Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a..._us/crash_tests

WASHINGTON - The Kia Spectra is the first vehicle since 2001 to get the insurance industry's worst safety rating in a frontal crash test, according to results released Sunday.

Kia Spectra Gets Worst Rating in Crash Tests
(AP Video)

The Spectra, a small, four-door sedan that starts at $13,240, got the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (news - web sites)'s lowest rating of poor after a crash test dummy's head, chest and legs were injured in the 40 mph crash test. The last car to get that rating was the Chevrolet Cavalier in 2001.

"Most manufacturers have figured out how to design vehicles to do a good job protecting people in frontal crashes," said Adrian Lund, the institute's chief operating officer. "Kia lags behind its competitors."

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
183 Posts
Originally posted by wildone_106@Dec 20 2004, 12:28 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a..._us/crash_tests
WASHINGTON - The Kia Spectra is the first vehicle since 2001 to get the insurance industry's worst safety rating in a frontal crash test, according to results released Sunday.

Kia Spectra Gets Worst Rating in Crash Tests

Hey KIA: WTF??

I know that this news has already been posted, but here's another site's blurb.

From what I'm reading, I hope that KIA can recall and retro-fit some hardware/software to work on the airbag inflation issue. I won't hold my breath though.... not until some poor shmucks start dying and their families go to court.

C'mon KIA. All of us here were expecting something better than this when it comes to frontal collision safety. What say you?

Kia Spectra rates "Poor" in crash test

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/17/pf/autos/i..._car/index.htm- - - - - - ?cnn=yes

Insurance Institute rates five small cars for front-crash safety. Mazda3 does best.
December 20, 2004: 12:15 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Front crash tests on five small cars by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety yielded the first "Poor" rating given by the Institute since 2001.

In the Kia Spectra, a Korean-made small sedan, a crash dummy's head "bottomed out" an air bag and struck a door frame. High impact forces were recorded on the dummy's head and the test showed the possibility of injuries to an occupant's neck, chest and both legs.

"The Kia Spectra's poor performance was a surprise, said Adrian Lund, the Institute's Chief Operating Officer. "Most manufacturers have figured out how to design vehicles to do a good job of protecting people in frontal crashes. Kia lags behind its competitors."

·
Registered
3 Posts

If you read all the article its on the test for the 2004 modle not the new 2005 spectra5...but all in all its still not a  good thing

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
183 Posts
Originally posted by Spectra5@Dec 20 2004, 10:05 PM

If you read all the article its on the test for the 2004 modle not the new 2005 spectra5...but all in all its still not a  good thing

IIHS website source

The offical IIHS website says the following, which appears to imply the Spectra5 as well:

"The Kia Spectra was redesigned during the 2004 model year. (The old design was produced through November 2003; these cars are also designated as 2004 models.) All 2004 Spectra models manufactured after November 2003 are the redesigned cars"

Since the reported "problem" occurs in the front half of the vehicle, I think everyone can safely assume that the problem would also manifest itself in the virtually front-clip identical Spectra5. I doubt that KIA would fix the Spectra5 without copying over the same changes to the sedan.

-SM

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its wierd that tha Elantra is at the top of the list and is base on the same engine and chassis as the Spectra :blink: :blink: :blink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by SpectraMan@Dec 21 2004, 10:59 PM
IIHS website source

The offical IIHS website says the following, which appears to imply the Spectra5 as well:

"The Kia Spectra was redesigned during the 2004 model year. (The old design was produced through November 2003; these cars are also designated as 2004 models.) All 2004 Spectra models manufactured after November 2003 are the redesigned cars"

Since the reported "problem" occurs in the front half of the vehicle, I think everyone can safely assume that the problem would also manifest itself in the virtually front-clip identical Spectra5. I doubt that KIA would fix the Spectra5 without copying over the same changes to the sedan.

-SM
:( how come KIA design this kind of car..... U said it redesigned . but according to the test.. it is done on 2004.. so this is the end product of redesigned?? bad design...

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/B] :( is a very bad news but kia must have a plan to turn back as much as they can froim cars and upgrade its design to pass theese tests

but i wanna ask about the spectra 2003 (i own one A/T ) i need to know its demerits or disadvantages

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by HOKA@Dec 27 2004, 07:15 PM
:( is a very bad news but kia must have a plan to turn back as much as they can froim cars and upgrade its design to pass theese tests

but i wanna ask about the spectra 2003 (i own one A/T ) i need to know its demerits or disadvantages
[/b]

Wat u think?? they test using new Spectra build on year 2004. This is the result.. and yours if year 2003... wat can i said is same or even worst on yours.. because they redesign the car at Sept 03 onward...
But, after redesign still worst!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well this test is with the IIHS if you take a look at the NHTSA the Spectra faired better than the Mazda3 which is the IIHS' top rated car.

:blink: :blink:

Allen

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
Originally posted by blue m and m@Dec 27 2004, 06:19 PM
Well this test is with the IIHS if you take a look at the NHTSA the Spectra faired better than the Mazda3 which is the IIHS' top rated car.

:blink: :blink:

Allen
I wouldve thought that with all the refining they did on the car, exterior, interior, suspension, motor that they would have tried to make it a really safe car to boost sales. guess thats what they will have to work on the next gen on.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts