Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After only 36,000 miles and on the first dealer check, my Kia Soul Exclaim required rear axle shims to keep the tires from feathering. The rear axle is solid, and since all 4 tires are now feathered because of 5000 tire rotation, it is clear the car came out of the factory with a bad camber. The local Manager is calling it a routine maintenance item. In other words, buyers of new Kias should check to make sure the solid rear axles do not require shims to true up. Routine maintenance!! You have to be kidding.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The alignment adjustment is only warranted for 12K miles, in US. An issue there wold show itself before then. Tire rotation every 5K is standard maintenance requirement. Why would you bring this up so long after the alignment warranty is up? Still original tires?

·
Registered
2011 Soul
75 Posts
Even with routine rotation and balance, some issues take a long time to be really noticed. If you think you can see tire problems with this issue within 12k miles, you're wrong. It can and often does take much longer, unless the problem is really, really bad.

The point here is that the dealership is calling it "routine maintenance" when it obviously is not. And if it is, it means this happens on a routine basis. And if that's the case, Kia makes crappy cars.

My biggest gripe with Kia to date is parts and service. Parts never has any actual parts in stock. It's a 3 day wait for anything. Service seems like a bunch of lawnmower repair guys doing the best they can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kia Solid Rear Axle

12,000 miles is often not enough time to show a defect on the solid rear axle alignment that would compromise the tires, since it would more than that for the tires to become so feathered as to become useless and the interior noise to become so loud you can't hear normal conversation. A car should never come out of the factory with the rear axle out of alignment. However, it is apparently so common that the Kia mechanic himself told me that no one should buy a new Soul without putting it on the rack first to check the axle. Does that sound like a routine maintenance issue to you? I was also told that any consumer redress can't go beyond the Kia District level. Apparently, not even the CEO of Kia can overrule a decision made at the Kia District level. Unbelievable! And stupid!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,972 Posts
who did your tire rotations if done every 5000 miles that would be 7 tire rotations with 36000 miles on the vehicle and the problem wasn't noticed before now and yes it would seem to me as routine maintenance as somebody wasn't paying attention to the wear patterns of the tires .

·
Registered
2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)
2,878 Posts
Common sense here people

Did it ever occur to you people (jetech0001 excepted) that althou the term "routine maintainence" was used. And may leave a bad taste in your mouth hearing it and paying for it. A unfortunate life lesson was learned here today.
1)NORMAL adjustment period is yes 5K
2)Extended adjustment period was 12K in some cases to help customers out a bit on the limited 5K NORMAL
3)YOU GOT 36K on a 2011 vech with the 18 inch expensive tires on it.
4)It is MORE then fair to assume you WILL NOT have a leg to stand on if you did 5K rotations (lets see now 36K divided by 5K is 7.2 times) in that 36K.
5)This is NOT a RWD vech. It is a FWD vech. So what planet did you come in from recently to ever not think that normal tire feathering occurs on FRONT TIRES most on a FWD and rotating tires to BACK is the normal at 5K to minimize it for teh life of the tires. But putting rear tirs to front in doing this, DOES NOT MEAN the tires going forward are MORE fathered then the ones coming off FRONT! Theres was a problem WAY BEFORE 36K. Are you that big of a M***N?

So YES it will be ROUTINE MAINTAINANCE! to get the REAR AXLE SHIMMED due to tire feathering at 36K. And on YOUR DIME!

IF you could not take your HOOYA from rotation number 2 at 10K on till only 36K NOW and see TIRE FEATHERING of some sort before 12K and ALL FOUR now are FEATHERED! That is your problem, Not KIA'S. :whistling:

ASIDE: Yes it is not right a vech leaves factory "OUT OF SPEC" OR once here after shipping on a SHIP and TRUCK and RAILCAR or whatever it
is "OUT OF SPEC". But it happens all too often less so from the first and MORE from the second reason.
I and I am ONLY one person that maybe does this. Make it a point to TAKE IT BACK TO DEALER at 5K and get it put on a rake and checked for BREAK-IN lossening up and settleing of the suspension. IT IS FREE!!!!!!! and if they do it they certify at that time it was DEAD ON in SPEC. If not they FIX IT! to be for FREE! IF say no we do not do that for you then you get them to put that in WRITTING as such DATE/TIME/MILES that it is and sign it. Keep that paper and refer to it RIGHT NOW! at 36K with you ISSUE! of tire feathering and "ROUTINE MAINTAINENCE". YOU got one thing right thou. This whole thread is "UNBELIEVABLE" and "STUPID"!

·
Registered
2005 Elantra & 2012 Soul
135 Posts
Perhaps the 18 inch low profile tires & wheels transmit more shock load thru to the suspension adding to this condition?
I have a new 2012 soul plus with only about 1k miles so far and for me it is still too soon to get any real feedback on reliability, fit & finish and the vehicle ability to stay in spec.
I'm here in NY where the roads challenge most any car makers ability to hold an alignment.
I will however, defer to my beloved Hyundai elantras.
With 7 years on NY roads I never had to do an alignment.
That car never pulled nor did it ever wear the tires in an uneven manner!
I had bent the stock steelies on a number of occasions from potholes the size of a NY studio apartment.
Still the car never pulled or wore the tires unevenly.
My spider senses continue to tingle over this whole Kia purchase though.
The comfort I so enjoyed with every new Hyundai, I have yet to achieve with this new Kia.
Perhaps it is just too soon to enjoy the a fore mentioned comfort or perhaps Kia has just not risen to the level I believe Hyundai has enjoyed for years now.

·
Registered
2011 Soul
75 Posts
It's asinine to think this problem automatically shows up in a short time or in 5,000 or even 12,000 miles. That's just silly to even state it would.

I agree that Kia is not even close to Hyundai. Nowhere near. Hyundai is heads and shoulders better than Kia.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To 04Sorento4x: Your pig English and terrible spelling makes it impossible to understand the point you are trying to make, so it's clear who the moron is. However, I believe my point is clear--Kia Souls often come out of the factory with the SOLID REAR AXLES out of alignment, per the Kia mechanic, as did my brand new Kia Soul. Even if there was no effect on the tires, no Kia should ever come out of the facory with a mis-aligned rear axle. That should never fall under "routine maintenance." It is unrealistic to expect a new car buyer should have to take time out of his or her busy day to have a mechanic check to see if nuts and bolts aren't falling off and rear axles are starting to rip off after the first 5,000 miles. If that's what it takes, you're buying a junker.

·
Registered
2011 Soul
75 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with lancer here. A new car simply should not have this issue, whether at 5,000 miles or 50,000 miles. Any way you slice it, if it's "routine maintenance" for this, Kia's cars are pure sheeit.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,972 Posts
well again who did you tire rotations as this problem just didn't happen over night somebody wasn't paying attention you have 36000 miles on the car. i would suggest you do a 4 wheel alignment and go from there and keep a eye on the wear patterns yourself. i would suggest you call kia customer service and start a claim with them 800 333-4542 voice you concerns and they will address the problem. i did a search on the forum and i cant find anybody else with your problem most seem to be tracking problem pulling to right or left.i would also go to a different dealer and get a second opinion and good luck with your problem.

·
Registered
2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)
2,878 Posts
To lancer1945 and Rokker

Once again you do not listen. I clearly stated that yes it is sad for a new car to have this issue. I do not care what a KIA MECH told you. Many of THEM have no clue why something happens, just the less then helpful statments of THEY ALL DO THIS. Which is unacceptable and not a answer they should be telling you. I on the other hand TOLD you WHY it happens. Sticking your head in the sand tll 36K with worn tires as to WHY is YOUR PROBLEM GUYS. Yes in transit more and more light weight and made FUEL EFFICENT vechs get bent and out of spec on way to dealer lots. You wish one, you get the other as well. TRAINS, SHIPS, and CAR CARRIERS do damage. Unless you get one right off the line bad, what gets to you might not be what left the factory line totally in spec. You two can be ignorent all you like it still matters little to the rest of us. Go buy someting else please then and get maybe the same issues. These vechs these days are NOT 1965 Cadilac SEDAN DEVILES nor even 1996 CROWN VIC's. Not even are they really like a 2003-2009 Sorento. They can get bent when improperly shipped. Why do you think it is they ask you to come BACK AT 3K-5k for the FIRST SERVICE! So they can INSPECT the WHOLE vech for LOOSE BOLTS and NUTS. And make sure everything is still in spec or proper once the SHAKE DOWN (settleing in) 3K-5K miles are on it. But no, you mensa members say WHY DO I HAVE TO GO BACK at 3K-5K. This is whyn you two. You both go back to sticking your head in the sand now please. Teaching stupid is not my job these days ok. Even MB/BMW/AUDI you name it have issues like this for just the same reasons. Welcome to the real world now, not 1955-1992. Where you both live I take it. Next you will require a maker to stand behind the vech when you hit a pothole or curb too right? :rolleyes::wacko::thumbsup::clap:

·
Registered
226 Posts
A new car simply should not have this issue, whether at 5,000 miles or 50,000 miles. Any way you slice it, if it's "routine maintenance" for this, Kia's cars are pure sheeit.
It's not a new car at 50k miles. What if, after signing the papers on a brand new car, somebody leaves the dealer and hits a curb on the way home? Once you own a vehicle, it is yours. You are now responsible for it. There are various warranties to cover defects in materials and even adjustments up to 12/12. Kia still leads the industry with their warranty. Every manufacturer requires tire rotations as scheduled maintenance. Having worked in Kia dealerships as a technician for more than a decade, I have experience with this. Aside from this single, one sided, anecdote what is your experience with Kia?

·
Registered
2011 Soul
75 Posts
Having worked in Kia dealerships as a technician for more than a decade...
Well, that explains everything. No offense, and maybe you're the greatest technician to ever work in any shop, but the Kia techs I've seen would have trouble working on a weed eater, much less a car.

I've never owned a car that ever had a rear axle issue. Here's hoping that my Soul doesn't. It'll be going in for a 15k inspection soon, but really...Kia doesn't do much on any service other than the 60k. The 15k is basically worthless and WAY FREAKING OVERPRICED. It's 200 bucks for doing almost nothing but a rotate and balance of the tires and an oil change. I didn't see anything about them checking the car for anything else, such as the rear axle, loose bolts, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Scan Pro: I didn't buy the Soul used, I bought it new. It now has only 36,000 miles on it. The tire rotations were done by Discount Tire and it's not their job to try and figure out is solid axles are out of alignment, especially if the car is basically new. To 04SorentoLX: Whedder vechs done get bent during asemblies or shiping isnt ralavant. Kia is respansible for the car right to the delers lot. And a 5,000 mile check by any machanics isn't going to find a bad rear axel cause they woildn't check for that, being bent and sech, cause its not exspected and the tires wont show nothin yets.

·
Registered
2005 Elantra & 2012 Soul
135 Posts
Lancer...Dude...2 words for you!
1-Spell
2-Check
My warm and fuzzy feeling on my new soul purchase is slowly dissipating!
In all fairness though, a problem that has surfaced at 36,000 miles may or may not have been present at day of delivery.
Mix 18 inch wheels with crappy roads and of it will surely be born an eventual wheel alignment.
F.W.I.W...I don't see Kia doing a (complimentary) wheel alignment within the 12/12 period and not charge it back to the customer stating it as their fault in some way/shape/form. (Hoping I'm wrong but believing I'm right)
The "head in the sand" approach, something Hyundai has done from time to time over the years, has never sat well with me!
If Kia knows it has a problem from day 1, address it, correct it and win customers with forth righteousness and integrity!
I'm keeping a careful eye on my soul these days as the number of disgruntled owners grows.
I have been in several dealerships & service departments during the course of my shopping and they all seemed to be more make-shift than permanent, so I understand the lawn mower repair analogy.
With Hyundai's influence this car company is definitely on the way up and it took many years for Hyundai to get there themselves.
It will take perseverance by owners to keep them honest I fear and we shouldn't have to beat up the company we hired to protect us!
For me it's still too soon to tell but with each new post I read, I gain food for thought and ammunition for the fight, hoping that fight will never come!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sradiator: I don't need spell checker. I mispelled the second half of my post on purpose for the benefit of 04SorentoLX. If you read his posts, you'll know why. Duh.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Hi Scan Pro: I didn't buy the Soul used, I bought it new. It now has only 36,000 miles on it. The tire rotations were done by Discount Tire and it's not their job to try and figure out is solid axles are out of alignment, especially if the car is basically new. To 04SorentoLX: Whedder vechs done get bent during asemblies or shiping isnt ralavant. Kia is respansible for the car right to the delers lot. And a 5,000 mile check by any machanics isn't going to find a bad rear axel cause they woildn't check for that, being bent and sech, cause its not exspected and the tires wont show nothin yets.

You keep on saying your car is NEW. It is no way shape or form is it new any longer,IE: 36,000 miles. NO ONE is responsible for your tire wear,but YOU. No car company will warranty an alignment after 12,000. Maybe you hit a pot hole. we all hit them, and we all hope, NO damage was done. Maybe it was another family member that hit something, and never told you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts