Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio SX Navi 2013
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From: Kia to offer limited edition 2013 Rio 5-Door SX with manual gearbox

Up until now, if you wanted the top-of-the-line version of the Kia Rio 5-Door, you could only get it with the six-speed automatic transmission. But now, Kia has now announced a limited run of six-speed manual-equipped hatchbacks.

That means that Rio 5-Door buyers no longer have to decide between a row-your-own gearbox and features like the UVO infotainment system, backup camera and Bluetooth hands-free calling. You can have all these features, plus the manual gearbox for an MSRP of $20,484.

According to Kia, the combination of range-topping trim and manual transmission provides a "more engaging drive experience without sacrificing the comfort and convenience offered by the subcompact model's highest trim level."

The idea for the Rio SX M/T (manual transmission) was apparently inspired by Kia's B-Spec race car, which has been competing in the Grand-Am race series. Only 500 examples of the SX M/T will be sold for the 2013 model year.

News Source: Kia

Image Credit: Copyright 2012 Michael Harley / AOL / Kia

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
US has only the bottom line LX with MT and it doesnt come with any options. All others have auto. So I had to go with the LX. I wish we would have gotten more options here in the States.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 & 2009 Rav4 Sport V6
104 Posts
I wish I was able to get mine in manual. Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my family that prefers manual over auto...well, actually, I'm the only one who can drive manual at home.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Yep, manual in the Kia is set up very well and one of the best. Its mated well with the engine. Ive driven a few and found the Kia's one has been the best, if I could get it in my other car I would probably drive it more.

If you have never driven manual though, a good car to learn with is the Honda Civic (an 08 one). Great for beginners as its spring loaded shifting. As boring as the car is to drive, its manual is great platform to learn.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 & 2009 Rav4 Sport V6
104 Posts
I learned on a 1987 Dodge Colt or something like that. It was hard to drive, but my friend told me if I could master that, then I can drive anything...haha.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SX 5 dr
5 Posts
When i first read this on Autoblog the other day i literally cussed out loud. If I could have just waited a few more months to get one, I could have gotten a manual. That is the one option that I really wanted and couldn’t have.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
if they only combined the options available in US/CA and AU then we could have all had great cars

you guys want our three doors, clear headlight surrounds and manuals

we want your better stereo/rev camera, wider trim colour options and little gadgets they neglected here (voice control/heated seats/wheel)

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
The 6 speed manual in the Rio is the best manual gearbox i've ever used.

wow, you don't get out much, do ya? :p

i love my kia more then the next guy, hell, more then most, but let's not forget it is an economy car through and through. it is great for what it is, but clearly it is not a sports car with a connected feel. the shifter was one of the few things i liked about the mazda 2 over the rio.

that being said, if i can get the proper race classing for 2013, i intend on prepping and competing with my rio. till then, it will be just a beater commuter.

when the man sx shows up, i will go look at one. wifey likes a sunroof, and i like the 6spd, so we may have to trade up the lx...

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
wow, you don't get out much, do ya? :p

i love my kia more then the next guy, hell, more then most, but let's not forget it is an economy car through and through. it is great for what it is, but clearly it is not a sports car with a connected feel. the shifter was one of the few things i liked about the mazda 2 over the rio.

that being said, if i can get the proper race classing for 2013, i intend on prepping and competing with my rio. till then, it will be just a beater commuter.

when the man sx shows up, i will go look at one. wifey likes a sunroof, and i like the 6spd, so we may have to trade up the lx...
that's nice.

I never once said it was a sports car. However it does have a connected feel via the gearbox. The steering, no.

I don't see what this has to do with me saying it's the best manual i've ever used. I drove the mazda 2 and found the manual agricultural and boring. Out of the 5 manuals i've owned before, none were a 6M. I've driven a few 6M's in other brands/models and none felt as good as this does. The other 11 cars i've owned have been big auto v8's & I6's.

Being a 3 door with all the kit, the oz-spec SLS has a more sporty ambience to it and i'll say it again, the gearbox is great. It has a very connected feel to me, it is short shifting, rarely ever complains and has only not gone into reverse on the first shot once.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
I never once said it was a sports car. However it does have a connected feel via the gearbox. The steering, no.
guess we are worlds apart.

i find the steering to be fairly quick, responsive and with decent feel considering the 185/65-15 all seasons that are on it. steering and brakes are my favorite parts of the car.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
the steering on our Oz spec Rio's has the least feel i've ever experienced in a car other than a Mitsubishi Magna (google it if you want). It's direct for sure, but provides very little feel/feedback. That's on the 205/45's of the SLS. Ours could possibly be configured differently to yours, along with the suspension, who knows. Then again not many EPS setups do give proper feel.

the brakes are great.

it's a fantastic little car and puts many others to shame, 8.8 to 100KM/h (62mph) is pretty slick for what it is. The darty rear end is still a concern but i'll deal with that later.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
I remember taking a 1.4 6spd for a test drive not long after they came out...
I liked my old '07 1.4 5spd box rather than the '11 6spd.
That, and the electric PS was scary and unstable. Was literally bouncing/jumping all over a smooth country road doing 80. Limit was 100. I slowed down to 60, I was that scared. :/

And to confirm, I drove my 1.2tonne Rio to the dealership. Not the 2.5tonne Sorento. :p

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
i think you might have driven a lemon mate lol - i certainly wouldn't call the steering scary and unstable, in fact due to the extra weight of the steering tune it's solid as a rock unless you hit bad corrugation

the 1.4 manual is a p.o.s. we drove one of them many months before driving the 1.6 manual. Different worlds when dialled into the 1.6

not everyone is going to agree with one another though

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
i think you might have driven a lemon mate lol - i certainly wouldn't call the steering scary and unstable, in fact due to the extra weight of the steering tune it's solid as a rock unless you hit bad corrugation
On saying this, the steering did seem to sort itself out, eventually.
I was by myself on a 5km test drive (dealer knew me well, so I got to be alone on my p's :p) and on the last 1km or so it was fine. Perhaps it needed self-calibrating or something?... Although I seem to remember it had something like 60k's on it already!

On the gearbox thing, I'm yet to drive the 1.6.
Maybe one day, when I'm not busy and around the local dealership...
Oh, and if they have any in stock! :p
They're always sold out!

·
Registered
'12 Rio5 SX, '04 Nissan Armada, '99 ZX-7R, '12 Z1000
100 Posts
NOW the sx in a M/T!
:mad:
smh.

that"s ALL i wanted to make my lil rio5 complete, but noooooo, it wasn't offered then.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts