Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2005 Kia Cerato LD [2L petrol] manual, 1986 Nissan Pulsar hatch
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Came across this TSB regarding popping noise on shifting gear on 2010 2L manuals with no cruise control fitted. and reprograming of ECM to fix it on www.kiatechinfo.com and thought it may be of intrest to some Forte forum members.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)
2,878 Posts
Thanks, this issue has been affecting my car for a while now, there is finally a fix; taking my car tomorrow.
Are there allot of 2.0L 5spd sticks without cruise out there? That is what this ECM reprogramming posted fix is for. Was my impression the stick cars were having a wide spread mechanical shifting issue. And a few also had the intake blow back at times. This fix is for the intake popping on 2.0L stick non cruise cars. And not the 2.0L auto trans cars that have a hiccup in shifting at times 1-2 or 3-2? And not sure really how many of those are non cruise cars.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Australia we only get the 2L not the 2.4 but all cars here get the cruise control as standard fitment. In the US and Canada it seems to me like there are more lower spec base cars available.

·
Registered
Kia Forte EX 2010
8 Posts
Came across this TSB regarding popping noise on shifting gear on 2010 2L manuals with no cruise control fitted. and reprograming of ECM to fix it on www.kiatechinfo.com and thought it may be of intrest to some Forte forum members.
I purchased my Forte EX 5 speed manual transmission with cruise control in July 2009. From the get go, I experienced a problem with the shifting from 1-2 mostly, but it also happens from 2-3. No smooth shifting for me. I've always driven stick shift cars, so I know the problem is NOT behind the wheel. I reported the issue to my dealer who told me it was not a transmission problem but rather a computer problem. Said it might get better with time and with more mileage on (it has about 6000 km now). In January I took it in for a reprogramming and it got WORSE, so I asked that the original programming be put back. Which helped, but the problem is still very much there.

I love my car with all its features and great looks, but my driving experience is very disappointing. I do a lot of city driving so I have to shift all the time. I've read a lot of comments on many forums and the issue was not mentioned that many times. I asked my dealer to replace the computer since it's not ALL the Forte EX five speed manual that have the problem, insisting that it means that if SOME cars don't have the problem, all computers are not identical, but the mechanic said they don't do that and it wouldn’t fix the problem. I still don't get it but hey, I'm no mechanic, right? So I have owned my car for 7 months now, going on one year, and I'm afraid, since not many owners have the problem, that the company is not getting enough pressure to fix it. I understand that my dealer can do so much and has to wait for the company to find a solution. I'm wondering what I could do to speed things up. Would writing to the company help?

Anyone else has the same problem?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Honestly, the service actions fixed my problem. However, my problem was so infrequent that it couldn't be replicated which leads me to believe that yours is a different issue altogether. Just keep the pressure on the dealer. I'm sure your issue will be resolved.

I couldn't shift as smoothly at first in the EX, but I've had that with any different manual shifter. I got used to it very quickly, and I doubt that you're the problem. Especially after 7 months.

·
Registered
Kia Forte EX 2010
8 Posts
What happens is, it's like there's not enough gas that is injected (I'm sorry, I don't really know how to explain it in English - believe me, I had a hard time trying to explain it in French too!) and therefore there's a kind of hiccup when I shift. I think the RPM is too low. Also, some times. the car will barely start, it's like I should press de gas pedal to get it going. That is a relatively new but persistant problem. I believe it's all related.

Anyway, like you said, I'll keep asking my dealer to find a solution. Thanks for your reply.

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your problem would not be the same as the one in the TSB ,it only covers cars without cruise fitted, but just keep pressure on the dealer or even contact KIA Canada directly with the problem and see what they say. I agree when you say all ECMs are not the same and yours may be faulty and reprogramming won't help if it is.

·
Registered
Kia Forte EX 2010
8 Posts
The thing that I don't understand with this particular TSB is, aren't all Forte EX equipped with the cruise control feature? I don't recall having to choose whether I wanted it or not... So why is there a TSB especially for cars fitted without it?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
The thing that I don't understand with this particular TSB is, aren't all Forte EX equipped with the cruise control feature? I don't recall having to choose whether I wanted it or not... So why is there a TSB especially for cars fitted without it?
Yes, that gets back to my original post and question. How many NON-Cruise cars are out there with 2.0L and stick?

USA NA market sales brochure tells you this.
LX Trim Sedan only no Koup version Cruise NA at all and could have 5spd stick with 2.0L
EX Trim Sedan/Koup versions Cruise standard and has 2.0L and could have 5spd stick.
SX Trim Sedan/Koup versions Cruise standard 2.4L as well could have 6 spd stick.

So only a LX Sedan 2.0L Stick No A/C No P/W No P/L-Keyless could this TSB apply to. And never to a Koup. You want all that stuff to make a BASIC car we all have come to know and need (some demand) to drive and you bought a EX anyway and this is moot.

·
Registered
Forte Sedan LX, 07 Suzuki SV1000, 97 Toyota Camry, 88 Dodge Dakota
9 Posts
I have an LX sedan 2.0L with no A/C, no P/W, no P/L and no cruise because that is exactly what I wanted in a car. So I know there is at least one out there. Thanks for the heads up and I'll be contacting my dealer about this on Monday.

EDIT:Hahaha My Bad!! reading comprehension failed me there for a minute.

·
Registered
Kia Forte EX 2010
8 Posts
From what you're saying, I gather that USA and Canada don't sell the same cars because here in Canada, we can't get a Forte without power windows and power locks, even without ABS, it's standard on all vehicules. If you want A/C and you drive automatic, you can add it to the basic model (LX). But if you drive manual and you want A/C, then you have to buy an EX, and that comes with all sorts of other features (cruise control, electronic stability control, traction control system, etc.). And here also, the LX and EX come with the 2.0L engine, the 2.4L is only for to the SX version.

In any case, I understand better why there's a TSB for EX cars with no cruise control. Thanks.

Just one question : are all those versions (LX, EX, SX) available in the US ?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I have an EX sedan 2.0L with no A/C, no P/W, no P/L and no cruise because that is exactly what I wanted in a car. So I know there is at least one out there. Thanks for the heads up and I'll be contacting my dealer about this on Monday.
WOW either you paid out the nose for nothing ON a EX with a Base MSRP of $15,995 when a LX has a Base MSRP of $13,695. :haha: Or as I suppect you or someone else up there in NY played the badge game to someones misfortune. Jury still out whom's messed up more. Or we can assume you have a commuter special LX like your profile told us. If not see if that dealer has a 2.0L 5spd no A/C,no P/W,no P/L and no cruise 15 inch with hubcaps SX Koup too. :p

Or yes never said there were none. Just how many and 10 (yours and 9 others) in the country is not alot for this TSB to be worth much.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2015
2 Posts
WOW either you paid out the nose for nothing ON a EX with a Base MSRP of $15,995 when a LX has a Base MSRP of $13,695. >:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts