Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2013 SX with Nav
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2013 Kia Sorento with the Push Start. I had a car starter installed today and now I can't unlock my car door from the little button on my door handle when I start the car with the car starter, but need to use the remote.

Does anyone know a way to disable this feature? I was told it was a 2013 Kia issue.

My husband has a 2011 Kia Optima with the push start and had the same starter added to his today and he does not have this problem.

Thanks!
Karleen

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento
2 Posts
Push Start

The only way that you can get in is to hold the remote start button for 3-seconds and you will hear all of your doors unlock. That feature disables all of the functions of the Kia if the remote start button is used. I have an Audiovox Remote Start. That function is not necessarily a problem. The remote start bypasses all of the features on the Kia as the remote start module takes over. Once you disengage it using the remote start remote, it goes back to the vehicle function. The Start Button is great. But, it changes the way we use to do things. As far as why your husband's car works and yours doesn't, it may be that he has a different brand of remote start or that vehicle is wired differently.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2013 SX with Nav
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that's how I'm supposed to open the doors with the car starter, but I am looking for a way to have the car bypass the current way it works. I want to be able to use the little black button to open the door, and not have to get my keys out.

I am hoping someone knows a way I can do this, even If I have to take it back to the dealer to have them do it for me.

I love not having to dig out my keys, one of the best things about my car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
766 Posts
My remote start behaves the same. It's a viper 5501..

It is a KIA issue. You can prove it by forgetting about the remote start and do the following...get in your car and start it normally. From them on, you cannot lock or unlock the car doors with the KIA remote. Some cars keep the factory remote active while some don't. For some reason, the Optima is one that keeps the remote active.

I asked about it before the remote starter was installed and that's what I was told and shown.

I'm still trying to figure out if there's any way around it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 kia sorento sx. The lock/unlock button in the car doesn't do anything. The lock button on the fob doesn't lock the doors. The only way I can lock the door is to manually lock each door while i'm in the car. The unlock button on the remote works.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Hi I have a 2013 Kia Sorento with the Push Start. I had a car starter installed today and now I can't unlock my car door from the little button on my door handle when I start the car with the car starter, but need to use the remote.

Does anyone know a way to disable this feature? I was told it was a 2013 Kia issue.

My husband has a 2011 Kia Optima with the push start and had the same starter added to his today and he does not have this problem.

Thanks!
Karleen
I installed a remote start on a push-button Sorento 2 weeks ago, and worked like you described. The buttons on the door handles were inoperative with the remote start engaged. The unlock button on the transmitter needed to be pressed to unlock the doors. I haven't installed one in an Optima wuth push-button start yet, but I do know the Optima uses slightly different electronics than the Sorento. This may be why the operation is different.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
104 Posts
I have a 2011 Sorento, and I can't unlock my doors any way except for the remote start fob..I have to push the button real quick twice, then it only unlocks the driver's door...weird how different cars work with different starters.(push button start)

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
766 Posts
Siebs, is this with the remote start fob? Please provide more info.

Crazy, is this push button start? Which make and model remote start do you have?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 Luxury
89 Posts
Mine does this also but, only when I start it with the remote start remote. Its a the security in the "bypass" for the push start. Just remember when you use the remote start you have to go old school to get in. ;)

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup EX
1 Posts
2013 kia sorento sx. The lock/unlock button in the car doesn't do anything. The lock button on the fob doesn't lock the doors. The only way I can lock the door is to manually lock each door while i'm in the car. The unlock button on the remote works.
I have a similar issue with my 2010 Forte Koupe EX. I do have remote start. Just bought it and the dealer never went through the remote with us. Been doing research on using the remote start.

Key fob won't lock the doors, it will unlock. When I try remote start (pushing lock, then the blue key) the car beeps once when the lock is pressed and three times when the blue key is pressed.

We just yesterday figured out we even had remote start. I've read two beeps mean the car is in Valet mode, but I am pretty sure it beeped three times.

Edit: Sorry - I just realized I was in the Sorento forum.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
422 Posts
I've had a Viper 5301 installed for about 3 years now on my 2011 EX V6 AWD, Push button start. Same as everyone else. When I use the remote start, I have to open the car with the remote start dongle. Just the way it works...

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bet it's the car's computer thinking the car is locked and a thief is trying to use a coat hanger to "unlock" the car via the unlock button.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
576 Posts
It's the way it works.
You use the car's remote start to start your car, use it to unlock the car too.

I find no problem with this situation, its just that it only unlocks the driver side not all doors.

One instance that i wish it does otherwise:
Its snowing like hell and im carrying my son's carseat. I hit unlock by the remote start fob then it unlocks the driver's door. I have to open the driver's door then push the 'unlock all doors' then close it again then open my left passenger side to put my son on the carseat base.

Kinda PITA right?

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
766 Posts
That might be a setting that could be set by the dealer. Does the standard remote only open the driver's door or all of the doors?

With mine, if I unlock once, only the driver's door unlocks. A second press unlocks all doors. It works that way with my Kia FOB and with the remote start FOB.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts