Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2016 Kia Sorento SX preowned with 16,000 miles. Literally, the night I took ownership of the car I could not get the sunroof closed. It started to rain...real hard. I forced it closed and brought it to the Kia dealer who charged me $65 to apply lubricant. A few months later, it began closing very slowly, then in November it refused to close again. I forced it closed and figured I just deal with it in the spring after it warmed up. However, I had an unrelated issue, called Kia corporate and was told the functionality of the sunroof was not covered under warranty and I would be forced to pay for it to be lubricated at the dealership. After further research, I've learned this issue is pretty common. In fact, I've also learned my car was at a different Kia dealership with the exact same problem in March 2016.
How can an automotive manufacturer cast the burden of such an obvious defect onto the consumer? 3 times for the same problem for a 2016 model and they want me to pay for a fix?

This is the 4th and most likely last Kia purchase. Never had a problem like this with my Toyota's and Honda's.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
808 Posts
I bought a 2016 Kia Sorento SX preowned with 16,000 miles. Literally, the night I took ownership of the car I could not get the sunroof closed. It started to rain...real hard. I forced it closed and brought it to the Kia dealer who charged me $65 to apply lubricant. A few months later, it began closing very slowly, then in November it refused to close again. I forced it closed and figured I just deal with it in the spring after it warmed up. However, I had an unrelated issue, called Kia corporate and was told the functionality of the sunroof was not covered under warranty and I would be forced to pay for it to be lubricated at the dealership. After further research, I've learned this issue is pretty common. In fact, I've also learned my car was at a different Kia dealership with the exact same problem in March 2016.

How can an automotive manufacturer cast the burden of such an obvious defect onto the consumer? 3 times for the same problem for a 2016 model and they want me to pay for a fix?

This is the 4th and most likely last Kia purchase. Never had a problem like this with my Toyota's and Honda's.

How many of your Toyota/Hondas had a panoramic sunroof?
By the way there's an extensive thread on this topic already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17' Sorento SXL V6 AWD, 14' Mazda6 GT w/ Tech, 16 Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory, 14' BMW S1000R
836 Posts
Yep it seems that 5/10yr warranty is a scam. But we also buy kia Hyundai for the features and price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something. Did you ask a question? I'll ask you one, how many miles of your Sorento when you bought it used? How many now?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
682 Posts
Lubricating the sunroof is not covered under warranty as it is normal maintenance. However a TSB on this issue was released earlier this year. To fix the problem the tilt shoes are replaced. This IS covered under warranty. Sounds like you need a dealer that knows how to search for know issues that Kia has issued a fix for. I posted the document in another thread on this topic.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Yep it seems that 5/10yr warranty is a scam. But we also buy kia Hyundai for the features and price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk [/QUOTE

Your new car warranty is 5 year, 60,000 miles, covers most all, and a 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.
I have worked for many diff car company's, for over 30 years. Kia's warranty is no better or worse than any "other" company's.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX+
22 Posts
How many of your Toyota/Hondas had a panoramic sunroof?
By the way there's an extensive thread on this topic already.
Sometimes in polite society we have been taught that if you don't have something nice or helpful to say, we should not touch our keyboard. Sometimes searches on these forums are difficult to get useful results. Let's try to give people the benefit of the doubt and not discourage their sharing.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX+
22 Posts
Lubricating the sunroof is not covered under warranty as it is normal maintenance. However a TSB on this issue was released earlier this year. To fix the problem the tilt shoes are replaced. This IS covered under warranty. Sounds like you need a dealer that knows how to search for know issues that Kia has issued a fix for. I posted the document in another thread on this topic.
Thanks, this is helpful to know there is a TSB on this.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX T- turbo
2 Posts
2016 KIA Sorento SX-T Panoramic Sunroof won't close.

My dealer here in Montreal, tells me I need the tracks of the panoramic sunroof greased. This is the third time it needs greasing. A complete sham. I am glad I found this thread from jasonamd.
The tilt shoes is something I will definitely look into with KIA Canada right away.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Word for word, literally same car same mileage and this fricken sun/moonroof is one of the reasons I got the dumb car, worked for maybe a week in and off and now just won’t open. I never had a problem with my Toyota either and this is where you know what you’re getting for what you’re paying, I’m livid and almost hate my car now:/

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,401 Posts
@Kristymouse
There's a TSB for your problem, well known by dealers. You don't say year or mileage, but if you're still covered, you won't pay anything to get it fixed. Had my '16 done within the first year of its life @ about 13,500 miles.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,140 Posts
Word for word, literally same car same mileage and this fricken sun/moonroof is one of the reasons I got the dumb car, worked for maybe a week in and off and now just won’t open. I never had a problem with my Toyota either and this is where you know what you’re getting for what you’re paying, I’m livid and almost hate my car now:/
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
49 Posts
Same for me, but dealership ordered a new frame and they are replacing the entire roof. I suppose it depends on the dealership, mine could not be more willing to solve this problem.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima SX-T
8 Posts
Cleaned up my panoroof tracks yesterday and the lube looks like it could used replaced. A little preventive maintenance. Gonna order the lubes today. No problems with the panoroof and use it a lot. My favorite option on these. Can understand the frustration when they break but its happening to everybody else with panoroofs too, its not just Kia. Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Porshe, VW, Ford.... Its a huge piece of glass up there. Have to agree that Kia/Hyundai aren't very forthcoming about maintaining these things. Whats kind of interesting is that some of the other manufacturers like to send these repairs out to 3rd partys but Kia/Hyundai like to keep the party to themselves. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts