Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to buy a new vehicle and the Sorento is pretty close to what we need but we are comparing some other vehicles in that size/range.

We were looking at things like V6, AWD, tow package, backup camera etc and the 2013 Kia we looked at was like $37k which works out a little more than the Highlander with many of the same options and is a little over the budget of where I want to be (30k to 34k maybe).

Many of you may be more researched on this than me so I thought I would get your input. If you had to do it all over again and couldn't pick a Sorento, what would be your second choice?

Do you recommend any builds that would give us decent options with the kia but avoid being too expensive?

·
Registered
156 Posts
We are looking to buy a new vehicle and the Sorento is pretty close to what we need but we are comparing some other vehicles in that size/range.

We were looking at things like V6, AWD, tow package, backup camera etc and the 2013 Kia we looked at was like $37k which works out a little more than the Highlander with many of the same options and is a little over the budget of where I want to be (30k to 34k maybe).

Many of you may be more researched on this than me so I thought I would get your input. If you had to do it all over again and couldn't pick a Sorento, what would be your second choice?

Do you recommend any builds that would give us decent options with the kia but avoid being too expensive?
While the Kia may sticker at $37K you should be able to get it much cheaper like in the low 30's range. Also with those options you don't have to buy an SX. I traded in my Sorento for a Highlander Limited AWD V6 a few months ago. While it has a lot more options than what you listed it stickered at $39,366. Got pretty much everything escept Nav on it. What you're looking at is the price for an SX. You could knock off about 4 to $5K on a cheaper model.

Personally while I liked the Sorento, I didn't love it. Could not get used to the harsh ride, the little legroom in the second row, and all the rattles. The Highlander is much more luxurious, I believe it's about 5 inches longer, More second row legroom because the seats are on a rail so it can be moved forward for more cargo room and backward for tall people, has an incredibly smooth quiet ride, so far no rattles, and also rated the most reliable Mid Sized SUV by Consumer Reports. I suggest you actually go test drive both before you go any further.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
Quite the contrary...

The look of the Toyota Highlander and its expensive window sticker, along with their high interest rate is what kept me from buying the Highlander instead of the Sorento

If you found a good deal for the Highlander fully loaded, and it works out to be cheaper than the Sorento then by all means go for it, it's been on the market longer, so it's been tested and true.

Personally I like the Sorento more, it has everything that I need, and it's tune for a sporty ride, the Highlander is tuned more for family oriented vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 2.4 w/Manual 6spd
273 Posts
CarLover is bang on, good info. We love our Sorento because we got an amazing deal, and the base LX trim comes loaded for great value. Once you move to the higher trim levels we find the Sorento to be WAY overpriced, unless you can negotiate that figure down.

The Highlander also isn't cheap, but if you compare similar price points I'd go with the Highlander, it has the better resale and is the proven powertrain and overall design. It came out in 2008, so is due for a complete redesign in 2014 so you might be able to get a sweet deal on current model. It has rock solid reliability and refinement, and to me its actually not in the same class as it is significantly longer with a standard 3rd row seating, whereas the Sorento is smaller and the 3rd row is just an option and not a central component.

I love our Sorento but with AWD and V6 I would take my $40,000 and check out the Highlander or Honda Pilot. Also the redesigned Pathfinder with be out this fall, and the new long-wheelbase Hyundai Santa Fe is due out soon as well with a standard 3rd row. Not an easy decision no matter what you're buying with all the competitors, often it comes down to who is willing to offer you the best deal and stand behind the product.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts

would help us if we knew were you were located (please fill out your location profile), prices and features vary from country to country.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
679 Posts
Make a list of features that you must have or that you really want. Determine whether each model has those and compare all models being considered. For example, do you like sporty ride or a family ride? Is an automatic tailgate a must-have feature...Sorento doesn't have one.

It also comes down to personal preferences. This made be some styling queue that just turns you off.

If cost is the major factor, it makes it clear cut. However, with all the options on different models, you have to make sure you know and are looking at similar models to ensure the pricing is right. Don't forget to include incentives and financing deals. Gotta love those 0% deals!

Best advice is to try them all out yourself. In the end, it's you and/or your significant other that will have to live with your decision...probably for a while.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quite the contrary...

The look of the Toyota Highlander and its expensive window sticker, along with their high interest rate is what kept me from buying the Highlander instead of the Sorento

If you found a good deal for the Highlander fully loaded, and it works out to be cheaper than the Sorento then by all means go for it, it's been on the market longer, so it's been tested and true.

Personally I like the Sorento more, it has everything that I need, and it's tune for a sporty ride, the Highlander is tuned more for family oriented vehicle.
I guess to each his own. I happen to think the Highlander is the best looking mid size out there. Not to say that the Sorento isn't also a very good looking car. It's looks were what drew me to it when I bought my 2011. Also I felt it was an outstanding value, but I just never was crazy for the thing. First car in my entire life that I didn't love for at least a couple of years. I knew the day we traded our beautiful 2004 Mountaineer that I had made a mistake. Oh well, even at 56 you can still learn a lesson.

Toyota has been offering 0% financing since at least May off and on. I took the $1K rebate at the time over the 0% because I still got 2.49% for 36 months which cost less over the life of the loan. I got the vehicle $500 below invoice and I am sure that as we are getting into fall the deals on the remaining 2012's will be even better. As has been suggested he needs to look at all brands and don't lock in on one vehicle because it seems like a great value. I never thought I would ever buy a Toyota and I think there is a very slim chance I will ever buy a Honda. At heart I am always going to be a Ford guy. Sometimes a great value doesn't translate into a happy owner.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
Highlander ranges from $28,240 to approximately $37,195 or more if hybrid which is not available with the Sorento

Sorento range is from $23,150 to $35,600 (SX with premium pack)

difference in the warranty:
Highlander: basic 36mo/36,000 miles, powertrain 60 mo/ 60,000 miles
Sorento: basic 60 mo/60,000 miles; powertrain 120 mo/ 100,000 miles

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
679 Posts
It's very personal. That's why I chose the Sorento. I test drove and compared prices before making my decision and chose the Sorento...every time I get in...I smile :).

Best advice...test drive them yourself...you'll have to live with it a while. Test drive them more than once. Ask a dealer if you can use one for a day or a weekend. Might be a hard sell. Or maybe rent one from a rental agency or a dealer. It's a small amount of money for a very large purchase that you may have for 3, 5 or maybe 10 years. I kept my last 2 cars, a Jeep Cherokee Limited and a Santa Fe for 10 years each and I intend to keep my Sorento for 10 years...at least.

As for the 0% or 2.49% over 3 years...was the 0% better? Wouldn't the interest charges for a $30,000 loan at 2.49% be $747 in interest each year?

I had a quick look at the Canadian price builder for both the Highlander and Sorento...did not see if they both had comparable features...just a quick show me the top of the line price:

HIGHLANDER 4WD V6 LIMITED Standard Package- $52,895.30
Sorento 2012 SX - $44,554.77
Sorento 2013 SX - $45,458.77

That's a $7,336.53 price difference...more if you include financing cost differences.

Pricing calculator for 2.49% on Highlander - monthly: $1,526.40 x 36 = 54950.40
Pricing calculator for 0% - monthly: $1,469.31 x 36 = 52895.30
54950.40 - 52895.30 = 2055.10

You can do the same thing with the trim leve/options your considering.

These were with all charges and taxes...there is a 13% sales tax in Ontario. Make sure to include all additional charges and taxes in comparison. I think they call this the "walk out the door price" or the "all-in" price.

I don't work or have anything to do with Kia...trying to help.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's very personal. That's why I chose the Sorento. I test drove and compared prices before making my decision and chose the Sorento...every time I get in...I smile :).

Best advice...test drive them yourself...you'll have to live with it a while. Test drive them more than once. Ask a dealer if you can use one for a day or a weekend. Might be a hard sell. Or maybe rent one from a rental agency or a dealer. It's a small amount of money for a very large purchase that you may have for 3, 5 or maybe 10 years. I kept my last 2 cars, a Jeep Cherokee Limited and a Santa Fe for 10 years each and I intend to keep my Sorento for 10 years...at least.

As for the 0% or 2.49% over 3 years...was the 0% better? Wouldn't the interest charges for a $30,000 loan at 2.49% be $747 in interest each year?

I had a quick look at the Canadian price builder for both the Highlander and Sorento...did not see if they both had comparable features...just a quick show me the top of the line price:

HIGHLANDER 4WD V6 LIMITED Standard Package- $52,895.30
Sorento 2012 SX - $44,554.77
Sorento 2013 SX - $45,458.77

That's a $7,336.53 price difference...more if you include financing cost differences.

Pricing calculator for 2.49% on Highlander - monthly: $1,526.40 x 36 = 54950.40
Pricing calculator for 0% - monthly: $1,469.31 x 36 = 52895.30
54950.40 - 52895.30 = 2055.10

You can do the same thing with the trim leve/options your considering.

These were with all charges and taxes...there is a 13% sales tax in Ontario. Make sure to include all additional charges and taxes in comparison. I think they call this the "walk out the door price" or the "all-in" price.

I don't work or have anything to do with Kia...trying to help.
First off your calculations are off because you are not factoring in the $1000 less I paid because of the rebate. Another, which you are unaware of, is that I put down $22,000 between the trade and a little cash. Also you don't know how much my actual OTD was. Believe me I calculated and re-calculated and also had the finance guy do it and it was less in monthly payment going the rebate and the 2.49%. Only a person with a perfect credit history and score, mine is 830, will qualify for either rate. Mine was gotten from the bank not Toyota. Now maybe if he is putting no money down it would be higher. My Loan was $14789 at 2.49% = $426/mo and without rebate it would be $15789 at 0% it would have been $438/mo. I suggest he use Edmunds or Bankrate.com to compare. Most will tell you to take the cash if you can qualify for a low rate. I think your figures are correct for that much of a loan, but I would never have a payment that high and more than 3 years. Save your money so you can put down as much as possible. My Fusion was paid off in 17 months because I put down half in cash (No Trade) and was fortunate enough to be able to pay it off early. I plan on paying the Toyota off in about the same amount of time.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
679 Posts
Oops, forgot about trade in values and such. CarLover, you're correct...it depends on the best deal you can get.

If the original poster is down to these two, maybe he can try and get a bidding war. Tell each dealer you're working with that it's down to the best deal between the two and they need to come up with their best offer.

Good luck in your decision making...I'm sure you'll be happy regardless of which you choose.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra,2008 Impala LT
98 Posts
Lots of good advice here.Both good vehicles just get down to what will work for you.Buyers remorse is a terrible thing and can cost you money in time,been there done it.Good luck!

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
Highlander ranges from $28,240 to approximately $37,195 or more if hybrid which is not available with the Sorento

Sorento range is from $23,150 to $35,600 (SX with premium pack)

difference in the warranty:
Highlander: basic 36mo/36,000 miles, powertrain 60 mo/ 60,000 miles
Sorento: basic 60 mo/60,000 miles; powertrain 120 mo/ 100,000 miles
that's exactly what made me choose the Sorento, even though i knew the Highlander had better gas mileage on paper

just the price alone, 0% financing and the warranty, plus being fully loaded was an easy sell for me

on top of that i got another $1000+ rebate, that was just cherry on the top

·
Registered
156 Posts
that's exactly what made me choose the Sorento, even though i knew the Highlander had better gas mileage on paper

just the price alone, 0% financing and the warranty, plus being fully loaded was an easy sell for me

on top of that i got another $1000+ rebate, that was just cherry on the top
The Highlander V6 does not get as good gas mileage as the Sorento. My Highlander is rated at 17 city/22 Highway. The FWD is a little better. The Hybrid is rated I think at 27 or 28 Highway less in city driving. Unless you buy one with a 4 cylinder which is very difficult to find and would be a real dog in a vehicle of this weight. Also you can only get the Hybrid in a Limited and unless you are willing to be looking in the +$40K range don't even bother. Toyota equips the vehicles pretty much the same depending on the region of the country. In Ohio it's difficult to find anything but AWD, with Tow prep, Floor Mats, and JBL Stereo which includes 8 speakers & subwoofer, 6 disc CD Changer in a limited. Those start at $39K +. Add in Navigation and you're over $41K. I had to have the dealership get mine from a Dealership about 2 hours from here because I didn't want the Navigation and thats all they had in the limited. I would rather spend $200 max for a Garmin and save $2K on the vehicle which is what I did. Anyway just take your time looking and repeatedly test driving and going over each vehicle closely. That's the mistake I made when I bought my Sorento. I test drove many, but limited it to smaller Suvs for other brands. I think I was just too quick to judge my purchase based on the value and warranty. You might get a longer warranty, but the Toyota is a proven winner.

·
Registered
'12 EX GDI w/Prem
51 Posts
Per Consumer Reports road tests. Sorento EX V6 AWD - 14 city, 26 hw. Highlander Limited V6 AWD - city 13, hw 26. They drive the cars over a standard route to check gas mileage. Highlander weighs about 400lbs more than Sorento so that would probably be the city difference. Yes the EPA numbers are different but CR get their's on a real road route. As usual, your mpg could be different

·
Registered
156 Posts
I see where CR rates it, but I own a Highlander Limited AWD V6 and and believe me you will never get 26 unless your going down hill with a strong tail wind. We get about 16 to 17 city and have gotten up to 23.5 Highway using cruise control set at 70mph which I was ecstatic about. Could be that CR only drives 55mph on their test. Google government mileage ratings. I think what they are showing is the wide variance you could get, but being a participant in a Toyota only forum it is so rare for someone to get that. Your talking about a 4500lb vehicle. Maybe the 4 banger gets that. I just don't want this guy to go in thinking that's what he will get because I am 99% sure he won't. If you are worried about fuel effeciency buy the Sorento. I have no idea where CR got this, but real world forget it. Fact is the vehicle is rated 17/22.

·
Registered
'12 EX GDI w/Prem
51 Posts
I see where CR rates it, but I own a Highlander Limited AWD V6 and and believe me you will never get 26 unless your going down hill with a strong tail wind. We get about 16 to 17 city and have gotten up to 23.5 Highway using cruise control set at 70mph which I was ecstatic about. Could be that CR only drives 55mph on their test. Google government mileage ratings. I think what they are showing is the wide variance you could get, but being a participant in a Toyota only forum it is so rare for someone to get that. Your talking about a 4500lb vehicle. Maybe the 4 banger gets that. I just don't want this guy to go in thinking that's what he will get because I am 99% sure he won't. If you are worried about fuel effeciency buy the Sorento. I have no idea where CR got this, but real world forget it. Fact is the vehicle is rated 17/22.
Just like I'll never see the 32mpg my GDI is rated except for downhill with a tail wind. Consumer Reports test of the GDI AWD got 28 highway, same as EPA. No way that the AWD system causes a 4mpg drop as EPA says. But still, these are CR's actual road test readings over their route they use for all their tests. Maybe they bought a good one, like these people on here that get 32 in their Sorento.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento EX
6 Posts
I test drove both the Highlander and the Sorento before buying. I also looked at Explorer and Durango. I'm a power guy who likes to have some acceleration when I punch the gas pedal and the Sorento seemed to have the best pick up and go even with about 100 hp less than the Durango. I have a 2012 EX with all the packages and options and the price was 34,500. The ride is kind of stiff, but this is an SUV, if you want comfort buy a sedan or a minivan. The Sorento also has a good offroad reviews and a locking differential which is the key.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 Dark Cherry/Black. EX V6 Premiun Package and Interior Lighting Kit.
83 Posts
I spent about 4mo looking over all the SUV's.
Test drove them as well.
I picked the Sorento cause to me if felt very solid, the V6 has a real good punch/pickup and while its a stiff ride, this will smooth out a bit over time and if your hauling a good load that will smooth it out as well.
I got the 2012 EX V6, panaramic sunroof option. Also got $1500 bonus cash. So I paid $30,150 for mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We looked at the GMC Acadia also which seems like a pretty solid choice. By the time you spec them all to V6, 3rd row seating, tow package, and backup camera etc. they are all in the ballpark of 36k. I kind of liked the 2nd row bucket seats in the GMC because it makes it way easier to use the 3rd row and they seem pretty adult friendly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts