Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an online article 2 weeks ago that showed Stinger sales (since launch) at approximately 1,800 in the US and at 59 in Canada. Yes, 59 units. Unfortunately I cannot remember who hosted it, so I can't link it, but I will keep searching.

In the interim though, the point I want to bring up is that while the US is 10 times the size of Canada in population, their Stinger sales are 36 times better.

Wazzup with that ?

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
Don't know where you are getting your figures but they are far from reliable. 1800/59 = 30.5

The Stinger was available at dealerships in Canada and the US sometime in November 2017.

Total sales of the Stinger from November 2017 to the end of February 2018:
US: 3,208
Canada: 278

for an approximate comparison just add a 0 to the Canadian figure to account for the population difference, so the US is only slightly selling better. Also the US has available all models (2.0L T & V6 TT) while Canada only sells 2 of them (V6 TT) at present.

check out the thread on sales: http://www.kia-forums.com/general-kia-non-model-specific-discussion/44786-kia-monthly-sales-43.html

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said, I can't find the article (and it may have been a couple of months old as well when I saw it) but your numbers quoted with the link attached, reflect a much better result, than the one which I read prior.

That's good to see.

I just came back from the car show here in YYC, and the Pearl White Stinger with red leather they had on display was smoking hot !!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts
I'm considering a Stinger GT2 because it has AWD, appears to be somewhat receptive to modifications to the engine/ecu, and can be had for under $40k. My usual daily driver stays in the garage most of the winter due to the crazy amount of horsepower and rear wheel drive. If the Stinger engine can be coaxed to 400-ish horsepower, I may just get one.

Best,

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX-L, 2018 Stinger GT2
55 Posts
They are well over 400hp right now with piggy backs..lap3, jb4..and over 500 torque. There are also ECU tunes now...pick your poison...the aftermarket is going strong on these right now.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts
They are well over 400hp right now with piggy backs..lap3, jb4..and over 500 torque. There are also ECU tunes now...pick your poison...the aftermarket is going strong on these right now.
Yep. I'll be curious to see where the limit is on power without having to upgrade to forged internals on the lower end. I've been eyeballing another forum dedicated to Stingers and the piggy backs seem to be the low hanging fruit. 0-60 around 4 secs and 1/4 times in the low 12's is about what I get from my 485hp Charger so that's all I'm looking to achieve at this juncture. :) I'll also be curious to see how resilient the AWD system is when subjected to more power and torque than stock.

Cheers!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep. I'll be curious to see where the limit is on power without having to upgrade to forged internals on the lower end. I've been eyeballing another forum dedicated to Stingers and the piggy backs seem to be the low hanging fruit. 0-60 around 4 secs and 1/4 times in the low 12's is about what I get from my 485hp Charger so that's all I'm looking to achieve at this juncture. :) I'll also be curious to see how resilient the AWD system is when subjected to more power and torque than stock.

Cheers!
Torque Motorsports is in the 3's for 0-60 and in the 11's for 1/4 mile with their tuned Stinger. They have ECU tune, CAI, full exhaust and upgraded inter cooler.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX AWD-2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
469 Posts
I'm very happy with my Stinger GT2 AWD...
I'm enjoying it as a daily driver...
Drove well in 6" of snow with the summer tires...
I'll be switching to all season tires ASAP...

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was at my dealer today and all the sales and service managers are driving them as demos because they are having trouble selling a $50K KIA sedan apparently.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm very happy with my Stinger GT2 AWD...
I'm enjoying it as a daily driver...
Drove well in 6" of snow with the summer tires...
I'll be switching to all season tires ASAP...
I haven't had any snow yet but already swapped out the Michelin summers for Nitto Motivo all seasons. They do grat in dry and wet, have a cushier ride than the Michelins and less road noise. We will have to wait to see how they do in the snow, but have to be better than the summers.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts
Was at my dealer today and all the sales and service managers are driving them as demos because they are having trouble selling a $50K KIA sedan apparently.
Street price appears to be in the low to mid 40's for a loaded GT2 AWD. They're not THAT expensive.

Cheers!

·
Registered
55 Posts
i think they could sell a lot more if they would advertise them a bit more. I see plenty of commercials n the local and cable channels for the optima and sorento, but never for the stinger. A lot of people come up and ask what kind of car it is. If they dont know by now, then marketing really needs to step up their game. Advertising by word of mouth is a really slow way to grow sales.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts