Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage, Massachusetts
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving up hill less than 20 minutes , speed 20 to 30 miles per hour, curvy road , car is not overheated , no smoke , smell burned rubber , i am concern and puzzle

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
217 Posts
It is very possible the smell came from an outside source. Has it occurred since?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no it did not. i will drive hilly area in New Hampshire, USA ,next week , testing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
id did not come from outside , clean air, , nobody on parking lot, anybody had the same issue , maybe exhaust ,muffler , burning rubber smell

·
Registered
842 Posts
How long have you had the car? How many miles? Maybe the dealers use undercoating in that area which usually gets on exhaust pipes. It also could be an oil leak burning on the exhaust. If it happens again, take it in for a look.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i bought the car October 1 ,2019 , it has 1000 miles plus only. there is no problem if driven on flat , or moderate incline , even speed 80 miles per hour . smell occurred, when drive up hills only. so next week, i will drive it, on Kancamagus highway in NH, but already nervous , anyway i already contacted dealership, they documented , so keep you posted

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
329 Posts
I know this may be a silly question, but I have been told for years that there is no such thing, so: You didn't have the "Hill Descent Assist" engaged during that time did you?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know this may be a silly question, but I have been told for years that there is no such thing, so: You didn't have the "Hill Descent Assist" engaged during that time did you?
i have no idea HILL DESCENT ASSIST exit on the car , so not sure it was engaged.where is it located ? is it switch ? i have to check it out , thanks

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
217 Posts
Yes, Our Sportage is equipped with this feature, so is my Ford Edge SEL.....I do not use the feature, but it is available. It uses engine braking via throttle control along with delayed transmission upshifts. Might be helpful if your towing, which it sounds like you were not......

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hill Descent....meaning going down hill. I've never used the feature but have it in 2 vehicles.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
329 Posts
It is a switch on the center console (where the "drive mode" switch is). It should be used when going down steep grades/hills.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what about to go up steep hill serpentine, which requite slow speed and RPM 2000/3000, any device or assist control, just use Eco D or sport shift ? thanks

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2020 KIA Sportage SX
13 Posts
driving up hill less than 20 minutes , speed 20 to 30 miles per hour, curvy road , car is not overheated , no smoke , smell burned rubber , i am concern and puzzle
Had the same smell yesterday ascending hills. Less than 500 miles on the 2020 model so I attributed the smell to "breaking in" to some heat sensitive material's one-time giving off gas. I'll follow this post and add if I find a source for the smell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had the same smell yesterday ascending hills. Less than 500 miles on the 2020 model so I attributed the smell to "breaking in" to some heat sensitive material's one-time giving off gas. I'll follow this post and add if I find a source for the smell.
I spoke to KIA dealership about it they say "breaking in" period. usually up to 2000 miles so keep you posted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I spoke to KIA dealership about it they say "breaking in" period. usually up to 2000 miles so keep you posted
almost 1500 miles drove some hilly area, so far no smell. end of November more difficult , serpentine ascend trip in NH is my plan

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
171 Posts
My 2018 had a similar smell. I attributed it to the exhaust "burning in". The smell went away not long after I got it and never returned.

My 2020 had no smell at all.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2015
2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts