Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Soul lx
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My manuals tell me to get, from the dealer, the key code tag, and or the key code. My 2011 and my 2016 new car purchases did not have the codes entered into the paperwork. My request got the response from each dealer, that they would retain the code.

When I suggested that my journeys go far from urban areas, and a local locksmith may be able to help if I have the codes, they said use your roadside assistance.

I have experienced being way in the wilderness with insects all over me, with a car needing help a couple of times. Believe me, it's a long, long wait to get out, get to a phone (not much cell coverage in our wilds) and it's a long wait for service to come way back into the wilds.

Most often, this is nearer to civilization, but the main question is:

Why do the dealers try to block the good service policy advice of Kia, by keeping information such as the codes, from the customer? It definitely makes me wary of motives.

Has anyone an experience of how to get around the block, like going to the corporate office, for such issues?

I really feel that the dealers are blocking my wish to take the advice of Kia Canada.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Do you think it is a good idea for any dealership to just hand out key codes? What, just call them, read off a vin#, and they give it to you? ANYONE can get your vin#, it's in plain sight for any one to walk by your car and get it. THEN STEAL YOUR CAR. There are laws preventing us (new car dealerships) from doing this........
All you have to do is walk into the parts dept. of ANY Kia dealership with photo ID, and prove of ownership and they will give it to you. Not hard to do.....
This is how it works in the USA.....
Not sure of Canada..

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,537 Posts
where are you in Canada - please fill out your location. The key tag number is not recorded on the bill of sale, at least not on mine, the tag was attached to my key fob when I bought the car.

Do you plan on loose both sets of keys at the same time?

Which model of Soul are you driving (please fill out your drive details too) The more info we have the better we can help you.

I agree with Cobra259, just go to your dealer in person to get the number.

·
Registered
2016 Soul lx
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Indeed, I asked this during the key hand-over, face to face, with all sorts of i.d. paperwork in hand, and I'd applied for the code issue to the sales person several days earlier, and again it was face to face with lots of i.d. documents which they coppied, and had originals on file, and processed. So your suggestion that I might be expecting too much is a little presumptuous. But I thank you for the reply. I haven't read Cobra's reply yet, as yours is the top on the list.

·
Registered
2016 Soul lx
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Ontario.
They did not attach the key tag, and when I asked for it, they said if I have trouble such that I need it, call roadside assistance. Which was the response of the other purchase five years before.

As to the foolishness of "planning" to lose both, somewhere in the manuals or in the sales talk, there was reference to not having two key units in the vehicle. That seems strange, given that spouses may each have one while riding in the car. But that was covered. As a former locksmith, I know that "stuff'" happens, like leaving one set in the hotel room, and the other falls down the sewer while you're fumbling with baggage.

The vehicle is an LX

To repeat, the two requests were made at the two sales meetings.
I also asked about just a plain blank for entry only, as I spend a lot of time in a kayak, and there's a lot of water risk. No good answer on that one either; which makes me feel the dealer isn't helpful and I need to go to a locksmith to read the codes and get a blank cut as well.

It's just that the dealer, in my opinion, and as reflected in paperwork, should give me that information, especially since I twice brought it up, face to face, even giving my list of questions on a paper in the salesperson's hand.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
which model of LX is it the MT or AT? MT does not have remote keyless entry AT does.

I have the smart key with my model as I have the SX, but whenever we go anywhere my wife takes her key too, she just can't leave her purse in the car when we exit, otherwise I can't lock it. I had a 2012 Soul with the keyless entry so did not have that problem with that set up.

You can get a blank cut of the keyless entry key fob (never done it myself) but as you say it can only be used for entry only, handy if you want to leave the keyless entry fob in the vehicle.

Just so you know Cobra259 is a KIA parts guy located in Michigan, maybe he can give you the code for the key blank. I know I had a code of KK8-9 but not sure if this will cover the newer models as the key design as got more more elaborate to what it used to be. I know the members over on the Kia Soul forum have had blanks cut for there Soul's Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners Join us over there as its very active and lots of Canadians on it.

·
Registered
2016 Soul lx
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
model of LX is AT

Not a Smart Key.

I do want just a plain entry key, even though I don't like to have to leave a fob in the vehicle.

Today I again contacted, by phone, this time, the dealer sales person as I'm missing the flushmount cover for the emergency tailgate handle. I re-pressed my wish to have the key code, and the dealer manager told the salesperson that when I pick up the cover, I can pick up the code.

So, it seems resolved at this point. Just a matter of time for confirmation.

·
Registered
2016 Soul lx
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still learning.
I thought this is the Soul forum.
Thanks for the link.
I'll see if my login is the same.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Still learning.
I thought this is the Soul forum.
Thanks for the link.
I'll see if my login is the same.
this one was the original but the other was a spin-off from this (no idea why) but it's far more active than this one. You will see my same log-in name (I use the same on all auto forums) but I think it may require a new password set up in order to post on it as they had some extensive spam on there not too long ago and they had to remove everyones password so you had to create a new one.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
can't help you with logon details, but maybe contact the site moderator by going to here:

Kia Soul Owners Forums and click on Contact Us, under Site Navigation on the right side

your user name on here is not used on that forum, so unless you were using a different name you are not registered on that forum.

My password on this forum is not the same as the one I use on the Kia Soul Forum, its independent so it requires a new registration.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Don't ask the Sales dept anything. Ask the parts manager for your key code IN PERSON. It's that easy.........

·
Registered
3 Posts
went by local dealer and they said no to giving me my code with I’d, the car and wanted to charge me 75 dollars to cut my new one

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,829 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts