Kia Forum banner

Kia TOD issues

20K views 39 replies 5 participants last post by  gee6 
#1 ·
2004 Kia Sorento automatic with TOD transfer case.
History is this. I bought one year again. Transfer case has 165000 miles on it. It was never serviced or worked on. I bought cheap because transfer case was clunking at take off and up to 35 mph. Removed tccs fuse and no more clunking. We drove for a year. Probably 7000 miles or less.
Last week I pulled apart transfer case and cleaned thoroughly. Replaced the clutch pack. Chain. Driven sprocket. Seals. And reinstalled in the Kia and filled with proper fluid. Installed a new 20 amp fuse for the tccs and unhooked battery for a few minutes. Hooked battery back up and started and warmed vehicle up for a test drive.
No more clunking. But also no 4wd and no 4 wheel low. I’ve tried proper procedure for 4 wheel low and tried a few other ways from other vehicles. Nothing.
My Matco Tablet says it cannot connect to the tccm. I have tried through the obd2 and the engine compartment test port. Both fail to connect.
I have tried a few more new fuses. I have unhooked the tccm a few times and the terminals are very clean and all looks okay. I have traced as much of the wiring as I can see without removing much of anything. All looks fine. I have not however checked for power anywhere yet.
I do get the lights in the dash when key is first turned on. No blinking. Just on for a few seconds. I do not get the lights if the tccm is unplugged.

I have no codes in any other module. So that should rule out that part. The speed sensors show equal speeds as they should. The speedometer works fine. And everything else in the vehicle seems to work the way it always has. No ghost issues that I know of.

Is there a relay behind the glove box on this model ? I’m thinking if there is it may be stuck from no use for slightly over a year ? If there isn’t a relay what are some other options other then a possible bad wire or bad tccm ? Does power go through switch before the tccm ? I figured surely the computer would communicate with tccm even if switch was bad. So o figure the switch isn’t my problem.

Any ideas ?

See less See more
#2 ·
2004 Kia Sorento automatic with TOD transfer case.
Is there a relay behind the glove box on this model ?
Does power go through switch before the tccm ?
Any ideas ?
Don't think so (at least not that would affect this)

No. The TCCS fuse (#13) sends power over 2 lines to the TCCM

Not really, apart from the obvious (checking power). Have you checked the connector at the TCCM module is good?

#3 ·
I haven’t checked power yet but plan to.
Should just be power on two wires going in one one plug or power on each plug?

The module is mounted pointing upwards beside center console basically. I pulled both connectors and they look clean. Very shiney and dry. Doesn’t appear to have water up that high. I however did have water in the floor pan that I am letting dry out over the weekend. But the tccm is above were the water is since its mounted up on the side.

I’m hoping it’s something simple now that the transfer case has all new parts that control the 4wd part.

Scanner should communicate with the module if the module has power correct ? If not faulty module ?

#4 ·
How about water round the ECU? If it is in the floorpan that is a possibility (passenger side floor, under carpet, under protector plate). Not sure about scanner communication with TCCM. That would depend on the scanner and software. Not all aftermarket scanners have that capability and may be restricted to proprietry Kia stuff over Kia diagnostics port.
The blinking 4wd lamp is, I think, reserved for EST (ie non-TOD) boxes, so would not apply here. Otherwise, here is a list of error codes attached. I think these should be available via ECU and OBDII readers.

Attachments

#5 ·
I get no codes with the new Matco scanner nor with the snap on Solus pro. The snap on doesn’t even have the tod option on it like the Matco does.

The ecu seems dry. However I know the water has been on and or around it and I had a ecu code for spark adjust. I cleaned the ecu area and connectors and got the code cleared. The connectors there though also looked nice and clean and the contacts were not corroded or anything. No real amount of grease on them though either.

The lights just come on when key is turned on like the rear of the lights. So I know the module is putting some kind of signal out. Because when it’s unplugged it and those lights did not appear.

I’ve got several other issues I need to repair on this rig. But I want to see that the 4wd is going to work before putting any more money into it.

#7 ·
It has me totally stumped also. In the morning I will do some power checks and make sure what I have there. I know the auto 4wd was working before because I had the clunking noise from the transfer case and removing the fuse solved that. But now a year later it seems as if the tccm doesn’t want to power up possibly. Or I was hoping for a relay that may have just gotten stuck.

