Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have a question? A big one at that... I have had some problems finding after market oil filter that fit correctly for my 2004 KIA Sorento LX. I bought a high performance oil filter from a company called Amsoil and I started to get oil leaks. Now I have been using the OEM oil filter but I am using synthetic oil which can has longer drain intervals than the OEM oil filter. I have now found a high performance oil from K&N. I was wondering if anyone has any advise on this particular filter K&N HP1004 or others that have longer change intervals.

Ravi

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've read reports that say K&N's etc don't actually filter as well.
The OEM filter will last as long as the oil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by kia4life@Feb 22 2005, 12:13 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a question? A big one at that... I have had some problems finding after market oil filter that fit correctly for my 2004 KIA Sorento LX. I bought a high performance oil filter from a company called Amsoil and I started to get oil leaks. Now I have been using the OEM oil filter but I am using synthetic oil which can has longer drain intervals than the OEM oil filter. I have now found a high performance oil from K&N. I was wondering if anyone has any advise on this particular filter K&N HP1004 or others that have longer change intervals.

Ravi
Ravi,

I don't have any information on the specific oil filter in question. I run Mobil-1 synthetic in my '05 EX with an OEM filter with no apparent problems. I've seen a few posts here and on other forums discussing compatibility issues with aftermarket oil filters and the Sorento. While I would prefer to run a well-designed aftermarket oil filter, I don't think the advantages would offset the warranty woes if my aftermarket filter failed to seat properly, ran the pan dry and then I asked KIA to rebuild my engine under warranty.

I do question the advisability of running longer drain intervals with synthetic oil. I know that it's widely advocated (especially by the folks that are selling you the oil!)While it is true that the synth oil can withstand higher temps and will not break down as fast, it gets just as dirty, just as fast as dinosaur oil. I've been changing oil every 3,750 miles in the KIA and I can tell you it's FILTHY when I drain it. I will probably advance my schedule to every 3,000 miles. I drive pretty easy, about two miles of city streets and 20 freeway miles twice a day, plus a little around town driving during the weekends. I don't pull a trailer or in any way torment the car, and with the exception of a flood or two lately, our Southern California weather doesn't present many hardships on the engine. Dirty oil has diminished lubricating properties, just like broken down oil does. Once your synthetic oil gets dirty, it has lost any advantage over clean, dino oil.

So there's my two cents worth, and I'll get off my soapbox now.

Best Regards! :grin:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Kia Reccomends 5k Oil changes for sorrents and 7500 for sedonas. Climate permitting. If your driving in a dusty dry area go less. If the air is clean and most your ok. There filters are designed to last 7500 Miles.

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
I change my oil every 3000 - 3500 miles. I always have and always will. Even if Kia say I can wait to do it every 5000 miles. Waiting that long would drive me nuts!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Running Mobil 1 in my Sedona CRDI, dealer filled with factory oil filter. No problems or leaks at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
help with changing spark plugs on 2005 sorento. i do have some mechanical skills. I hear it its difficult. but i am broke and need to save where i can. big thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento LX 4WD
35 Posts
I would HIGHLY recommend using the factory Kia/Hyundai filter 26300-35503 on your Sorento. Go to your local dealer and buy some or order them online

·
Registered
2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)
2,878 Posts
I would HIGHLY recommend using the factory Kia/Hyundai filter 26300-35503 on your Sorento. Go to your local dealer and buy some or order them online
I did as well on my 2004 3.5L. But only now that I have found a source for OEM on the NET for bulk at a fair price compared to OEM dealer counter for then 26300-35503) fits both my SOUL's still too. Before that and on many other vechs I always used if not WIX 41344/NAPA 1344 or was it 41334/1334? WIX made NAPA. Have not looked in few years now. The rest like the AMSOIL HP4 (multi fit) IMHO are not good. Yes the WIX is a multi fit too for sure. But that is a narrower fit multi fit, not like the AMSOIL HP4 that tells you it fits everything from an EDSEL on that is not a DIESEL. ;)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 9 of 9 Posts