehicles, Kia should fix it by recalling the cars and adding industry-standard (or above) locking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Right in that article, there are links to the entire internet. That's how web pages work. Great that you figured that out. I already knew.

Now that there is an identified problem with substandard locking on these vehicles, Kia should fix it by recalling the cars and adding industry-standard (or above) locking.
Also
Why would you respond in such a condescending and obnoxious way...
Anyway...from your wording, I took it to mean they weren't doing anything for those affected, but clearly they are, and changing things going forward. It seems you would be happy namely with a recall, which I understand. I'm sure that'll probably not happen, though. I'd be curious to know if a lawsuit actually is put forth.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul
12 Posts
Also

Anyway...from your wording, I took it to mean they weren't doing anything for those affected, but clearly they are, and changing things going forward. It seems you would be happy namely with a recall, which I understand. I'm sure that'll probably not happen, though. I'd be curious to know if a lawsuit actually is put forth.
Anyone with a Kia that doesn't have a chip in their FOB is affected. Which a lot of the US cars.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
299 Posts

You should get right on that and start a grassroots movement to get it done being that it's such a thorn in your side.

Also please share your info on this 'industry standard locking' you're referring too.

There's definitely a troll here but it ain't me...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul
12 Posts
lol @ Trackerrrr

"Peoples, Read the forum rules before you post. If your post gets locked because you can't follow simple rules then don't go off stomping your feet and bitching about it. The rules here are pretty much standard for all forums across the interwebs... Chris"

OK -- I get it. You're Trolling hoping to work people up.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento SX AWD
1,814 Posts
Most any vehicle is easy to steal. Its purely if they really want yours. Its gone if so no matter what. A club and/or keeping it in the garage minimizes it being stolen but. If they want it. It'll be gone as well.

Reactions: ron1004

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX
73 Posts
I have to admit, if mine was stolen and never found, I would be at a loss to replace it for the $. I wouldn't buy a newer Sorento due to no v6 available anymore, the Telluride is too big for our needs. We would likely just look for another low mileage Sorento or Sante Fe with the 3.3 .

·
Registered
2014 & 2016 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L V6 AWD
18 Posts
Does anyone know of US national law suit against KIA-Hyundai? If it is known they are easy to steal, hidden kill switch may prevent theft, but they still trash the car getting in. BUT if KIA comes up with a FIX, it becomes known NOT easy to steal and many move on. This increases your safety and your car's value. You are car shopping, car A is easy to steal, car B is not...which do you buy? I'd buy B, and if others do, value of A sinks. How about reporting this as a defect to NTHSA? Also call KIA to complain and ask for a fix. (There are efforts for Snow White Pearl paint issues also). Please get involved. Strength in numbers. 1)File complaint with NHTSA. 2) Call KIA and ask for a fix. OR file complain online with KIA. IF anyone gets results, finds nationwide law suit, share it here...THANK YOU.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento L 2WD
2 Posts
This doesn't surprise me at all. I bet if someone were to dig a bit deeper into the theft data, they would find that it is mostly the models that have a regular keyed ignition rather than the push-button start system. The reason is, on the US models with the regular keyed ignition, our Kia's and Hyundai's DO NOT have immobilizers with a chipped key. Apparently, Kia's and Hyundai's built for the Canadian market do get the immobilizer with a regular keyed ignition. I just find this very odd that Kia and Hyundai would cheapen out on that since immobilizer systems have been in place on some cars for decades. I found all of this out when talking to a very reputable locksmith about getting a regular key (without the keyless entry fob) cut for my 2017 Sorento. So all the thief has to do is break out the ignition lock cylinder and start the car.
The videos I watched today said they could use the same usb method on push start Kia’s too. It’s behind the start button. Maybe I got the wrong information but I just bought a steering lock

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento L 2WD
2 Posts
Here in milwaukee it is still very very common.
"Only stupid kids steal cars for joyrides and those days are pretty much over."
Yes. I just watched a few videos on the Kia Boys today stealing them and just racing down streets crashing them to get followers on YouTube.

·
Registered
18 Posts
KIA chose to sell vehicles in the US without the anti theft transponders they put in vehicles sold in Canada. KIA made a choice and the whole FOB and pretending dealers do about elaborate programming of a device only needed to unlock the car is wrong. KIA should recall these and install the same equipment Canadian KIAs have. Contact KIA online or by phone to complain. Report vehicle defect to NHTSA, 1800+ already have. Strength in numbers! Yes all makes of cars are stolen but when word is out on these being easier due to no antitheft transponder makes them an easy target. Also tgese links & articless note things like "first 100 to show up get free steering wheel lock.." this is not a blanket give away. But even if that was KIA's solution, give every owner a Club it would be a fix. I have contacted KIA & NTHSA online & will post any answer.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX 3.3L V6 AWD, 2012 Soul !
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
And now courtesy of TIK TOK, what (mostly) started here in Milwaukee is spreading across the nation. Watch your cars, kiddies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Spoke to KIA.(Easy way to contact them: 1) use website to get Case ID. 2)Wait 24-48 hrs & call 800-833-4542. follow prompts and enter Case ID. If wait is more than 5 min, they will call you back.). KIA's stance is: The vehicle complies with Federal Requirements when it was manufactured. KIA does NOT have a plan to install transponder anti theft devices or do anything at this time to address it. VOTE!!! 1) Tell KIA how you feel. 2)Vote with your $$ and feet..do NOT buy another KIA or Hyundai. For the record I had great customer service, even after warranty with Chrysler (pre-FCA), and will go back. Had a bad CS experience with FORD in 1990 and like Kia/Hyundai...not going back. An attorney in Missouri/Kansas filed a lawsuit recently, but I do not know if it is for his clients in the Kansas City area or if it will be a nation wide one. Any lawyers own Hyundai or KIA vehicles??? Feel like starting a class action lawsuit???

61 - 80 of 106 Posts