#9 ·
The only thing I remember is 'yellow'! There are a lot of yellow wires involved. iirc the 2 wires from the fuse #13 to the tccm are yellow (I know they were labelled 'memory' on the schematics. Then the wire (?) to the electro-magnetic clutch (ecm) were also yellow. Unfortunately I don't have the schematics (or if I do they are buried somewhere). I know the signal to the ecm is variable voltage determined by the differential of the front and rear shaft speed sensors (hence controlling the amount of engagement and torque transfer to front wheels).

With a big leap (faith/intuition/whatever) if you can identify the 2 connectors on the tccm and see separate yellow wires on each we may get somewhere :) I am guessing wires to the supply side and control to the ecm might be on different harnesses/connectors. If you can identify the ecm connector and disconnect that, leaving the memory supply in place, that should generate a code I would have thought. Or pull the harness connector off the transfer case ecm to leave open circuits.

#11 ·
Okay. I got way further today.
I got the 4 wheel low working. Well. 2 wheel low at this point. So I believe switch. And tccm is okay. I show to have power to the orange wiring going to the clutch. I have not checked the amount of voltage though. But I know from my test light that it’s lowe voltage from the light output.
I cleaned the electromagnetic clutch in a parts cleaner when I had case apart. Will that kill them ? Or could it possibly just be slipping ?

#13 ·
It was brand new and super clean. I didn’t brake clean it or anything. Just wipes down with clean hands and soaked for 30 minutes in the fluid I used in transfer case.

It was the GM fluid for there transfer cases with clutch packs. I will have to look at the exact name of it.

#16 · (Edited)
The usual options we advise (UK) are genuine kia oem fluid (There is a part no in the tc rebuild TSB ) or Dexron III PLUS FRICTION MODIFIER. From my brief research it would appear that auto trak 2 has a friction modifier included, so will probably be ok. (usual disclaimers apply).

The thing NOT to do is use standard Dexron III on it's own in a TOD box. It's OK for the non-tod versions, but death to a tod box eventually. Also, change every 20k miles. Kia changed the oil spec and change intervals after boxes started failing. (around 2005 I think)

#17 ·
Yeah. I did some research and actually found were Kia in United States was recommending the auto trak 2. I’m not sure what ford recommends for the 4405 transfer case that uses the same clutch pak.
I believe the problem may be that I’m expecting it to engage right away but I have read it doesn’t engage until 4mph

#18 ·
I have read it doesn’t engage until 4mph
I don't think that is correct. From my experience (on ice) the torque will transfer before forward motion commences if there is slip at the rear wheels. Essentially if there is no slip, there will be no engagement. There are several factors that govern engagement, but slip is primary.

#20 ·
When in 4Low, the transfer case is effectively locked in 50/50 front/rear drive. In order to achieve that there must be a voltage on the ecm. Full voltage in fact, since that is maximum engagement.

(Unlike the EST [non-TOD] version there is no dog-clutch)

#23 ·
Did you fix the 4WD/TOD issue?

I'm having a very similar issue to the one you have described and I'm hoping you found a solution?

So far I have:

• Replaced the clutch pack according to TSB-022
  • Replaced the TOD PNL ASSY - (thinking maybe bad switch)

Considering replacing the Electronic Transfer Control Unit next...

Any information about how you solved the problem would be much appreciated!

#27 ·
First, have you checked underneath for shaft between transfer case and front axle?
Second, have you checked fuse 13 ('TCCS') driver's footwell fuse box, is intact and functional (use a continuity tester on fuse)?
If the vehicle has had problem with transfer box then one or both of above may have been removed to hide it.

#28 ·
Bonjour Gee6 thanks for your help,

Yesturday i have checked underneath and all seems ok, front axle, shaft and trasfert box are here.
Fuse 13 is ok not burn and the test of continuity is ok

I put dexron 3 + to drain the transfer
Maybe the current oil has no friction
the error of traction green message may be due to a sensor, ecu?
can it be possible to verify them?

thanks you!

#29 ·
If you have a TOD transfer case, Dexron 3 is the wrong oil. You need proper Kia Transfer case oil or add a small bottle of friction modifier to the dexron 3. (Kia changed the oil spec years ago.) Not certain from your post which transfer case you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.