Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*TO ALL MEMBERS AND TO THOSE WHO CARE*

I am trying to get the best gas mileage and performance out of my 2004 KIA Sorento LX. I have already installed the K&N Air Filter and used the Lucas Fuel Treatment every 15,000 Miles. But now I am leaning towards the Spark Plugs. I already found the spark plugs I would like to use (NGK Iridium IX Plug; BKR5EIX-11), but now how do I install them. I took the engine cover off but I am honestly confused???? Please I need some advise on how to get the spark plugs installed???

*IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS YOU CAN REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE OR E-MAIL ME AT [email protected]*

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just went through this fruitless exercise. First, the spark plugs are located in the center of each double-overhead-cam head underneath a plastic shield. The left bank on the 3.5L V6 has coils mounted directly to the tops of the spark plugs with wires leading across the rear of the engine to the right bank where they have conventional spark plug caps.

To remove the left spark plug shield, you need to remove several brackets and unplug all the wires on the harness that comes out from the rear of the left cylinder bank. Also, you need to remove the throttle holdown clamp and release the cruise control cable guide by twisting the elbow to an upright position. This releases the elbow from the actuator and allows you to pull the cable out on its fabric tape (rope) and fold the cable out of the way. There's two steel vacuum lines along the front of the head that must be loosened by removing two bolts to gain clearance for the cover.

The cover is held on with 5 10mm bolts. The center-bottom one goes through a wire bracket. All the wires and plugs must be folded up over the top of the intake manifold to get the plastic cover out. It lifts up then slides downward toward the exhaust until it clears the intake runners, then comes out toward the front.

I didn't get to the right side because I didn't have time tonight to pull the coil-on-plugs to replace the left spark plugs. According to AllData, it's a 2.5 hour job - Sheesh; it took me that long to find out I couldn't do it in one night!!!

Bob Peloquin
Massachusetts, USA

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bpeloquin

Thanks a million man. It is exactly what assumed it would be and that is a lot of time. Sounds like you have it down. I will try doing mine 9/24. Let me know how the other side goes if there was anything weird you ran into. Again I appreciate your help and great explaination.

*IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS YOU CAN REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE OR E-MAIL ME AT [email protected]*

·
Banned
417 Posts
Unless there is a problem with sparkplugs I really don't see going through all that work. :banana: Just changing your standard plugs will gain you very little if anything and cost you the price of the plugs. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
According to Kia, the stock (Platinum) plugs are supposed to be changed at 60,000 miles. Some won't make it that far before needing replacement.

The 3.5L V6 uses a wasted-spark ignition system with double-ended coils for each pair of spark plugs. This system fires both plugs on each coil at the same time with only the one on the compression stroke producing ignition. This system erodes one plug's center electrode before the other causing uneven ignition over time.

I'm experiencing some cold-start misfiring and have been advised by Kia to perform regular tune-up procedures before assuming it's a covered warranty item. This would include replacing spark plugs, of course. The other suspect item would be the 3 spark plug wires which go from the left bank (where the coils reside) to the right bank across the rear of the engine. Wires seem like they'd be a warranty item as they don't actually 'wear out' like plugs do.

I've got a service appointment next Wednesday and plan to put in fresh NGK plugs this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

Bob Peloquin
Massachusetts, USA

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
OOOOOOOO I bet you guys wish they sold diesels in USA !!!

Derek :banana: :460:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I changed mine at 56,000 miles. The stock Champion plugs' center electrodes all looked fine but the ground electrodes were pretty worn away. I put in NGK Double Platinum plugs with anti-sieze on the threads. The second layer of platinum covering the ground electrode should increase their service life.

Here's the details on changing the right bank's plugs (left bank was detailed above)

Remove the intake tube and air filter box lid, disconnecting the airflow sensor cable and pulling out the small air hose near the throttle body. Remove the bottom half of the airbox for easier access to the brackets and such. The intake tube comes out of the airbox with a little pressure on the inside edges of the elbow's latches.

Remove the intake manifold support bracket and unplug the connectors on the wire harness attached to the rear of the valve cover. Remove the throttle body hold-down bolts and lift the throttle body off the intake manifold, leaving it attached to the coolant and vacuum hoses. Disconnect the cruise control cable and throttle cable from the throttle body bellcrank (there's a metal lip over the throttle cable that needs to be bent out of the way to release the cable). Move the throttle body out of the way.

Remove the first 4 easy to reach 10mm bolts holding the plastic cover onto the head. The 5'th one at the upper rear is blocked by a hose clamp. I was able to twist the clamp out of the way enough to get a socket onto the bolt but it must be mostly removed by hand. I guarranty no dealer's mechanic will ever put this bolt back in so neither did I.

The spark plug caps are difficult to pull out of their wells. I found it easier to fold the bottom up over the outside of the assembly to gain a better grip then twist and pull to remove. The center one would have been impossible to remove without taking the throttle body off. The rear one is a tight fit but does come out with a little persuasion.

Bob Peloquin
Sorento LX 3.5l V6 4WD

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
52 Posts
What kind of stock plug do they use? Did I see Champion brand? What would you recommend? I am going to try to replace the plugs. Mine started with the cold start misfire then I went on a log trip and now it runs rough and the check engine light is on. I can tell it is the plugs misfiring big time. How long would you say the entire job of replacing all 6 plugs would be? I need to set some time to do it but I don’t want to get involved and it becomes a 2 day project.
Thanks for all your help
Jeff

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Bob,

Great reply.

I'm not a Sorento but a Sedona owner.

Recently I replied to a post from someone asking where the spark plugs were on a Sorento or a Sedona, I can't remember which and I thought they were taking the mick and I answered as such.

I'll not do that again.

Good Grief! all that to change spark plugs, any Sorento owner has got their work cut out.
Seacam

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used NGK Double Platinum plugs. They're about 12-15 dollars apiece depending on where you get them from. It took about 3 hours total to do the plugs. Not exactly difficult, but you do need some extensions and all 3 (1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive) ratchets and lots of extensions plus the universal joints.

It's not so much that any part of it is difficult, but that so much has to come off to access the plugs. Any decent back-yard mechanic with a full set of tools should be able to do it in a morning or afternoon. Best start with a cold engine though...

Good time to change your belts too. 2 are easy; the A/C belt requires you to drop the front under-engine pan to access the tensioner. Most auto-parts stores didn't stock the A/C belt, but I found it at a NAPA store in town.

Bob Peloquin
'03 Sorento
Massachusetts, USA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, everyone,
This is my first post as a new member.
The reason I am on this page is because I also want to change plugs on my 03 Sorento EX. The brand I'm choosing ( based on past experience ), is the Bosch platinum +4. I installed these on my 99 F-150 and they performed better than advertised. Gas mileage was up noticeably and the extra power was amazing.
These plugs are designed similar to aircraft plugs with four ground electrodes which always ensures a path to ground. If one deteriorates, there are three more.
They were well worth the extra money!

Fred
Ont. Canada
PS
Thanks all, for the info on changing the plugs on this machine. I will post again on the Bosch performance when I get it done.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento EX, 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34, 1999 Chevrolet Prizm
66 Posts
are the stock plugs Champion platinum plugs or Champion standard plugs? i think when it's time to change mine i'll go with AC Delco platinums for a third of the cost of the NGK platinums. sorry but i find it hard to justify spending over 10 dollars per plug for regular vehicle use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts