Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Kia Sorrento and I am having electrical problems with it. I have replaced numerous headlights & foglights, battery was replaced, horn was replaced, dome light has gone out, one of the seat warmers is intermitent and so on. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and do you have any suggestions. I live in florida and am thinking about lemon lawing it but it is never one thing wrong over and over again, except for the headlights. The dealer said they would replace one headlight bulb and warranty it from them but they would charge $120 per headlight. That is a joke. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. You can email me @ [email protected]
Thanks

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues with you Sorento. The only electrical issue I ever had with my 04 Sorento LX was the dash lights going out. The dimmer switch was replaced and so far so good. If you go in for the same issue over and over they should not be ready to charge you because it is an on going issue. Im sorry I cant help ya out anymore. Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an '03 and I've had numerous electrical problems. For a few weeks the wipers were just crazy, they had a mind of their own, and often wouldn't turn off until I turned the engine off, then one day, there were fine. My passenger side tail light is and on-again off-again problem, sometimes it's on sometimes not, we've replaced it 3 times now (had the truck for a year). Two says last week my dome light wouldn't come on when the door opened, but on the third day, it was fine. I haven't been able to have any service department look at any of these things because by the time I can arrange to get it in, they've resolved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an '03 Sorento that I took to my dealer for service at 57,000 miles we wanted a full oil and transmission and filter service because we were close to the end of our warranty. When we picked up the car after service, we noticed immediately that when we stepped on the brakes the dash lights would flash on. We went right back and they said something must have been disconnected during trans service. They took it back to fix it. We picked it up and it was still happening and I was following my husband and realized that the brake lights were on all the way home. The dealer said to bring it back. On the way back the brake lights didn't work at all and the cruise control did not work. This time they gave us a loaner and kept it for a week but it was still having the same crazy electrical problems when we picked it up. We went back and they put us in a loaner again and this time it was more than a month. They tried several fixes and nothing worked. They decided to replace the entire wiring harness. They ripped out the dash and disconnected every electrical wire in the car. When they tried to install the new wiring harness the only harness listed for the '03 in the parts manual did not fit. They said they would have to have one made in the factory in Korea and it would take 4 to 6 week more. At this point we decided we did not want that car back since they could not guarantee that the new harness would fix it. The corporate office got involved and helped us get into an new '05 Sorento model at the same pmt with no money out of our pocket. We agreed to that settlement. We have now had the '05 model since Nov. 04. The clock has malfunctioned since we drove it off the lot and we started having transmission problems 2 weeks later. We have taken it back several times for repair and now they say that it needs a new transmission. They have replaced the clock three times and it still does not work and they have replaced parts in the transmission twice and it still is not working properly. We have had enough of KIA!

·
Registered
78 Posts
WOW!!!

I cant believe all the small concentration of similar issues here. I thought that the engine trouble we had the other day was annoying, but geez that is NOTHING in comparison.

I really feel for you that have had these issues, especially the last post by OCgrassgirl, YIKES what a predicament.

For you to experience two flukes, consecutively is nothing short of amazing. I really think it is a case of a monday morning/friday afternoon build with the vehicles that have issues, because the two Kias we own, I couldnt be happier with the quality and the vehicle itself. Have been very surprised and impressed, which is why I am in a second Kia now.

I have been around a lot of different makes, and every manufacturer has their build flaws, and quality glitches, some unfortunately occur more often than others. I truly hope that Kia isnt slipping back into old tendancies of 10+ years ago, when they were a start up here in the US.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 Sorrento and have replaced about 8 headlamps in the last 12-14 months. 3 in the last 6 weeks. When one lamp goes out, I replace it and then the other side goes out. I have taken it in to the dealership several times but they say there is no electrical problem. Has any one else had this problem?

Also, when I back out of a parking space or make a sharp turn, a loud pop occurs in the front. I do a lot of incity driving and so it happens fairly frequently but inconsistenly. The last time I took it in, they were able to get it to pop once but could not fix it because they needed it to pop again. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm tired of replacing headlamps and hearing noises that aren't supposed to be there.

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
concerning electrical problems on sorentos, may i suggest two things check your charging system voltage mine is stable at at 14.3-14.4 volts
your may have to check it many times too high a voltage will shorten bulb life

also to the left side of the electrical distrbution box next to the battery is a heavy battery groung to the body, mine was very questionable as to it ability to carry current

the clamp area of the cable on the body was painted and so were the threads holes and the bolt had some sort of coating on it. i took care of that problem quickly

bad grounds can cause all sots of weird problems

oppoiste side of the vehicle close to the air filter box in plain veiw are a couple of additional ground wires, make sure they are tight, these are smaller wires

·
Banned
417 Posts
I keep telling everyone to stay away from the Kia service Dept.s because they are really worthless and have caused people a lot of harm to their Sorentos trying to learn to fix things. Some may be the lucky ones and have a Kia service Dept. that can solve problems but most of what I have read and what I found at my Kia service Dept. leads me to say find other places to take your Sorento. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts

