Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Kia sorento 2.2 awd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks i have a 2012 2.2 awd sorento. for the past 5 month i have had a funny clicking noise under acceleration.. it was very intermittent when it started so i sent it to my local dealership who couldn't find anything wrong..
over the last few week its started to get more regular. between xmas n new year i jacked up the front of the car and had a good look around.. nothing was obvious i checked bearings. track rods, anti roll bar, CV joints prop and suspension. any where i thought could cause it...
the only thing i could feel was a slight clunking in the near side front driveshaft when handbrake on under load. i whipped off the boot. packed it with grease thinking if it quietened the noise i had found the problem and could replace it.. on the test drive the noise went quiet for about 20 minutes then returned so thought i had found the problem. today it went to my local garage who i have used for the past 20 years. he jacked up the car and said he could find fault with the out or inner CV joint . the only fault he could find was on the other side on the inner shaft bearing bracket.. it was making a funny movement when he turned the offside wheel almost like a jumping movement when rotated. though he wasn't 100% this would cure the problem.
looking on the net it looks like a dealer part only and a expensive part to replace just on a hunch.
has anyone had a similar problem or could my first hunch be correct and its indeed a CV joint.

·
Registered
Kia sorento 2.2 awd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thanks ron tried but keep getting server error. will try again tomorrow

·
Registered
Kia sorento 2.2 awd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks vim even though mine is the manual 2.2 version im guessing its a similar part in both auto and manual thats id in the link. you sent. in the uk a new hub and bearing is about £43 ($56) so wondering if it would be as easy to change the whole thing. providing the washer is inc

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
758 Posts
Not sure where exactly the hub washer is located. It may not be part of a new hub and bearing assembly. I'd imagine the hub washer would be the same regardless of the engine or transmission.

There's a PDF in one of the threads provided by another forum member in Germany. The $20 is for both sides. The part number is in the thread. You can check with your local Kia dealer how much the part would cost you.

I would do both, if you're going to do this. In pounds, I believe it would be less than about £6 per side. Have a look at the PDF. I would approach it is try to spend as little as possible until you know what the issue is.

·
Registered
Kia sorento 2.2 awd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a Google search on the parts number and found several links to Poland. Belgium ect where the same washer part had broke. It looks like a easy replacement once the hub is removed from the outer CV. I'm going to ring my local Kia once they open.
I will keep you updated on my findings
Thanks again for the link's

·
Registered
Kia sorento 2.2 awd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I guess it was ready ?. Order 2 from dealers this morning
£1.88p plus tax. 2 came to £6.18p. Fingers crossed it fixes the clicking

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
758 Posts
It was driving me crazy. Simetimes it seemed that I was the only one hearing it. It took quite a long time to finally get this resolved and, with Kia's support, to address this while the dealer tried to fix this, under warranty. Much thanks to the forum member for helping as well.

Thanks for the picture of the old one. The new one is metal.

Can you take pictures to help others that may want to do this themselves. It sounds like it should be a straightforward DIY project. Maybe pictures of where the part is located or any issues tor watch out for. I've never taken off a hub but it looks like many have done this for one reason or another.

Hopefully this resolves your issue.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
758 Posts
I was thinking about the image of the old hub washer that was posted. I would think that this would happen sooner or later to a Sorento that has this washer.

I recommend that any Sorento owner that is thinking of keeping their ride for an extended period of time, that they should have these checked or just go ahead and change them to the newer part. The old part is rubber or plastic or some similar material while the new part is metal. Hopefully, the metal replacement part lasts longer.

I believe car manufacturers are only required to have parts for a car model to satisfy warranty requirements. They may have parts for longer than that or may have additional parts in stock beyond that period, but car manufacturers are not required to have parts for our Sorento's forever. Aftermarket manufacturers may make parts after the manufacturer stops making them, but they'd only probably make those parts where there is a demand or larger profit, I'd imagine.

Bottom line, have the parts replaced if you plan on keeping your Sorento for a while. On the plus side, it's a relatively inexpensive fix, for now :)

·
Registered
Kia sorento 2.2 awd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2 new washers fitted and it looks like it's solved the problem
Initially I was going to remove brake caliper/disc so I could remove the hub. This was not going to happen unless I used a lot of heat and I didn't want to damage the bearing.
Well I ended up removing the two bolts on the strut,

the track rod end

and the lower wishbone bolt

which allowed me to remove the hub and housing

Once it's removed it's a case of fitting the new washer and putting it all back together.
Have to say it's a top end DIY job as you need a splitter for the track rod and lower wishbone and a puller for removing the CV joint from the hub..

New washer on the right. New ones are now metal not plastic

Back of hub

New washer in place

Parts number from Kia

·
Registered
Kia sorento 2.2 awd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forgot to add. The washers have little retaining tons to hold them in place whilst you reassemble. Light tap with a hammer will set them in place.

Also the dust guard on the wheel hub. 3x 10mm bolts hold it in position. If you remove these bolts it will allow you to rotate the dust cover (you can't remove it with hub in place) making the other bolts more accessible

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
758 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I'm sure this will help others.

Yes, I'd agree that it's probably only for those DIY that have much more experience and access to the proper tools. Way more than I could handle or that I would want to handle. Sometimes, things pop up and if you don't know what to do or if you don't have the tools, you're stuck. At least the parts are inexpensive and the labour is only 1 to 2 hours.

Hopefully this solved the clicking. When mine was fixed, I was thinking what would happen if these washers were not replaced. Not sure.

·
Registered
Kia sorento 2.2 awd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think there more of a cover to prevent muck n debris getting in the back of the bearings/VC splines. I did notice I got about half a turn on the crown nut holding the bearing in-place. This was prob the slack from where the washer disintegrated. CV joint and /or possibly bearing wear imo would be the probably outcome...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts