Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sportage EX AWD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The European Sportage has a rear fog light (see picture).

Since I will move to europe next year I'm looking for a solution for my US-Sportage. The EU-Lights will not fit (larger).

Any suggestions ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
Many american cars here have these mounted under the rear bumper,one light on left side. Wired to a separate switch. What color are your rear turn lights? Red i assume. Should be yellow. What part of Europe and how long will you stay,if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
2013 Sportage EX AWD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installed the yellow turn signals... from korea with E-marks. I will move to Germany.

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
There are LEDs that you can put in there. Just have to open up the housing, though. 2010~Kia Sportage exLED Rear Reflector Parking and Brake LED Module Instead of hooking up the LEDs as they describe, just hook up the brake wire (since that's the brightest) to the fog wire that you bring back from the front. Shouldn't have an issue with over loading the relay or anything, since these LEDs use hardly any power compared to the actual fogs.

If you don't want to open them: http://www.exledshop.com/exled-custom-leds/kia/sportage-r/2010-kia-sportage-exled-rear-reflector-turn-reverse-leds-copy.html $165 + shipping for the reflector LED already installed.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Fog, rear lights? I hate those, and Europeans do too. Certain people leave them on permanently, and they look like brake lights.

I've been hoping that wouldn't come to North America, or that legislation might happen to prevent red lamps for any purpose other than brakes. Car-specification legislation is both too weak to help and too annoying ("Doors must have a means of being opened from the inside and the outside" vs. "The shift pattern must be displayed in view of the driver").
-----

wolf_t, I don't know if the fog lamp assembly could be retrofitted. OCD_Person is completely right; I don't know Sportage's wiring, but if there's an unused dedicated rear-fog-lamp plug available, remember how LEDs can fool computers into thinking a bulb is shorted due to low electrical resistance/consumption.

What part of Germany? Post your unrestricted Autobahnen results & impressions! ;-)

·
Registered
2013 Sportage EX AWD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fog, rear lights? I hate those, and Europeans do too. Certain people leave them on permanently, and they look like brake lights.

I've been hoping that wouldn't come to North America, or that legislation might happen to prevent red lamps for any purpose other than brakes. Car-specification legislation is both too weak to help and too annoying ("Doors must have a means of being opened from the inside and the outside" vs. "The shift pattern must be displayed in view of the driver").
-----

wolf_t, I don't know if the fog lamp assembly could be retrofitted. OCD_Person is completely right; I don't know Sportage's wiring, but if there's an unused dedicated rear-fog-lamp plug available, remember how LEDs can fool computers into thinking a bulb is shorted due to low electrical resistance/consumption.

What part of Germany? Post your unrestricted Autobahnen results & impressions! ;-)
Where did you see the unused rear fog lamp plug?

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
You don't have a rear fog plug. That's why I mentioned bringing a wire back from the front. Nor do you have a hole in that housing for a fog bulb. You'd have to make a hole. My option might be the best but then again, it will only light up the reflector, since there is naturally no space for a fog bulb.

·
Registered
2013 Sportage EX AWD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are LEDs that you can put in there. Just have to open up the housing, though. 2010~Kia Sportage exLED Rear Reflector Parking and Brake LED Module Instead of hooking up the LEDs as they describe, just hook up the brake wire (since that's the brightest) to the fog wire that you bring back from the front. Shouldn't have an issue with over loading the relay or anything, since these LEDs use hardly any power compared to the actual fogs.

If you don't want to open them: 2010~ Kia Sportage exLED Rear Reflector Turn Reverse LEDs $165 + shipping for the reflector LED already installed.
To install this item, you need to dismantle the light....

Is there a "howto" ?

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
i would probably just get LEDs and get DRL controller there's some stuff from korea for the rear lights at the rear bumper (in ebay)
the only annoying thing will be taking off your rear bumper or check under neath if you can just reach it ..

·
Registered
2013 Sportage EX AWD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the LED from EBAY. I have the rear lights on my workbench, How can I take them apart?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts