Kia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a owner of a 2002 Kia Rio, and its sucks! first of all they have no power, and I'm having alot of problems with that piece of crap. I'm sometimes scared to drive it because it likes to turn off on stop signs and stop lights, or sometimes i think its going to turn off but it doesn't, it just loses alot of power and drives like a piece of junk going slower than people walk. It even drives like crap in the freeway, when you start to hit 70mph the mirrors start to make like a screaming noise and then it feels like the car is pulling back and like it wants to turn off, thats what I'm afraid might happen,might as well ride my bike to wherever i'm going, I'm guaranteed to be safer than to be driving that junk. Ive taken it three times to go get serviced but stupid kia dealer never finds anything wrong with it. they must be looking with their eyes closed or something because something is definitly wrong with that stupid car. I think I'm going to have to complain to the main Kia that their car sucks and they need to take it off the market before it kills someone. They should get the hint with all those complaints their getting from people. My next car will definitly not be a Kia because Kia SUCKS!!!! Especially the Rio.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
A co-worker of mine has a 02 Rio with about 70k on it. He has had no issues with it. He says its a great car. Not all Rios are the same as yours. Sorry to hear you dont like yours.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My Wife's 01 rio is just fine. :banana: When's the last time you had a tune up? How about a fuel injector cleaning? Did you check for recalls? the 01 had a recall for stalling, bad ECU, not sure about the 02.

As for the lack of power, you should have bought a Porshe. You DID test drive it first right? <_< I noticed an immediate lack of power on my test drive. But, I was getting it for reliability and efficiency-- it hasn't let me down yet with 46K miles behind it.

I did have some maintenance issues, but that's the fault of the crappy technicians I took it to (non dealer) who apparently thought it was ok to not re-gap the plugs. That caused the same stalling problem you're describing. It also screwed up the fuel injectors. Also, I just did the tranny flush and fill and that helped it shift a LOT smoother as well as give it a noticable lift in initial acceleration.

I hope you can either fix or unload yours, if it's still under warranty and they're saying they can't fix it, tell them you want a new one and talk to the owner of the dealership. GLB

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio
182 Posts
Originally posted by KiaRio02@Sep 4 2005, 11:07 AM
I am a owner of a 2002 Kia Rio, and its sucks! first of all they have no power, and I'm having alot of problems with that piece of crap. I'm sometimes scared to drive it because it likes to turn off on stop signs and  stop lights, or sometimes i think its going to turn off but it doesn't, it just loses alot of power and drives like a piece of junk going slower than people walk. It even drives like crap in the freeway, when you start to hit 70mph the mirrors start to make like a screaming noise and then it feels like the car is pulling back and like it wants to turn off, thats what I'm afraid might happen,might as well ride my bike to wherever i'm going, I'm guaranteed to be safer than to be driving that junk. Ive taken it three times to go get serviced but stupid kia dealer never finds anything wrong with it. they must be looking with their eyes closed or something because something is definitly wrong with that stupid car. I think I'm going to have to complain to the main Kia that their car sucks and they need to take it off the market before it kills someone. They should get the hint with all those complaints their getting from people.  My next car will definitly not be a Kia because Kia SUCKS!!!! Especially the Rio.
HA :lol: HA :lol: HA :lol: HA :lol: sucks to be YOU. HA :lol: HA :lol: HA :lol: HA :lol:
i never had any problem with my 2002 did u buy yours used?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Rio_2002@Sep 4 2005, 05:44 PM
HA :lol: HA :lol: HA :lol: HA :lol: sucks to be YOU. HA :lol: HA :lol: HA :lol: HA :lol:
i never had any problem with my 2002 did u buy yours used?
you know what? let me tell you something, if you had to drive my car you wouldnt be laughing, you'd probably be hating kia too, i'm serious. you just be glad that yours doesnt work like mine. oh yeah and i did get it used, wasnt my choice though, so i dont know what those people who had it before me did.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by KiaRio02@Sep 9 2005, 08:34 PM
you know what? let me tell you something, if you had to drive my car you wouldnt be laughing, you'd probably be hating kia too, i'm serious. you just be glad that yours doesnt work like mine. oh yeah and i did get it used, wasnt my choice though, so i dont know what those people who had it before me did.

When you took it to get serviced, did you take them on a drive and show them the problem? If you can't replicate it in front of someone, they don't care. ESSPECIALLY if it's not happening ALL THE TIME. Wierd problem though.

BTW Rio 2002: I LOVE THOSE DOORS and Shelby looking body kit you got going on there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by KiaRio02@Sep 4 2005, 01:07 PM
I am a owner of a 2002 Kia Rio, and its sucks! first of all they have no power, and I'm having alot of problems with that piece of crap. I'm sometimes scared to drive it because it likes to turn off on stop signs and stop lights, or sometimes i think its going to turn off but it doesn't, it just loses alot of power and drives like a piece of junk going slower than people walk.
There was a "recall" about a stalling problem that's free to fix if you take it into a dealer. I had that problem a few times, but haven't had it since they did that repair (over a year ago).

It even drives like crap in the freeway, when you start to hit 70mph the mirrors start to make like a screaming noise and then it feels like the car is pulling back and like it wants to turn off, thats what I'm afraid might happen,might as well ride my bike to wherever i'm going, I'm guaranteed to be safer than to be driving that junk.
I hear the howling some as well, but only on really windy days when the wind is aiming just right. I drive on a ~70mph road every day to work, and I maybe hear it once every other month. However, YMMV.

Like several others in this thread, I'm a happy Kia owner. The two Kia dealers I've been to have been very helpful, and it's always nice to come away with a $0 bill. I wouldn't buy another Rio if I was buying a car today, simply because I want some of the nicer features of slightly more expensive cars. However, I won't hesitate to look at their higher-end models when looking for a new car here in a year or two.

You might want to try another dealer, to see if you have any better luck.

-Jon

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Sounds like you guys need to find another dealer, not another car. There are a million things that can cause this type of problem, but without the data from the scan tool, I can't offer much help. It'd be like throwing darts in the dark.

And by the way, I don't suck D!$K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.