I agree as an multi-discipline Engineer the problems of lights blowing out prematurely is normally because of the voltage is too high or has too much AC content which means your alternator/generator is over charging the system and ahs poor DC rectification and posssibly this along with Bad /poor / inadequate earthing of the body/electrical system can cause even higher instantaneous voltages which light bulbs also dont like. [try putting a 1.5 volt torch light bulb in a 12 volt torch!]
This inadequate earthing also cause strange happenings in the vehicle such as lights in the dash etc not working especially since having a gearbox out points to inadequate replacement of eart strap to the gearbox and chassis.
If a earth cant go the normal quickest easiestm route back to the electrical system then it WILL find its way back eventually thru which ever at the time provides a passage of electricity,usually this is not a major problem untill this new route has to convey more than a dash light ie- 0.5 amps!
If this route is subject to higher current loads then you can "FRY" a lot of electrical and TOAST any electronic devices. :
Recommend that all electrical problems be carefully checked by a reputable Auto Electrician in conjunction with the Kia Dealership-
That is -if they can't fix after 2 visit,get them to so pay for a person that can as part of the "So Called" Kia warranty!!!
:gunsmilie:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to say be careful -- most of my electrical problems seemed to resolve themselves as well (my horn only worked sometimes, my dome light didn't go on when the passenger door was open or flashed uncontrolably, etc.) however, I would advise you to take your car in to the dealer! Eventually, these problems will become permanent and in the case of my horn, it was almost too late!

BTW, I have read alot on this site about Kia warranties not covering some problems and I am shocked! I don't know if it is different in Canada or what but EVERYTHING bumper to bumper (literally) is covered on mine. I didn't buy a car -- I bought a warranty!!!

Lisa

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to add my $0.02....

We have a 2004 Sorento EX with about 39000 miles on it. In the last 2 months both brake lights have gone out, the clock intermittently resets whenever we hit a very minor bump, the washer fluid pump is intermittent (front and back), and the right front low beam headlight went out.

I replaced the bulbs. The dealer replaced the clock last week. A washer pump is on back order and will be installed tomorrow.

From the comments above I'll have them check the ground-to-chassis contacts and the alternator.

This looks like a great board.

Paul.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Failed to fix it? How many clocks have you had replaced? There was a problem with the '03 clocks and then the problem returned for '05 though the units were completely different.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All,

I have had the same electrical problems on my 2003 Sorento EX Luxe, built in January 2003. I suspect there was a batch of 03 Sorentos on which defective components were installed or fell victim to a manufacturing process problem related with the installation of grounding straps.

Looks like the problem(s) may have also occured on some 04's.

Could everyone that have had electrical problems with their Sorento state when it was built? The information is shown on the manufaturing plate located on the driver side doorstep. This may help us focus Kia's attention, if they haven't already keyed in on the issue.

My dealer mentioned that Kia is aware of the electrical problem, but have not been able to pinpoint the cause yet.

Best regards,
Ron in Montreal, Canada

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2004 Sorento EX with Lux Package that I bought new in November 2003. It has about 14k miles. (My husband usually drives us around in his Santa Fe - or I drive his for "dirty" trips to Home Depot or Lowes. :p

I love my Sorento and it has been relatively trouble-free - until two weeks ago when all of my bulbs started burning out.

First, both fog lights burn out at the same time. The dealer charged me about $75 to replace both bulbs. The very next day, my driver side brake light burns out. The dealer fixes it - but charges me anyway - saying it was just "coincidental". While still at the dealership, I noticed one fog light is way brighter than the other. The service manager has a technician to look at it. They tell me the reflecter has melted so that the bulb is pointing downward. While they have my Sorento up on the lift to show me the problem, the tech guy touches the reflector and POW that fog light burns out. So, they replaced it on the spot (no charge - gee thanks).

The very next day, one of my tag lights burns out. (arrrg). Dealer fixes it and charges me anyway - same rationale! That night when I arrive home, my husband notices that the OTHER tag light is burned out. Today, my husband notices that the entire stop light and brake light is burned out on the passenger side.

Today, my husband calls the dealer and sets an appointment for this Thursday. He told me that the dealer is going to run an electrical test to see if there is a voltage problem or a problem with the alternator. Does anyone have any suggestions?

:liebe011:

Katahn

·
Registered
3 Posts
While the Sorento has a history of premature bulb burn out your story is on the severe side. It does sound appropriate for them the check the charging system to make sure you don't have a high voltage situation.

Paul.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
That's good that they are going to do a charging system test. If they find a problem (which will be with the battery) you need to demand that you get your money back for all of the blown bulbs. The problem with the vehicle is the reason your bulbs are blowing, which makes the bulbs covered under warranty. If they blew because they were old, that's not covered, but the bulbs blowing is as a result of a warranty-covered problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 EX sorento and the clock , keyless entry has stopped working and the aircon fan wont turn down stays on level 3 or above. All of these problems occurred at the same time. Has anyone else had these problems.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
1,293 Posts
If you put your fingers on the bulb they will burn out very quickly. Use a white rag and some windex to clean if you touch the bulb.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts