Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kia soul 1.6 2010
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car runs fine, then it just shut down, when I start it it is miss fireing and will only go to about 4000rpm. I Took in for repair and they told me the rings are faulty and I did the engine. Piston rings and all. To my se price when I got it back today it still do the same. So I lost R18000 on that. What can it be.

·
Registered
Kia Soul!, 2011
132 Posts
Did you have any codes to indicate misfire? Was that code on specific cylinders?

The troubleshooting before doing the piston rings it would be to measure the compression with a simple compression tester. Was that done before and after?
This the kit that I bought for myself (USA store): Compression Test Kit 8 Pc.

After that is done you should check spark plugs (they are cheap, just replace them), spark wires (again cheap enough to be replaced), spark coils, injectors...

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,607 Posts
The car runs fine, then it just shut down, when I start it it is miss fireing and will only go to about 4000rpm. I Took in for repair and they told me the rings are faulty and I did the engine. Piston rings and all. To my se price when I got it back today it still do the same. So I lost R18000 on that. What can it be.
Who did the "repair" - based on the limited information you provide, it's my guess it wasn't a qualified reputable service shop, and would be even more surprised if it was a Kia dealership.

Have you told the service shop that they owe you for the flawed diagnostics? (doesn't sound like they did any diagnostics).

What can it be - it could be a wide range of things, but the stored error codes would be a start.

·
Registered
Kia soul 1.6 2010
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure they did not do a good diagnostics test. Had no prusure in piston 2 and 4. Can it be the grancsaft position sensor. That's the only part that are still the old part. I drove today and it was all good. Yesterday it died like in 5 times. Thanks for the reply.

• No codes on misfire.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,607 Posts
I'm sure they did not do a good diagnostics test. Had no prusure in piston 2 and 4. Can it be the grancsaft position sensor. That's the only part that are still the old part. I drove today and it was all good. Yesterday it died like in 5 times. Thanks for the reply.

• No codes on misfire.
That is very unusual for it to die without storing an error code - what code reader are you using?

If the compression was bad on cylinders 2 and 4, did they confirm if that was due to piston rings or valves? - a wet and dry compression test is what they should have done.

Did they only replace the rings without doing the head?

I'll ask again, who is doing this work?

·
Registered
Kia soul 1.6 2010
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The head was done by an engineer. engin strip by a local workshop. They sed no pressure from the rings. So they did pistons, rings and bearings. I will ask them what code reader they use.

·
Super Moderator
10,607 Posts
The head was done by an engineer. engin strip by a local workshop. They sed no pressure from the rings. So they did pistons, rings and bearings. I will ask them what code reader they use.
So it wasn't a Kia dealership then.

You'll need to go back the the service shop that you paid to do this work and have them perform diagnostics and fix it at no additional cost - if you were a DIY person we could have helped you through this, but I don't see that working when it looks like you've used an incompetent service shop and relaying messages from and to them.

·
Super Moderator
10,607 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts