Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm new to the website ( first post ever) and I have couple of question to ask.
I have a crazy fuel consumption (30L/100km) and a heavy smell of fuel. This doesn't happen all the time, sometimes the fuel consumption is very good less than 10L/100KM.
I try to look for the leak but as everyone knows fuel leaks are paint to find :huh:
Oh and I have on the dash board an engine light with the code O2 sensor error.

Now the brakes: i bought the rear brake pads at bendix, the part number is DB1775 but guest what they don't fit :S . by any chance do you know whats the good part number. I use my Vin chassis number to find the part number.

Thanks a lot and i hope someone got a solution for me.

Alex

PS: Btw my car is a Kia sportage gen 1 , 2.0l DOCH.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
In order to properly diagnose your fuel issue, you must understand how an OBDII system works..

Although you report an O2 error code, that is useless unless we have the correct one....
That being said, it may in fact not be a defective sensor, but a condition where the O2 is unable to cope with the situation..

Any illegal air in the system between the MAF and the CAT will force the O2 to report an excess of undepleted oxygen, this in turn will cause the ECU to command a longer fuel pulse (run richer) in an attempt attain a 14/1 (air/fuel) ration.

So what do we do? throw parts at it! NO!

Using a LIVE DATA SCANNER,
  • monitor the O2 sensor for activity, quick switching and no bias...
  • Check the STFT (0 @ idle and 1500rpm),
  • Add fuel (propane), and then air (Open vacuum port) to see if the O2 will adjust... IF not, then replace O2 sensor.....

Check the intake and exhaust for any leaks, (smoke test is easiest)
Check the fuel pressure for over pressure (FPR) or bleed down (leaking injector)...

...Philip

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,695 Posts
It would also help if you told us where in the world you live. As far as your brakes go, what did the parts store tell you, when you told them you got the wrong brake pads? Also did you mean brake shoes? You have rear drums. Not disc?

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Welcome Alex .. were are you located ? Keep looking for a leak also check tank and lines going into the tank.
There is a sticky at the beginning on fuel smell.
Are you replacing the front pads or rear shoes? common # 670 f pads & 706 R shoes.The prefix & suffix will differ on manufacturer & lining grades. U S market.
A faulty 02 sensor may cause extra fuel consumption. post code & front or rear sensor.
The question are asked to help us understand your problems better.
chief

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
It would also help if you told us where in the world you live.
I am known for not guessing or making assumptions:confused:, however, given the 97 model yr, the report of a code and measurements in Km. I took this to reflect a N.American vehicle, most probably Canada, and french speaking...:rolleyes:

Bacon and eggs with toast and maple syrup for breakfast (this was stretching).. Philip

·
Super Moderator
4,695 Posts
I am known for not guessing or making assumptions:confused:, however, given the 97 model yr, the report of a code and measurements in Km. I took this to reflect a N.American vehicle, most probably Canada, and french speaking...:rolleyes:

Bacon and eggs with toast and maple syrup for breakfast (this was stretching).. Philip

Why guess?? He says he has rear disc? No Sportage's in the USA or Canada have disc back then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hi everyone and thanks a lot trying to help me,

I will try to find the exact code for the O2 sensor. Sorry for my weak english, I meant the rear shoe brake.
Good guess for the french speaking part but you got it wrong on the location, I live in Australia but I'm from a french speaking country.
After looking everywhere on internet I found out that the kia 1 gen have two different rear shoe set up.

1. is the one a bought (bendix DB1775)
2. is the one i have on my car.

So now I will have to find out what's the part number of those shoes.

thanks again guys

I will try to update my garage to show you my little beast

Next job to do is to lift her ..

Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
finally I receive the good shoe. put the right side with no worries. Open the left side and SUPRISE my operating level( the little part that adjust the shoe) is snap.

KIa Australia don't have that part, and either the Koreans.
No wreckers in my region got them .. i can say i'm screwed :(

Some one in QLD, gold coast region know where i can find that part by any chance?

Regrds

Alex:confused:

Still don't understand how can this level can snap like that

·
Super Moderator
4,695 Posts
finally I receive the good shoe. put the right side with no worries. Open the left side and SUPRISE my operating level( the little part that adjust the shoe) is snap.

KIa Australia don't have that part, and either the Koreans.
No wreckers in my region got them .. i can say i'm screwed :(

Some one in QLD, gold coast region know where i can find that part by any chance?

Regrds

Alex:confused:

Still don't understand how can this level can snap like that

I can sell and ship you the part if you like? Are you talking about the adjusting lever on the bottom of the shoes?

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
If you are in south east Qld then you could try a place in Deception Bay (near Redcliffe) called Lada and Korean parts. I've found the guy there to be very helpful and good at getting bits for both my 98 Sporty and my Sorento. His prices are pretty reasonable too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts