Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:unsure: I have a Kia Sportage 2.0 purchased in March 2002. It has only done 39,000 kms (not miles) and at a routine service there was a leak in the cooling system discovered. The car temp guage had never risen, however the head had to come off and be planed. Also the brake master cylinder had to be replaced, it had been using brake fluid, but only just recently, in fact since the 20,000 service when it was returned from service and the levels were low. Till that time it had never been using brake fluid.
I am not too car savvy, and also unfamiliar with this car and electronic rather than mechanical systems. It is the only new car i have owned. I am also a female and quite practical but with little knowledge.
I am careful with oil and water levels so I cant understand why there was a small fine crack in the head. The repairs are done under warranty and 150 kms later there is a strong smell in the engine compartment, some whitish looking spots on the engine area and I reckon the engine area was feeling pretty hot when I checked it after a 25min drive. The check engine light has come on now and will not go off. I will take it to be checked. Any advice please? I need to know how I can be extra vigilant to take good care of my treasured car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are others out there with far more knowledge than have about the Sportage, and I hope they lend me a hand here. That said - here is my take on what you said.
1st the water leakage at 39K kms and needing the head planed - That could be result of the head not being properly torqued at the factory which lead to the head warping resulting in a leak where the surfaces didn't seal tightly. Planing the head would remove the warp and thus fix the leak.
The strong smell under the hood could simple be a result of grease getting on hot surfaces. If that is case it should end very soon.
The check engine light should be looked at right away - by a garage since it should still be under warranty.

Hope this is some help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts