Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed a stranged sound on the engine of my sportage 2014 when the RPM reaches 1000. Sounds like a grinding/vibrating noise so irritable. Its only on 1000RPM. When I turned off the AC no sounds coming. Its One year and half I'm been using this car. The ODO only 36,861 Kilometers. Every 5K and doing service at kia quick service station. Any one can help me or having same problem? What you do to get rid of this problem?

·
Registered
527 Posts
1000 rpm is really low, even at 30mph mine is at 1500rpm.

update: so on the way home today i decided to try to go 1000rpm, speed limit was 30mph, about a 2 mile stretch close to home. i was going 30mph, i shifted over to manual, saw it was in 4th gear. i upped it to 5th and it hovered around 1,200-1,300rpm, i upped to 6th, it hovered right at 1,000rpm and it down shifted to 4th after about 2 seconds. i forgot to turn off the radio so don't know about the noise. will try again tomorrow if i remember.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone. I am experiencing a similar issue as the OP.

When driiving or in park at about 1000-1500RPMs, my engine started making a kind of grinding noise. It becomes more pronounced if I am driving and make a turn at that RPM. Kinda sounds a little like when the air conditioner first turns on.

The noise is more pronounced with the AC on, but the noise is present with AC on or off.

Any idea where to start diagnosing this issue? Do you think the car is still ok to drive?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Welcome.

Sounds to me like a loose belt, the one that moves the Power Steerin' pump; however, a Power Steering without enough oil, could cause the belt to slip over the hard pulley; so I kindly suggest you to start checking the level of Power Steering Fluid, and the state of the Belt; maybe it only needs to get Tightened, or changed.

The car should still be driveable, but check the Belts as soon as possible, otherwise it could loose a belt and left you stranded in the middle of nowhere...

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your thoughts. Definitely a relief that it does not sound like a serious issue (head gasket, transmission).
I will check the fluids and see where they're at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone, please help me out. I wanted to change my engine oil for the first time(Kia Sportage) but the owner manuals recommends ACEA A5, I don't know what this means...but the in the region where I stay, I only get A3 spec. However, the API SM(recommended) does match. Please tell me whether it's fine to use ACEA A3 instead of A5.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hello everyone, please help me out. I wanted to change my engine oil for the first time(Kia Sportage) but the owner manuals recommends ACEA A5, I don't know what this means...but the in the region where I stay, I only get A3 spec. However, the API SM(recommended) does match. Please tell me whether it's fine to use ACEA A3 instead of A5.

suggest you create your own thread.

what manufacturer of oil in your country?

you say first time oil change, brand new? if yes then bring to kia service center.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
isnt it sportage 3g has electrical power steering thereby no hydraulic involve?
The profile of the one who posted, asking for information, only states a "2010 Kia Forte" as his car... Despite of posting on a Sportage section, his post was confusing, somehow.

suggest you create your own thread...
I Agree, Kind Regards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently noticed a stranged sound on the engine of my sportage 2014 when the RPM reaches 1000. Sounds like a grinding/vibrating noise so irritable. Its only on 1000RPM. When I turned off the AC no sounds coming. Its One year and half I'm been using this car. The ODO only 36,861 Kilometers. Every 5K and doing service at kia quick service station. Any one can help me or having same problem? What you do to get rid of this problem?
Have you found out what the problem was? I'm having the same issue

·
Super Moderator
9,474 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts