Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Kia owner. Loving my Sportage SX thus far. My local Kia service center (DCH Auto Group) seems fairly organized and the service managers are friendly. But, today I took the car in for a simple 10,000 mile oil change. I asked for synthetic and they said no problem of course. I then asked the manager what type of synth oil do they use. He said Mobil 1 5w30. After receiving my car I asked the tech. He said Pennzoil Synth. Ugh... Does anyone know what they really use or is it diff. at each location?

Anyway, I drive home and park in the garage. I notice a drop or 2 of oil on the floor. I look under and see they forgot to put the filter "hatch door" back! Not a huge deal but, obviously a bad tech/doesn't pay attention to detail. Further, the filter was super oily and they even spilled a bit on the engine dust cover (plastic part that says turbo...".

Seems like the engine is filled correctly via the dipstick. So, just assume a spill. Oh, and the work order said 5w20 and not what I (and the oil cap) asked for.

Is this a normal thing with Kia service centers? Coming from owning an Audi I didn't expect that level of service but, this was pretty crappy and I expect more. Even from Kia. Plus, this was a simple oil change?! God forbid if something really needs to be fixed...

Again, just seeing if this happens a lot. Or, do I need to goto another Dealer?

Thx...

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
I'd go back. Your SX needs 5-30, so if they put 5-20 in, they used the incorrect oil. Also, it doesn't take any more time time to do a clean oil change, so it really isn't acceptable.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2011 (EX-AWD) White
345 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Well... it is probably that irresponsible Tech guy at your dealer. I would report that to their Service Department Head and make sure they are doing their job. I usually also write to KIA to make them aware of this Dealer/Service Center.

I will be mad if they do that to my Sportage. Or just switch to the next KIA service center.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the feedback. I went back today and they couldn't find the oil filter dust cover thing. They ordered me a new one without guff. Yes, sucks but, whatever. Crap happens and not that major. I did say I thought the tech was either hurrying or just not paying attention. They said the work order was written wrong and 5w30 was put in.

Anyway, I'll just keep squeaking until they get it right. After that I may look for a new service center in the area...

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
Seems that I'm not the only one that thinks that if they can't do an oil change right maybe other service will be sub-standard. Job is probably handled by a trainee or work-experience lad.

Some cars don't come with pre-tapped mounts for the number plates, and fitting the plates is another job given to the apprentice mechanic. How many times have you seen a brand-new car with the number plates mounted skew?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage
163 Posts
All of my service work like oil changes are done by my own independent mechanic that has been in business for over 60 years (his grandfather started the business). The guys is very reliable, reasonably priced and honest. I only go to the dealer if warrenty work is involved.

Do yourself a favor, find yourself a good honest independent mechanic for your service work.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX
2 Posts
From my experience it seems that the Kia dealers are the same way here in Phoenix....I've been to three valley phoenix dealers and the service SUCKS! I was actually just there today with my Sportage for the 4th time with the same issue since ive bought the car. Can't seem to stop the oil from leaking. First time they said it was my oil pan, then it was the oil filter somehow got double gasketed. Now the third time they told me they tightened the oil filter and sent me on my way. 4th time (today) they are saying the leak is coming from the timing chain cover....who knows at this point but I have to bring the car back monday and they might not give me a loaner car from what im being told so I just have to say Kias service sucks and if this is the treatment I can come to expect then I know I won't be buying a 2nd Kia. :mad:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From my experience it seems that the Kia dealers are the same way here in Phoenix....I've been to three valley phoenix dealers and the service SUCKS! I was actually just there today with my Sportage for the 4th time with the same issue since ive bought the car. Can't seem to stop the oil from leaking. First time they said it was my oil pan, then it was the oil filter somehow got double gasketed. Now the third time they told me they tightened the oil filter and sent me on my way. 4th time (today) they are saying the leak is coming from the timing chain cover....who knows at this point but I have to bring the car back monday and they might not give me a loaner car from what im being told so I just have to say Kias service sucks and if this is the treatment I can come to expect then I know I won't be buying a 2nd Kia. :mad:
Yikes. You're bleeding. :huh: Sorry to hear about that.

Oh, and guess what? It was 5w20 after all. Yeah... I'm calling back again tomorrow. They're going to hate me which is probably a bad thing. But, I paid for the correct synth oil and I should get that.

I'm not a "serial complainer" and hate being put in the position of having to complain. Especially to simply get what THEY offered me and what the manual clearly states the vehicle requires.

After this is sorted and they out on a trim piece (warranty work) I'm heading to the other dealer/service center in the area.

Again, thanks for all the feedback. Glad to know I'm not alone at least...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All of my service work like oil changes are done by my own independent mechanic that has been in business for over 60 years (his grandfather started the business). The guys is very reliable, reasonably priced and honest. I only go to the dealer if warrenty work is involved.

Do yourself a favor, find yourself a good honest independent mechanic for your service work.
Thank you. Excellent advice. I will see if I can find someone locally. Totally makes sense...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update for those who care: I called again this morning and they swear up and down they put in the correct 5w30 and not 5w20 from their normal barrel they use on non-turbo vehicles. But, I said, it's in the computer and on my receipt as 5w20 and as we all know, what's logged is what really happened. They agreed.

So, they had me come back and they swapped the oil and gave me a new work order receipt. I'm now happy and they apologized. No biggie in my book. Crap happens and as long as they didn't resist my request I told myself I'm fine with that and happy and won't complain any further...

Sure, slight headache? Yeah. We're they nice and fixed their mistake after I pointed it out? Yes. So, all is back to normal in turbo land. ;-)

I'll just be more cautious and make sure they (or any service center) does what they're supposed to do from now on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thx Saxman. I got a hold of this vehicle at 8500 miles. So, can't say it's always been synth oil but, I'll of course make sure it is from now on. Especially where I live in southern California. Always nice and sunny. And hot in the summer...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts