Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kia Sportage 2001 and it refuses to start (engine turns but no doesn't start). Managed to determine it was something to do with the fuel pump. Fuel pump was replaced but no game. My father managed to narrow it down the fuel pump getting no power. The green/yellow wire which we figured was for the fuel pump seems dead, no voltage from it when the car is switched on. All the fuses are whole and I had the relays checked at the local Kia dealer which checked out ok. So I'm wondering if there's anything I could check and possibly fix this problem.

with regards

cerui

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sportage
134 Posts
Change the relays anyway. Mine checked good with a meter also, but the main relay was failing and would only put 6 to 8 volts to the fuel pump relay, among other components. I changed it and haven't had a problem since.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,372 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

As Mike says, it could be a problem with the fuel pump relay or the EGI relay.

The ECU controls this relay - it will put power to the FP when the ignition is turned on, but if no pulses are received from the engine within say 60 seconds then it will turn the power off the FP.
For the FP to get power the EGI and FP relay need to be on.
Note: If the timing belt is gone then the ECU will not hold power on to the FP - have you confirmed that the spark plugs are firing?

Another thing you could try is jumper the Diagnostic plug (DLC connector) in the engine bay which will put power directly to the FP and try starting like that.
Jumper A to B.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you.

Ok, I jumpered the DLC connector and the engine starts, revs up and then shuts (I assume this is normal behaviour when jumpering that it doesn't allow you to run the engine, only to start). So this means that the either the egi or the fp relay are fried and exchanging both would be the safest course.

P.s. Thank you very much for the assistance, you're probably saving me loads of money :)

P.s.s. how much are the relays from offical kia dealer anyways?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,372 Posts
Thank you.

Ok, I jumpered the DLC connector and the engine starts, revs up and then shuts (I assume this is normal behaviour when jumpering that it doesn't allow you to run the engine, only to start). So this means that the either the egi or the fp relay are fried and exchanging both would be the safest course.

P.s. Thank you very much for the assistance, you're probably saving me loads of money :)

P.s.s. how much are the relays from offical kia dealer anyways?
They aren't expensive, but this type of thing can be bought from most parts stores or auto-elec shops.

With the jumper connected the engine should not cut out but run normally, so I suspect you may have another problem - it would be good to get a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and monitor it when the engine cuts out.

A problem with the EGI relay would not allow it to run regardless of the FP jumper being applied, so this could be your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I'm most baffled now. I bought a pair of relays and exchanged them, nothing, no power to the fuel pump or nothing. I switch just the main relay, both relays, fuel pump relay and nothing. Then by accident I exchange a relay while the car is switched on (end up putting both the old relays in), I even try to do the jumper thing, nothing at all. Me and my father decide to try to charge the battery from my parents car (which was the first thing I tried when the car didn't start), I try starting after 20 minutes and the same. Then after approximatedly 30 minutes we try jumpering again and BAM, the bloody car starts. We take the jumperwire out, turn off the car and then I start it and it starts just fine. Test it a few times and works just fine now. Going to try to drive it to my place, leave it there for the night and try driving it tomorrow, see if it's still fixed (not going to take the chance of driving it to work which is another town and if something goes wrong I'm worse off).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having an almost identical problem. The fuel pump seems to work intermittently. It will start up 20 times in a row, walk away for a minute try to start it again, nothing. I have not replaced the relays or any of the fuses yet. I feel like I'm chasing down a million problems.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
When attempting to diagnose any electrical issue, it is important to confirm that the battery can produce the required battery current (amps), not just the Voltage.

If the power is not up to snuff, the relays will not clamp closed, will burn the contacts, producing low voltage readings (carbon deposits cause resistance) and the fuel pump will not run (requires higher current)..... Philip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts