Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When overtaking at above 100km/h the engine light comes on and car looses revs. It then goes into a limp mode and won't go above 80km/h.

When you restart the car engine light goes off and seems ok. But then randomly error reoccurres.

Three times now the service centre claim no issues. Kia don't want to know about it.

It is a very serious problem. Not good when overtaking a road train or on freeway doing 115km/h in the fast lane.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What OBD codes were set?
Sorry I know nothing about cars. They said it had no codes when they checked it out (4 times now).

All I have is a photo of the soild engine light, you turn the car off wait a minute and it is generally resets again. Only to happen randomly again some ways down the road.

I googled it and 102 reports suggest throttle position switch (TPS), but Kia don't want to know about it.

Scary when overtaking a 30m road train or in the fast lane having to get over 4 lanes of traffic in peak hour, to stop in the breakdown lane. I have had to get warrning stickers to advise not to follow me when I'm overtaking.

·
Super Moderator
9,541 Posts
Sorry I know nothing about cars. They said it had no codes when they checked it out (4 times now).

All I have is a photo of the soild engine light, you turn the car off wait a minute and it is generally resets again. Only to happen randomly again some ways down the road.

I googled it and 102 reports suggest throttle position switch (TPS), but Kia don't want to know about it.

Scary when overtaking a 30m road train or in the fast lane having to get over 4 lanes of traffic in peak hour, to stop in the breakdown lane. I have had to get warrning stickers to advise not to follow me when I'm overtaking.
Take it somewhere else to get the code read - if the light came on, a code will be stored.

Call Kia Aus in the local dealership isin't working with you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take it somewhere else to get the code read - if the light came on, a code will be stored.

Call Kia Aus in the local dealership isin't working with you.
I have had it at two dealers and they all claim no code. Kia Australia is of no help, very disappointing. I'll never buy a Kia or Hyundai again. Their 7 year warranty is a joke. Had it not been such a serious issue, I'd probably live with it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have had it at two dealers and they all claim no code. ....
I'm not a Kia fanboy, and don't normally take the side of stealerships. However, in a very sporadic problem situation such as yours, which can't be easily replicated and doesn't leave codes set, I can't find any fault with Kia. The only other thing they could do is have one of their techs drive your vehicle until the problem occurs for them, while you drive a loaner. If that possibility has not been discussed yet, you might want to ask them about it.

Meanwhile, you could possibly help yourself by buying an OBD code reader and keeping it plugged in at all times. There are phone apps, such as Torque for Android, or you can buy an inexpensive unit off the shelf, which are sold by a number of stores. With the reader active, you will be able to find out what the codes are, right after the CEL comes on. Knowing the codes MIGHT be enough to get some action by Kia, even if they are not able to read them when you arrive there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not a Kia fanboy, and don't normally take the side of stealerships. However, in a very sporadic problem situation such as yours, which can't be easily replicated and doesn't leave codes set, I can't find any fault with Kia. The only other thing they could do is have one of their techs drive your vehicle until the problem occurs for them, while you drive a loaner. If that possibility has not been discussed yet, you might want to ask them about it.

Meanwhile, you could possibly help yourself by buying an OBD code reader and keeping it plugged in at all times. There are phone apps, such as Torque for Android, or you can buy an inexpensive unit off the shelf, which are sold by a number of stores. With the reader active, you will be able to find out what the codes are, right after the CEL comes on. Knowing the codes MIGHT be enough to get some action by Kia, even if they are not able to read them when you arrive there.
I just thought they would at least ask what the reported issues are that were reported online. If it didn't have the potential to kill my family I would not mind. They aren't prepared to try anything, dispit four different drivers having the same issue with my car. Two of us have over 25 yrs driving experience and my dad has 50 odd.

Safety and lives should matter more then policies. I actually have video of the last service with more questions then answers.

I'll try and find one of the tools you've suggest. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,541 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts