Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance' and I test drove a used Kia Sorento today and I thought I would share our thoughts and a few general questions we had.

First off, she just graduated college and will be a Teacher this upcoming school year so I am wanting to get her a new/newer vehicle and we have been shopping the last month or so. I hadn't considered the Sorento mainly due to not liking the look in pictures. But I decided to drive one today and we loved it. Pictures don't do it justice. It's 1,000x better looking in person. We have also been looking at Equinox's, Escapes(older body style), Murano's, etc. and after driving the Sorento today I loved it. It beats the others by a landslide in terms of exterior and interior quality.

The one we looked at today was a 2011 LX 4 cyl. We can't afford brand new so will need to buy a 2011 or 2012.

Now the questions.

--Does the LX not have an avg MPG display? I saw the display for the total miles and the trip, but nothing for an avg MPG. If it doesn't have this, that's extremely odd.

--Does the LX have no outside or inside temperature display? Thought this was strange also considering her current car is 12 years old and has both of those.

--And is it true the powertrain warranty doesn't transfer to the next owner? I've heard 2 things on this. That it doesn't transfer at all. And that it transfers up to 5 years/60k miles, along with whatever other warranty remains until 5 years/60k(roadside, basic, etc.)

Thanks for the help.
-Bill

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about the MPG display in the lower trim levels, but to toggle to mine i just keep pressing the little black trip/reset button inside the gauge cluster and it eventually scrolls to it. I'm not sure if this is an EX+ thing or not.

The outside temp display is infact an EX+ trim level thing. It's built into the dual zone climate control display which the LX's dont have.

The Canadian warranty does infact transfer and I would imagine that it would be the same for the US. I bought mine used and walked right into the dealer and have had a bunch of warranty work done with no problems.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 Sorento SX AWD
39 Posts
Glad you liked it. I was skeptical as well until we test drove it. It was a 4 month research project that the family was involved in (after totaling our paid-for-loved 2003 Expedition). To answer warranty - just have to refer you to: Kia Cars, SUVs, Crossovers, Minivans, & Future Vehicles | Kia Motors America Warranty. Looks like you're right on 2011+ ... 120months/100k original owner only, 60months/60k subsequent owners.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
Really consider the upper level models EX or SX. The LX is the basic- get people in to the showroom -price vehicle. As such there are not a lot of options available and the vehicle suffers with great depreciation in price. I would think there would be many other non SUVs she could consider that would give her better gas mileage, etc, for the same pricing. There have been some problems with early 2011s, especially with the 4 cyl FWDs. Look through this site and then beware.

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Sorento notes

X2 on finding an EX.

Generally speaking, the Sorento is a feature rich vehicle with average reliability and better than average warranty..

It's a nice vehicle if you're have dogs. The Sorento will get poor mileage around town and decent mileage out on the freeway. Also, mileage greatly varies with the caliber of gas being used.

People who have driven all models say that the GDI engine is adequate, but the Sorento shines with the V6. THe V6 is better suited for the weight of the Sorento.

I may be wrong, but there were less problems with the 2012 than the 2011.

You need to keep the tires rotated on the AWD model. As with the Suburus , the AWD can suffer if the tires are unevenly worn. People usually upgrade the stereo speakers. I find the UVO to be a pretty decent stereo.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I believe that the warranty works as follows:

5 year bumper to bumper - This is transferable from one owner to the next.

10 year powertrain warranty (the first 5 years are covered by the bumper to bumper) - This is not transferable from owner to owner *unless* it is recertified by a kia dealership.

I do not have your specific model but I would be shocked if the info cluster was different. You should be able to toggle from miles driven to avg mpg to temp or something like that.

If you can get the V6 I will echo the above posters and encourage it. V6 > I4 in the Sorento.

·
Registered
532 Posts
X2 on the poor mileage around town. The Sorento is great on the highway, but not so good in the city. Not bad, but not great. X2 on also getting the V6. Definitely one of the smoothest V6's out there.

Also, I regret not going for a 2012. My 2011 isn't bad, but you can see where Kia started to update and fix some small quirks as the years went on.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Well, at the end of the day, you're trying to move a 2 ton vehicle around. The energy required to move that in stop and go traffic or city driving is quite substantial. The energy needed to keep her at a steady speed on the highway is much less.

It's still a mystery to me why anyone buys the 4-cyl for such a large vehicle. There just isn't enough torque and you've really got to flog it hard to get this beast moving in city traffic. Adding insult to injury is the fact that the improvement in gas mileage is small to non-existent depending on your driving habits and the increased depreciation on resale compared to the V6.

·
Registered
2013 LX I4 GDI AWD, 2006 S2000
17 Posts
I recently bought a 2013 I4 GDI AWD. I am very pleased with the 191hp 4 cylinder. No problem cruising at 80 mph. No problem passing at 70 mph. No problem climbing the Sierras to Lake Tahoe from the SF Bay Area. I do not have to give any ground to other vehicles because of lack of power. I will be the first to admit that I will not win stop light drag races; the 6 would be nice, but not necessary.
T.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I recently bought a 2013 I4 GDI AWD. I am very pleased with the 191hp 4 cylinder. No problem cruising at 80 mph. No problem passing at 70 mph. No problem climbing the Sierras to Lake Tahoe from the SF Bay Area. I do not have to give any ground to other vehicles because of lack of power. I will be the first to admit that I will not win stop light drag races; the 6 would be nice, but not necessary.
T.
Yup, my preference is definitely for the V6, and I would not be happy without given the way that I drive. But if the I4 is what is in the budget, or if the V6 is pointless given ones driving style, I say go for it. The Sorento is a good deal no matter which way you slice it.

·
Registered
2013 LX I4 GDI AWD, 2006 S2000
17 Posts
"Yup, my preference is definitely for the V6, and I would not be happy without given the way that I drive."

Ah, notice my sig. My track day toy is a completely different animal.
T.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm very interested to see how the new 3.3L GDi performs in the '14 Sorento. The 3.5L is plenty enough as it is!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm very interested to see how the new 3.3L GDi performs in the '14 Sorento. The 3.5L is plenty enough as it is!
I am curious if this motor was designed to be turbo'd the way the I4 was. The I4 is ~190HP in its NA form, and ~270 in its twin turbo'd form. Imagine if that 3.3L V6 could see a similar improvement. It could go from putting out 300HP to putting out 400 hp with torque peaking at real low RPMs. I would still like to see Hyundai/Kia put out a mid size truck with something like this. It could do really well if they set it up and price it right.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am curious if this motor was designed to be turbo'd the way the I4 was. The I4 is ~190HP in its NA form, and ~270 in its twin turbo'd form. Imagine if that 3.3L V6 could see a similar improvement. It could go from putting out 300HP to putting out 400 hp with torque peaking at real low RPMs. I would still like to see Hyundai/Kia put out a mid size truck with something like this. It could do really well if they set it up and price it right.
The 2.0T is a single Turbo, not twin. I do agree that it would be nice to see them put out a Turbocharged V6 Crossover, but the thing is that the V6 is plenty already.

It would be nice to see a Turbo 6 in the SX models though. Similar to what Ford does with their 'Sport' model vehicles. They always throw a bigger engine in those models. (Fusion got the 3.5L, Edge got the 3.7, Explorer got the EcoBoost V6 etc)

It's amazing how well the EcoBoost TT V6 has done for Ford.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The 2.0T is a single Turbo, not twin. I do agree that it would be nice to see them put out a Turbocharged V6 Crossover, but the thing is that the V6 is plenty already.

It would be nice to see a Turbo 6 in the SX models though. Similar to what Ford does with their 'Sport' model vehicles. They always throw a bigger engine in those models. (Fusion got the 3.5L, Edge got the 3.7, Explorer got the EcoBoost V6 etc)

It's amazing how well the EcoBoost TT V6 has done for Ford.
Oh wow I thought it was s twin turbo. That leaves me even more impressed with Hyundai/Kia engineering. The V6 does have enough power, but from a marketing standpoint the more the merrier.

I was more thinking about a mid size truck though. Something more robust, definitely bigger platform than the Sorento. The entire mid size market is the Frontier and the Tacoma, both of which are nice trucks but both of which are absolutely ancient from a drivetrain and featureset point of view. No competition leaves nothing getting updated. Hyundai/Kia have the motor technology and the drivetrain expertise, if they put the right pieces together at the right price I think that they could devastate the established players in the field. I very much doubt this will ever happen, but it is something that I personally would love to see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Given all that info I think we will look at an EX instead with the 3rd row seats and V6. What kind of mpg should I expect with a V6 around the city and is there much difference outside of 1-2 mpg between the FWD and AWD?

Also, is there a bigger SUV then the Sorento that will get better MPG or is overall nicer? I'm worried about the reliability, but then again I have owned a Volkswagen(never again will I own a European vehicle), 2 Chevy's(all kinds of electrical problems, became a PITA), 2 Ford's(minor issues), and a Chrysler(built quality was very weak) product and all had there issues. Only the Volkswagen did I keep until at least 100K and it became a gigantic problem after 100K.

We have cross-shopped the Sorento with the Nox, Escape(older body), and a few others and still felt the Sorento was the nicest overall and looked the most "luxury".

Any ideas will be helpful. This is a gift for my fiance' who just graduated college. We both work for the school corporation so we aren't filled with big bucks so this is an important decision for us and a vehicle we will both be driving as we plan to get rid of our other vehicle eventually and just share a vehicle since we work in the same location.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i'm still just a teenager, so it's hard for me too keep my foot off the gas most of the time, but when I do, I can get about 20 city. On the highway I can get about 29. The 4 cylinder gets bad mileage because think of it, this is no light crossover. That little 4 has to lug around alot of weight. The V6 just works less harder.

We came from GM before moving onto two R50 Pathinders. The japanese SUV's were bulletproof, but pricey to fix and were getting old. Quite honestly, I think the Sorento is built great inside and out. Sure the plastics are hard on the dash, but they aren't hallow or flimsy. You can't pull the interior apart like a toyota or Chrysler product.

I already have 70K on mine and it's only had minor issues, all covered under warranty. I honestly wouldn't worry about reliability. The older bodystyle escapes were nice, but had transmission problems on both the 4 and 6 cylinder. Build quality on the inside wasn't all that great either (lots of cheap plastics). The equnox is known for timing chain tensoner issues and its cheap interior. Not saying the Sorento is perfect by any means, but they definitely hold their own.

I was in your shoes in August of last year. My Pathfinder was becoming a money pit and i've always likes the looks of the Sorento. I ended up finding the cheapest EX V6 in all of ontario and got it. (23k) It did have a few small issues when I got it, but were all covered under warranty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Given all that info I think we will look at an EX instead with the 3rd row seats and V6. What kind of mpg should I expect with a V6 around the city and is there much difference outside of 1-2 mpg between the FWD and AWD?

Also, is there a bigger SUV then the Sorento that will get better MPG or is overall nicer? I'm worried about the reliability, but then again I have owned a Volkswagen(never again will I own a European vehicle), 2 Chevy's(all kinds of electrical problems, became a PITA), 2 Ford's(minor issues), and a Chrysler(built quality was very weak) product and all had there issues. Only the Volkswagen did I keep until at least 100K and it became a gigantic problem after 100K.

We have cross-shopped the Sorento with the Nox, Escape(older body), and a few others and still felt the Sorento was the nicest overall and looked the most "luxury".

Any ideas will be helpful. This is a gift for my fiance' who just graduated college. We both work for the school corporation so we aren't filled with big bucks so this is an important decision for us and a vehicle we will both be driving as we plan to get rid of our other vehicle eventually and just share a vehicle since we work in the same location.
First off congrats for your fiance' for graduating and the both of you for your wedding.

That aside, you're really going to struggle to find anything (cheap) that does better on gas. You could go with a Toyota Highlander (4-Cyl, or Hybrid) and you could go with the Lexus RX450h/400h (used). Both are going to be more than a brand new Sorento. Both will (arguably) be more reliable, and hold their residual better, however, therin lies the problem -- they are more expensive new, and more expensive used.

Also, with the Lexus, you burn premium fuel, so you take a twenty-cent-per-gallon hit over regular unleaded. If you are willing to step down to a smaller SUV, the Equinox/Terrain twins will do better, the Escape will do better, and the Mazda CX-5 will do quite a bit better, but, they are all smaller, and are not as powerful. Then there are the diesels. They are much larger, and get about the same or slightly better MPG, but:
1. You pay the price premium for diesel over regular unleaded
2. Diesels cost more to maintain (Urea injection systems, fuel/air separators, particulate filters, timing belts (At least with VW diesels), fuel injectors...
3. Even if you accepted these (Of which I would because I am a huge diesel fan), you're only going to find these in expensive European vehicles (VW Tourareg, Mercedes ML350 CDI, BMW x5d) or in used Dodge vehicles ('07 & '08 Grand Cherokee CDI, Jeep Liberty CDI) <-- And these weren't very good implementations because they didn't have much power (No Turbo) or fuel economy.

(Although, Jeep announced this year that the '13 Grand Cherokee will have a 3L diesel estimated at 30mpg hwy...But not for Sorento money for sure)

I have the LX V6 and it's pretty good. I wanted the Edge, but the prices were about $5000 more for the edge (Limited) than my LX V6. Granted the Limited is more like an SX V6, however the Edges I was looking at had about 25,000 more miles. Also, the MyTouch system on the Ford has lots of problems with regards to the touchscreen.

Quality is somewhat hard to predict, this chassis of the Sorento hasn't been out very long, so short of that, since I've been here, the biggest complaint I've noticed is that after you get some miles on the V6, it has a terrible thrashing sound (only a few seconds long, after you start it) which is caused by the timing chain tensioners not "pumping up" quick enough. I don't have it yet, but even with only 12k miles, the engine does make a pretty good racket when it starts, but I'll take that over dealing with a timing belt any day.

I would say we get somewhere in the low 20 MPG, mostly city or high-traffic hwy driving. When you consider the size of the vehicle and the fact that it has nearly 300hp, that's pretty good. Even moreso when you consider it does it with 3.5L and on 87 octane. Weight is the main reason, the Sorento is a very light SUV compared to others in its class.

If you're seriously looking at one though, I suggest you take a long test drive or try to rent one for a day or two. The suspension setup is quite harder than you might imagine. When you first drive it, it feels very sporty because of it, but as you drive it longer, you begin to wish Kia dialed it back a few notches. I'm sure others will disagree, but I came from a BMW 135I with the M-Sport package and even it didn't ride as firm (With run-flats, nevertheless!).

My last dribble of advice is this: this is a biased forum -- most of us here are here because we own one. For impartial advice (At least with regards to fuel mileage) you owe it to yourself to go to Fuel Economy. Lots of people find fault in the EPA's mileage calculation, so I tend to look at the "real world rating" where you can see the difference.

Best of luck with your journey!

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
104 Posts
I have the 2011 4 cylinder, came from an 06 EX 6 cylinder. I can definitely tell the difference, but don't miss the extra power. As one poster said, it's enough, unless you're looking to race, which you're not in an SUV, anyway. It has everything except heated seats, and my gas mileage (I deliver papers, so it's ALL stop and go) ranges from 13-16 on any given day. A bit more then then 13 I was getting with the V6...I like it, I'm glad I got it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts