Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I'm trying out a friend's 2011 white tiger soul. It looks nice, it's functional as far as space goes. It's plenty fast. The suspension however is the worst. I've driven a lot of different cars but this thing feels ridiculous. I've seen many threads about this, but all people talk about are the tires. Would it be possible to get a softer suspension? Does anyone know about costs for that? I've seen many complaints that the 2012 version still has a very stiff suspension as well. Also, It has 20k miles on it and the mpg reading on the dash says I get 20mpg in the city - that's while driving like a grandma. I get 34-36mpg on the highway. The 2012 has a telescoping steering wheel so that's a nice fix. It seems like they actually do get the mileage stated as well. The only thing though is the suspension. Is it possible to get that fixed for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
I am assuming the White Tiger Soul is an Exclaim model and has the 18" wheels? The 18s are the harshest, of the 3 sizes available (I am told on the forums). The base 15s have the most sidewall and offer the best "cushion", I have a 2012 with the 16" wheels and I see no reason to "fix" anything. It rides nice and as long as you don't over inflate the tires, the ride is as good as you're going to find on a small short wheelbase rig. If you want super plush luxury ride you better go find a Cadillac or an old Lincoln Town Car. The Soul has fairly "hard" seats (which I personally LIKE), and has a short wheelbase, and low profile tires. The best way to soften the ride would be to get 15 inch rims and use the highest profile tires you can find.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
Actually the White Tiger special edition was a + with Black 18s instead of the 16s. Maybe in a few years time Monroe will release Sensatrac struts and shock, but I don't think anything is available yet. Just be thankful it isn't a Sport, it would ride worse.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
The suspension however is the worst. I've driven a lot of different cars but this thing feels ridiculous. I've seen many threads about this, but all people talk about are the tires. Would it be possible to get a softer suspension? Does anyone know about costs for that? I've seen many complaints that the 2012 version still has a very stiff suspension as well.
have you checked the psi, it should be around 33 psi with the 18", it will be on the door post (set it cold). One of the most common problems that people have found is the psi has been set too high.

I have the 2012 with 18" rims and sports suspension, I don't find it bad for the size and weight of the vehicle.
Suggestions people have tried have been switching to the 16" tire and rim which is the same as the 18" tire and rim in overall diameter due to the tire wall size being narrow on the 18". Also some claim just switching to a different make of tire (mine are OEM Nexans) have made a big difference. As mentioned replacement cost on the 16" would be lower.
Just wondering because its a used model, have the previous owners done any modifications to the suspension.

I like my 18" rims, so will stick with the OEM's till such time they wear out.

here's a 16" rim

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul +
34 Posts
There are some chassis braces being made now and I'm working with a few suspension companies to help get some parts out to the market by years end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts