Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here goes, I have been working on my sister's sportage, it started last week when traveling down I-20. sudden loss of power and the automatic trans not shifting correctly. I changed the Spark Plugs it smoothed out most of the rough Idle. Same problem existed. We have tested the Alternator it was good, I changed out the fuel filter still same problem.

the symptoms are you can crank the engine, runs a little rough, then you are able to rev the engine. sometime the engine tries to cut back like a loss of air or fuel. then when put in reverse it travel fine just at idle. when in drive or reverse and you give it some gas, the engine cuts back. and may get up to 20mph down hill. if going up any incline you have to beg it to work.

I am thinking that it might be the Mass air flow sensor. If anyone (axeman) have any suggestions on what to try next. I am open to any help on the problem.

thanks,
Glens
:eek:

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
67 Posts
sorry CEL stands for Check Engine Light. i was wondering if it was on. The preheat cat is located right after the exhaust manifold. Our sportages have 2 catalytic converters. The preheat and the main cat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no the cel is not on. how do you check the preheat cat? this weekend i am going to check the timing belt is there any points that you could give me before I dive in to that progect.

thanks,
glens

_____
my name has only one "n"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I cranked the engine with the mass air flow sensor connected and then shut off the engine and disconnected it and the engine runs the same. no change. is there anyway I can test this sensor before i plunge money into it and it not be the cause of the problem.

glens

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorento lover,

Do you know the specifications on the TPS how to measure and what feeler guages to use.

glens

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all...I am having similar problems and hoping someone can help. My biggest issue with my 20011 Kia Sportage is that it has no pickup what-so-ever. It feels as though the transmition is not allowing me to go past 3rd gear! I have a horrible time getting up to speed when entering the highway, and hills...well, lets just say that I am very happy once I finally make it up- as I often go beyond the concern for the lack of speed and my concern turns to fear that I may stall!! Somone was going to replace the spark plugs for me, however, he found that they are underneath the engine! Am I crazy? Or isnt there an easier way to do this? Also, is there possibly something else I can look into working on so that at the very least I can get to 65mph in UNDER 7 minutes for highway driving...?
Thanks for any help you can lend
~sam~

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by sams@Jul 6 2005, 08:12 AM
Hi all...I am having similar problems and hoping someone can help. My biggest issue with my 20011 Kia Sportage is that it has no pickup what-so-ever. It feels as though the transmition is not allowing me to go past 3rd gear! I have a horrible time getting up to speed when entering the highway, and hills...well, lets just say that I am very happy once I finally make it up- as I often go beyond the concern for the lack of speed and my concern turns to fear that I may stall!! Somone was going to replace the spark plugs for me, however, he found that they are underneath the engine! Am I crazy? Or isnt there an easier way to do this? Also, is there possibly something else I can look into working on so that at the very least I can get to 65mph in UNDER 7 minutes for highway driving...?
Thanks for any help you can lend
~sam~
If it has excess of 30K miles the spark plugs are due for replacement. You can find the procedure here:

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php...=5&o=14&fpart=1

·
Registered
1999 Kia sportage stick shift 2WD 2.0L
9 Posts
sorry CEL stands for Check Engine Light. i was wondering if it was on. The preheat cat is located right after the exhaust manifold. Our sportages have 2 catalytic converters. The preheat and the main cat.
i can not find the pre heat cat anywhere online and kia tech has no info on it either

does my 2.0 1999 kia sportage have a pre heat cat?

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4 auto
137 Posts
If and When you change your plugs make sure you go with the cheap NGK plugs (like $1.99) each don't go for the fancy /expensive ones they aren't going to work as good.

·
Registered
99 sporty 4x4, 2000 grand voyager,
114 Posts
If and When you change your plugs make sure you go with the cheap NGK plugs (like $1.99) each don't go for the fancy /expensive ones they aren't going to work as good.
Just to let you know, mine was running like crap a few weeks ago, kept trying to stall out at low speeds and at stop lights. Until one day it stopped altogether on the way home from work. got a tow home, there were teeth missing off the timing belt so I changed that out and put in new plugs too and I have to tell you, in the five years I have owned this vehicle it is the BEST it has ever run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kia Sportage 2.0L 2000 2001 Front Catalytic Converter: eBay Motors (item 160464913797 end time Sep-04-10 11:49:21 PDT)

This is quite expensive but the warranty is 2x the average one.
You can also check RockAuto Auto Parts

Good luck. And if you change your O2 sensor, use a Bosch. I have tried several others with no success, but the Bosch was plug and play.

UPYOURKIA
on their ad they state that the front one is the one that goes bad

how true do you think this is?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kia Sportage 2.0L 2000 2001 Front Catalytic Converter: eBay Motors (item 160464913797 end time Sep-04-10 11:49:21 PDT)

This is quite expensive but the warranty is 2x the average one.
You can also check RockAuto Auto Parts

Good luck. And if you change your O2 sensor, use a Bosch. I have tried several others with no success, but the Bosch was plug and play.

UPYOURKIA
could i use this piece

1998-2001 Kia Sportage Front Pipe - Bosal - Front

and not use the pre-heat front cat
those prices are insane

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was wondering if you figured out the problem bc my Kia Sportage is stuck in 3erd gear... I was told its bc its loosing signal that it's a safe guard but I put it in the shop and they say there not seeing anything ....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts