309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Engine 2013MY Sorento (XM)
w/2.4L GDI
NUMBER DATE
122-August 2012
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
SERVICE ACTION: ECM UPGRADE –
2.4L GDI IDLE RPM STABILITY IMPROVEMENT (SA128)
This bulletin provides information related to the ECM software upgrade of some 2013MY
Sorento 2.4L GDI vehicles produced from March 6, 2012 to August 6, 2012 to improve
idle RPM stability while at a stop with A/C ON. It is important to note that the 2.4L GDI
engine has a certain level of harmonic vibration while at low idle RPM’s which is a normal
characteristic of this engine design. For confirmation that the latest reflash has been done
to a vehicle you are working on, verify ROM ID using the tables in this TSB. To ensure
maximum customer satisfaction, Kia is requesting the completion of this Service Action on
all affected 2013 Sorento vehicles.

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
I had mine..

I had mine done today when I took it in for an oil change. Seem to smooth things out.

Engine 2013MY Sorento (XM)
w/2.4L GDI
NUMBER DATE
122-August 2012
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
SERVICE ACTION: ECM UPGRADE –
2.4L GDI IDLE RPM STABILITY IMPROVEMENT (SA128)
This bulletin provides information related to the ECM software upgrade of some 2013MY
Sorento 2.4L GDI vehicles produced from March 6, 2012 to August 6, 2012 to improve
idle RPM stability while at a stop with A/C ON. It is important to note that the 2.4L GDI
engine has a certain level of harmonic vibration while at low idle RPM’s which is a normal
characteristic of this engine design. For confirmation that the latest reflash has been done
to a vehicle you are working on, verify ROM ID using the tables in this TSB. To ensure
maximum customer satisfaction, Kia is requesting the completion of this Service Action on
all affected 2013 Sorento vehicles.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX V6 2WD Titanium/B&D leather
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the rough idling '12's are not covered.
From the aforementioned TSB:
It is important to note that the 2.4L GDI
characteristic of this engine design.
It would appear so.:mad:

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
766 Posts
Most cars are rougher at lower RPMs. That's the nature of momentum and ... yada, yada, yada. Most likely, the main thing the TSB does is to increase the minimum RPM so that it is less noticeable when under more load. It may do other things with air/fuel mixture of alternator output...who knows...

Some cars do not have an adjustable idle. However, with the onboard computers reprogramming the idle RPMs is probably what most car manufacturers do these days...instead of fiddling with carburetor adjustments...d'oh!

If those that have not had the TSB done yet can post their RPMs in different scenarios, we can compare the before and after RPMs with those that have had the TSB done:
  • The RPMs when in park
  • In park with AC on MAX
  • In drive but stopped and with foot on brake
  • In drive but stopped and with foot on brake and AC on MAX
Did I miss any?

·
Registered
2013 LX GDI AWD
40 Posts
I had mine done 2 days ago, much much smoother idling in drive with max a/c....also have noticed a possible increase in gas mileage?!? On my same routes I've been getting an extra 2 mpg average so far (i've driven a full tank since the upgrade)

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX GDI (AWD)
21 Posts
I am really glad to read this posting. I really appreciate OP sharing the good info.
I called to a nearby dealer but the service dept. staff didn't know about this technical issue.

Did you who got the service recently just brought your Sorento to any dealer shop or made it sure before going to the dealer?

I will try it very soon but I am concerning of "waste of time" since service staff said "What is it? I don't know about the issue..." :(

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am really glad to read this posting. I really appreciate OP sharing the good info.
I called to a nearby dealer but the service dept. staff didn't know about this technical issue.

Did you who got the service recently just brought your Sorento to any dealer shop or made it sure before going to the dealer?

I will try it very soon but I am concerning of "waste of time" since service staff said "What is it? I don't know about the issue..." :(
Welcome....Tell them you want "TSB #122".You should check the date of manufacture (plate on driver side doorjamb),as you must meet the stated range of affected units.:00000732:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dear enmoco,

Thanks a lot for your help! I will schedule a service sometime next week and share the results here for others.

Thanks again and have a great weekend! :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dear enmoco,

Thanks a lot for your help! I will schedule a service sometime next week and share the results here for others.

Thanks again and have a great weekend! :)
Thanks and best wishes.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
In mfg. date range, but TSB not applicable

I took my 2012 to the dealer yesterday for a door handle repair and to see if the rough idle TSB applies and they had just done the TSB on another Sorento, but said my VIN did not need it. Mfg date was Apr 6, 2012. I really did not have a complaint about rough idle to begin with, although my Sorento does idler a just a bit rougher with AC and brake on compared to my Sonata with the same engine. I think it is due to the power steering pump, whereas my Sonata has an electric pump.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda6 2013 Sorento EX Pearl White GDI Premium Package
13 Posts
I called my dealer and they said that they can't find this TSB in their system. However I have the 2012 ex 2.4GDI manufactured aug 3rd 2012 any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you register at https://www.kiatechinfo.com, you can get the "official" TSB regarding the service. The OP got the info from there and attached it in hear.

I contacted KIA and heard that the service is very official from August 10, so every dealer "MUST" provide the service at no charge.

I will schedule and get the service done coming week. I will update the result in detail.

PS: The funny thing is that only Internet Explorer allows to register you in the above website. Using other browsers, you can't confirm the registration since the policy agreement can't be confirmed. There are tons of good info regarding all type of Kia vehicles though.

The vehicles affected by this TSB were made between March 6, 2012 and August 6, 2012. (2013 GDI model)

·
Registered
21 Posts
OMG!!!

Every Sorento owner (2013 GDI) MUST get this service.
As promised, I am sharing about ECM reprogramming service and experience.

It didn't take long but only 30 min + paper works.

Not only all rough idles are gone but also overall performances are improved.

This is a MUST!
I feel that there would be improvements on gas mileage since the gear shift timing is also optimized.
A subpower issue with GDI engine is improved well.

Happy Sorento owner! :)

·
Registered
Corolla 1996, Corolla 2009, Soon Sorento
36 Posts
Those of you who had the TSB reprogramming done, please report your feedback if you have seen improvement in fuel economy and performance

thanks

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Those of you who had the TSB reprogramming done, please report your feedback if you have seen improvement in fuel economy and performance

thanks
The forums are full of these threads. The fix appears to provide both. Try using the search function. :)

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX
8 Posts
ECM reprogrammed more fixes needed

I had my 2013 Sorrento ECM reprogrammed due to the rough idle 4 weeks ago. The idle is better but not perfect. The tech wasn't satisfied with the idle after the ECM upgrade. He ordered a new alternator and pulley. Some of the parts are on national backorder and they haven't arrived yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Purchased new 2013 sorento ex on 9/24/2012. Next day, I went to service department for vibrate/rough idle. After 4 days of eval, they still could not identify the root cause. They told me that ECM software upgrade is alraedy done by manufacture and KIA is aware of rough idle issue. I like to know if anyone resolved their rough idle issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts