Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a small sleeping trailer that has a queen size bed and very small kitchen, weights 800 pounds for my wife and I to do road trips in. We both love to travel. I now drive a 2004 Pontiac Vibe that has a 1,500 trailer towing capacity. I'm older and it is getting hard for me to get in and out of this car. It seems so odd that a 12 year old subcompact car can pull a trailer and none of the new subcompact new models can. If any of you have any thoughts on this please share them with me. I wish all of you a Happy New Year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Kia can tow up to 1,500 lbs I recall. The Kia has plenty of power for your needs. Make sure you get a good trailer hitch and the hitch and trailer are aligned. I try to get class III equipment but that may be in excess of your towing requirements. Stopping distances will be greater.

It is much easier to get i and out of the Kia because it is several inches higher than the Pontiac I would guess.

I got rid of a Camry for the same reason of harder to get in and out of.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just acquired a 2011 Soul, and I mentioned to the salesman that I intended to tow an 800 lb. trailer. He came back with a weight limit of 2000 lbs.
I know there is a company called Curt that makes a bolt on class 1 receiver hitch which will be perfect for both your application and mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I built a homemade trailer 750#

I built a square trailer on a 2 jet ski trailer conversion. The trailer measures 4 foot wide and 8 foot deep. it took me about 6 months to build it. I’m currently starting a second one with a pop up roof, going to build it out of mostly foam boards to make it lighter for a friend.

I’ll post a photo shortly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Towing

We have a 2010 Soul with the 2.0 engine and automatic. I ordered a hitch from etrailer.com and it was easy to put on. Have towed a 16 ft utility trailer several times with it, hauling lumber, moving etc. The hitch is a 3/4 inch receiver type and I ordered the ball mount with a 3 in drop and reversed it to make it a little higher. It will change you fuel mileage, but not by a lot.

Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know I was dissuaded from installing a hitch on my 2015 Base when I read the owner's manual. I guess there were changes made to the chassis by 2015?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Why are we bringing back to live a dead topic from Dec 2018, just to answer a question that OP forgot that he asked?

PS: The book doesn't say how long you can pull that trailer.
Sooner you will find out that a 4 cylinder engine and a small transmission have their limits. At the minimum I would add a small auxiliary transmission cooler, like all the "trailer-rated" SUV packages.

1 - 8 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
9 Participants
SoNic67
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing