Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternate went out. took about a month to replace it. Once I got the alternate replace I had to jump start it. When I started driving it, the dash board lights would fluctuate. Like it was losing energy. I thought maybe the battery need to be charged more. Signaling would cause it to do the same thing. For some reason I pressed my hazard light while i was driving and that killed my car while i was still in motion. My steering locked up on me. Luck I wasn't in any major traffic. I'm not expert at cars, hell i wouldn't even consider myself a novice. As i'm typing this out though, I think (below novice guessing here) its safe to say that the new alternate must be bad. No rewiring or anything has been done to the car. Has anyone heard an issue like this?

Kia Spectra 2007

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,398 Posts
My alternate went out. took about a month to replace it. Once I got the alternate replace I had to jump start it. When I started driving it, the dash board lights would fluctuate. Like it was losing energy. I thought maybe the battery need to be charged more. Signaling would cause it to do the same thing. For some reason I pressed my hazard light while i was driving and that killed my car while i was still in motion. My steering locked up on me. Luck I wasn't in any major traffic. I'm not expert at cars, hell i wouldn't even consider myself a novice. As i'm typing this out though, I think (below novice guessing here) its safe to say that the new alternate must be bad. No rewiring or anything has been done to the car. Has anyone heard an issue like this?

Kia Spectra 2007
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,398 Posts

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,069 Posts
For "starters", when the engine "shuts down" you will loose power steering, that does NOT mean that the steering wheel "locks", it just requires more(a lot) effort to turn the steering wheel.
Now for your main issue of loosing ELECTRICAL power that will shut down the computer(electronically controlled engine). Did you clean and properly tighten the positive and negative cables on the battery? Even slightly moving clamps to the battery will cause LOTS of troubles. Also when you do drive the car, is the battery light always illuminated? or the Check engine light on also? And how old(years) is the battery? Running with no charging from the alternator will "wear out" a battery rather quickly.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,889 Posts
The Spectra has problems with battery grounds... Follow the heavy negative wire from the negative (-) battery terminal to where it is attached (bolted) to the body frame... Remove the wire and clean the terminal and the area where it is bolted to the frame until you have bright (shiny) metal... add some clear silicon grease on the terminal and the area on the frame and re-bolt things together... Do the same on the ground wire from the frame to the transmission/engine in the same area... A bad ground will reduce the charging voltage from the old/new alternator and the battery will NOT charge... Seen it more than once on my Spectra(s)...
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts