Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2011 Platinum diesel
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I want to replace my Kia's old stereo, but struggling to find the correct wiring diagram, it says its the G760 model,

Connector A seems to be standard, Connector B only has three wires, connector C appears to have all the wires, so I am guessing this is the speakers, but cant seem to find a diagram to confirm, also if anyone has seen a harness for this let me know

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
741 Posts
In looking at the upload from Beda, I'm guessing that the LVDS wires are the ones carrying the audio. I did a quick search and found that LVDS stands for Low-Voltage Differential Signaling. They probably carry digital output and would likely mean that you have an amplifier somewhere, probably under your front passenger seat. The amplifier then has the wiring that goes to the speakers.

If the radio had speaker outputs, there probably would have been 8 wires for them...positive and negative for each of 4 speakers.

If you want to replace your radio, the replacement will either have some kind of interface to feed the amplifier what it expects or you need to re-wire to use the speaker wires that go to the amplifier.

These are just my guesses and there are probably many other details in doing what you're looking to do.

I suggest asking a local stereo shop for advice and the cost to replace the radio.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks VM, yes was thinking the same, Yes have a amp under the car seat, hopefully someone can confirm, have ordered a Proper harness for it (designed for one with amplifier), hopefully that will solve the issue.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
741 Posts
You should make sure it will do what you want it to do and will work with the specific Sorento / radio. The page on the link you provided describes it as a SWC which interfaces with the steering wheel controls and doesn't mention an amplifier.

I'm trying to do the same thing for my Canadian 2012 model SX that has navigation and under-seat amplifier. The module I'm looking at is the Axxess Integrate AX-HYKIA4-SWC Factory Integration Adapter Connect a new car stereo and retain steering wheel controls and factory amp in select 2010-13 Hyundai and Kia vehicles at Crutchfield which clearly talks about amplifier, SWC and rear camera retention. I'm pretty sure this isn't usable for your model, though.

Best bet is to try to get a hold of any manual to read the details.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks mate, yes dont think this will be as simple as I hoped

·
Registered
2010 Kia Sorento AWD Platinum (2.2l CRDi)
13 Posts
OK that's interesting.. have been trying to solve this also and you gents may have solved it for me. The aftermarket android I purchased has all the speaker outputs in Connector B and I have the amplified 2010 XM model also but was trying to work it out from the PA710 diagram.

Looks like theres no choice but to bypass the amp

Otherwise, looking at the difference between the two, if pins 1,2,6 are used to power on the amp relay (PA760), then 3,4,5,7,8 would most probably still be used for low-level input into the amp as the pins still exist on the PA760.

For the record, I purchased this unit:

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
741 Posts
What is the model radio you are replacing? I would make sure the schematics you're using are specifically for your make / model of Sorento and radio setup. They vary greatly and don't assume that something for another model is what you require. Also, better to check voltages or resistance on various wires before plugging in, if you can.

Key issues are whether or not you have a can-bus or not. If you bypass the amplifier, this won't be an issue. If you bypass the amp and attach the android head unit to the speakers you'll want to check what the speaker impedance is.

I'm trying to install an android head unit and I'd prefer not to mess with the amplifier setup and I did not want to bypass it and go directly to the speakers.

In any case, I believe most head units with built-in amplifiers where speakers are directly attached to the head unit are designed for 4 ohm speakers. I mention this since my setup, a Canadian / North American 2012 Sorento with the Infinity navigation unit and amplifier under the passenger seat uses 2 ohm speakers. This means if I were to bypass the amplifier then the head unit would be putting out too much for the 2 ohm speakers. You can read up on it on many places on the web.

I found a good summary here: Can 2 ohm speakers be used on a 4 ohm stereo system? - Quora

Basic info in that post:

Can 2 ohm speakers be used on a 4 ohm stereo system?

Yes, but...

Let's say you have a 100W amplifier designed to drive a 4 ohm load. This means that the amplifier is designed to provide

V=sqrt(P∗R)=sqrt(100∗4)=20V

and

I=sqrt(P/R)=sqrt(100/4)=5A

If we don't want to overload the amplifier then we won't want to exceed these limits. So a 2 ohm load can be given a maximum of

P=I2∗R=5∗5∗2=50W

without driving the amplifier out of its designed specifications. This maximum current will occur when the volume knob isn't at maximum, so it will be quite easy to wind the wick up too far.

So the amplifier won't be able to deliver the "nameplate" power into the load.

Most amplifiers are voltage rail limited. If we assume that the amplifier has 20V rails (per above) then the amplifier could, in theory, attempt to deliver

P=V2/R=20∗20/2=200W

Depending on the amplifier, this could simply result in distortion until an output protection circuit engages, or it could blow up the output stage, or it could blow up the speakers.
This also has good info: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/2-ohm-vs-4-ohm-speakers

FYI, I found a module that supposedly works for my setup. Waiting for it to arrive. What once took a few days now seems to take forever to arrive...I guess this is going to be the new normal...at least for a while.

I'll be posting my experiences once I'm sure the module works. Hopefully within the next week or two.

One last piece of advice...don't believe what the Chinese Android head unit manufacturers tell you :) If there is a user forum for your device, that's where you'll get the best help and experiences for your device.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the model radio you are replacing? I would make sure the schematics you're using are specifically for your make / model of Sorento and radio setup. They vary greatly and don't assume that something for another model is what you require. Also, better to check voltages or resistance on various wires before plugging in, if you can.

Key issues are whether or not you have a can-bus or not. If you bypass the amplifier, this won't be an issue. If you bypass the amp and attach the android head unit to the speakers you'll want to check what the speaker impedance is.

I'm trying to install an android head unit and I'd prefer not to mess with the amplifier setup and I did not want to bypass it and go directly to the speakers.

In any case, I believe most head units with built-in amplifiers where speakers are directly attached to the head unit are designed for 4 ohm speakers. I mention this since my setup, a Canadian / North American 2012 Sorento with the Infinity navigation unit and amplifier under the passenger seat uses 2 ohm speakers. This means if I were to bypass the amplifier then the head unit would be putting out too much for the 2 ohm speakers. You can read up on it on many places on the web.

I found a good summary here: Can 2 ohm speakers be used on a 4 ohm stereo system? - Quora

Basic info in that post:

This also has good info: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/2-ohm-vs-4-ohm-speakers

FYI, I found a module that supposedly works for my setup. Waiting for it to arrive. What once took a few days now seems to take forever to arrive...I guess this is going to be the new normal...at least for a while.

I'll be posting my experiences once I'm sure the module works. Hopefully within the next week or two.

One last piece of advice...don't believe what the Chinese Android head unit manufacturers tell you :) If there is a user forum for your device, that's where you'll get the best help and experiences for your device.
Thanks Mate, Yes i got the harness which i meant to be for the amplified version, but still no sound, I really dont want to start chopping wires, like you got a Android based new head unit, but think I am out of luck on this one:(, will put the old system back in and read a bit more before attempting again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im guessing the LVDS is what goes to the amp......so not sure about the solultion on this now

·
Registered
Sorento 2.2CRDi (2013)
114 Posts
In manuals is not available navi/radio diagram for XM version of car but only for XM FL (2013+). For XM there is only conectors diagram for ext. amplifier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts